B&W 804S with what pre/amp or integrated amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

B&W 804S with what pre/amp or integrated amp?

Hi guys,

I decided to get the new B&W 804S for my dedicated stereo set up, however, I am unable to decide on which pre/amp or integrated amp to power them.

I listened to the 804S with Rotel RB-1080/RC-1090 combo and they sounded good. However, I am a bit reluctant in getting this combo due to space constraint and the RB-1080 blown fuse issue that people are encountering. I am in the process of looking into the possibility of getting an integrated amp to save space and connection hassle.

Any suggestions regarding which power source to use for the 804S will be greatly appreciated.

Tony
    Last edited by nyny; 29 May 2005, 06:41 Sunday.
    Tony
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

For my 804s in my two-channel system, I use the Classe CAP-101 integrated (100 wpc). It's a great unit. It's a shame B&W decided to double the price of the new Classe line to truly ridiculous proportions.
    A used 101 or CAP-151 would do you fine.
    I'm going to be trying out a Musical Fidelity A-5 and Krell 400xi in the coming weeks to see if there is any improvement over the Classe.

Comment

• nyny
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mark_C.
      For my 804s in my two-channel system, I use the Classe CAP-101 integrated (100 wpc). It's a great unit. It's a shame B&W decided to double the price of the new Classe line to truly ridiculous proportions.
      A used 101 or CAP-151 would do you fine.
      I'm going to be trying out a Musical Fidelity A-5 and Krell 400xi in the coming weeks to see if there is any improvement over the Classe.
      Mark, please do share your experience if you get the chance to try out the MF A-5 and Krell 400xi with your 804s. I am also in the process of borrowing the Krell 400xi from one dealer to try it out with 804s at another dealer.
      Last edited by nyny; 29 May 2005, 06:41 Sunday.
      Tony

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

You could also try the McIntosh MA6500. I got this integrated for my B&W 703 and it was alot better than the RC-1070/RB-1070 combo I also listened to.

Comment

• Claude D D
          • Jan 2003

They sound great with a Krell 400xi(2nd shelf from the bottom).We've got a pair in our store running on a Qinpu integrated amp at the moment.Sounds pretty good.
          Attached Files

Comment

• nyny
            • Jul 2004

the search continues...

Claude, thanks for the pix. I still did not get the chance to audition the 400xi with the 804s, however, I did hear the 804s with the Jeff Rowland Concerto Integrated. This combo sounded a lot better than the Rotel RB1080/B&W 804s combo (with RC1090)!! The bass is much more controlled (I find that with the RB1080/804s, bass sometimes can muddy the overall sound quality).

Needless to say, I added the Concerto to my list.....now I just need to make sure that it's that much better than the Krell 400xi before I make the purchase since Concerto costs more than twice as much as the Krell.

Any thoughts on how the Krell compares to the Jeff Rowland? I know this might be comparing apples to oranges (consider the price diff), but I would like to hear people's opinions on these integrated. Thanks!
            Last edited by nyny; 29 May 2005, 06:43 Sunday.
            Tony

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

I'll be getting a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated this Wednesday for my N804 two-channel setup. I never got a chance to try out the 400xi, although I came close a few times. I'll let you know how the A5 does with the N804s.

Comment

• nyny
                • Jul 2004

Hi guys,

I finally made up my mind and purchased the 804S and the JRDR Concerto Integrated Amp for my dedicated two channel setup.

Speakers: I had my eyes on the both the 803S and the 804S initially. After two 2-hour listening sessions at the dealer, I decided to go with the 804S. I found 803S to have better bass, but the 804S are no slouch either (both have tight bass that I am looking for). I found that 804S produuces deep enough bass that I can live with. The mids and highs are comparable between the two models (the classic B&W punchy mids and crystal clear highs that I enjoy). The final straw is how nice the 804S looks....the 803S just look a bit too big to me, especially considering that I live in a small NYC apartment and I have to worry about the WAF factor.

Amplification: Initially, I had my mind set on the Krell 400xi (200 watts of Krell power in an attractive package). But after a series of auditioning, I decided not to get the Krell. Please note that I never did get the chance to listen to the Krell with the B&Ws (diff dealers). However, I did listen to the Krell with the Galo Ref 3...not too impressed. In addition, I read in Stereophile that the Krell might have heat issue.

Then, I tried the Rotel-1080 (RC1090 pre) and 804S combo, but was not satisfied with the bass (bass does not sound very tight with this combo and sometimes bass muddied the overall sound).

After that, I tried the Bryston 4B-SST (RB26 pre) and 804S. I was blown away by the sound, extremely powerful and dynamic; with very tight bass. I would have purchased this combo have I not listen to the Rowland. The dealer had the Rowland and Bryston setups side by side. Once we switched over to the Rowland, I immediately noticed a fuller and more musical sound. Compared to the Rowland, the Bryston sounded a bit more "mechanical". The Rowland really made the 803S and 804S sing!!! Even at extreme volume, the Rowland shown no strain (I guess the 250 watts is plenty enough). On top of everything, the Rowland just looks so dang good! The low profile and silver face plate look very elegant.

I will receive them in couple of weeks, can't wait!!! I will post some pix once I have them set up. :T
                Tony

Comment

• Pieter
                  • Jan 2005

Tony: However, I did listen to the Krell with the Galo Ref 3...not too impressed.

Was it the Krell, Galo Reference 3s or the combination you disliked?

I’m in the market for a set of speakers and would appreciate your take on the Galo Reference 3s.

Much obliged
                  Pieter

Comment

• nyny
                    • Jul 2004

Pieter,

I think it has to do with a bit of both. After reading several rave reviews of Gallo Ref3, I became extremely interested in them. Luckily, I have a few dealers around my area that carry them. I was not too impressed with Gallo's bass reproduction...it's not as tight as I would have liked...maybe the bass of Ref 3 would sound better with Gallo's dedicated bass amp. I tried the Gallo with other amps as well (Bryston and Rotel), still didn't find them as impressive as the rave reviews made them out to be. My dealer indicated that most people who demo the Ref 3 didn't find them to be as good as noted in the reviews. I would encourage you to find a dealer and listen for yourself...maybe they might fit your needs.

Hope this helps,
                    Tony
                    Last edited by nyny; 06 June 2005, 06:11 Monday.
                    Tony

Comment

• Pieter
                      • Jan 2005

Tony, I have managed to listen to them, the only pair in the country, but was hoping to use you as sounding board.

I was very impressed by what they did to everything from the waist up. To talk of their imaging capabilities is to do them a disservice; their portrayal of a soundscape is phenomenal. The widening of the sweet spot resulting from that tweeter’s dispersion is a plus. But the wide dispersion can be a curse if your room’s boundaries are too reflective and the geometry to cubicle. That tweeter was spraying so much energy into my room that the first track on The Afro Celt Sound System’s Volume 1 CD was not listenable. This is not necessarily the speaker’s fault, but is something one should keep in mind.

I couldn’t fault their presentation of timbre in the mid to highs, very pleasant and easy on the ear.

Your finding the bass lacking is in step with what I heard. It just peters off and what’s there is not agile, pacy or dynamic. There’s no foot tapping involvement in this area. Very disappointing.

As to the benefit of activating that second voice coil on the woofer? I can only speculate. It’ll go lower, but will it add life?

Thanks for sharing your view. Always good to hear the sober counteract the hype doled out by the media.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"