X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

Gallo Reference 3 or B&W804S/803S??

Hi guys, I am planning to setup a dedicated two-channel system and I am considering the following speakers:

* Anthony Gallo Ref 3
    * B&W 804S
    * B&W 803S

Does anyone have a chance to listen to these speakers? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Tony
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Hey nyny, are you upgrading your 705s? Any chance that you won't need that Velodyne of yours?

Comment

• nyny
      • Jul 2004

Hi BlazeMaster, I am trying to put together a stereo system in addition to my HT system. With that said, I will be keeping the Velodyne. Sorry~
      Tony

Comment

• Jesse111
        • Jul 2005

Sorry no personal experience with the Gallo's but I've heard lots of folks talk about very long breakin periods which to me is just another way of saying they don't sound very good until you convince yourself you're getting used to there inferior sound. I very much like B&W's position on breakin, they simply state it's a matter of temperature aclimation and the rest is in your head. Makes perfect sense. Having said that, I have 803s' and they are stunning right out of the box. Just don't drive them hard for a day so they can aclimate from the shipping temperatures. Definately the 803's over the 804's. The 804's just do not have the dynamics of the 803's. Big difference in my opinion. I use 804's for surrounds but would not go below 803 for mains if I didn't have to. If all you can afford is 804's then you would still be getting a very musical and good quality speaker. They would do nicely in a small to medium small room.

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

Hi Jesse11, thanks for the reply. I performed extensive testing between the Gallo, 803S and 804S; ended up with the 804S. I find Gallo Ref 3 is not my cup of tea (I guess the Ref 3s that I listened to were not "broken in" yet :B ).

Between the 803S and the 804S, I do find the 803S to have tighter and lower bass, but other than that, I find them to be similar in sound. I would have gotten the 803S if they are a bit smaller (803S would look out of place in my small NYC apartment).

My 804S are currently being drive by JRDG's Concerto Integrated. Even at 1 week old, I am already loving the sound coming out of them.
          Tony

Comment

• Jesse111
            • Jul 2005

If you taste tested both 803 and 804 and found the 804 to your liking then you definately got a win win situation. Great sound and saved a few bucks. Definately a great speaker. Happy listening. :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"