X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

240 wpc too much for 703's?

Hey Gang-
    I plan on upgrading to N803 in the next few months. I currently have a pair of 703's. The 703's can handle 200wpc. I have my eye on an amp that is rated at 240wpc (conrad-johson mf2500). Would it damage the 703's if I use it with them? I know its better to over-power than under-power, but I dont want to risk any damage since I will be selling the 703's soon. I think as long as I dont crank it I should be in good shape. I think the CJ would be a nice match with my Rogue 66 and N803 down the road

Carter
  • JCL
    • Apr 2005

If you dn't push till the limit I think you ok but I'm NOT sure of that... Others may think diferent of this.

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

You run a far greater risk of damage to your speakers if you under power them. With the CJ, I don't believe that you can damage the 703's. You would rather make them perform better. What are you currently driving them with?

Comment

• jclyle
        • Feb 2005

Thanks for the input, right now I have an Acurus A200 - 200wpc. Its a decent amp, but also very bright. I love my 703's but need more bass!! Hopefully the CJ will help in that area. I know the tweeters are very sensitive and dont want to over power them and blow them out.

Comment

• js24
          • Feb 2005

Hi jclyle
          I use MF A5 Integ. -250W to power my 703s

in short, You will be fine with that CJ amp. the 703s will only sound better
          (The 703 is arguably the brightest of all B&Ws, I too like mine now but they won't stay pass this year- I'm going for one of the Ds )
          Good luck,
          Jay

Comment

• Fife
            • Apr 2004

You will only damage your speakers if they are underpowered.

You will not likely damage your speakers if your amp is overpowered b/c by the time you crank up the volume to insane levels, your ears would probably bleed. That is of course listening in a living room environment unless you have a room the size of a concert hall.

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

I have a Rotel RB-1090 (380 X 2) on my 703s --- no issues. And I have played them very loud.

Originally posted by jclyle
              Hey Gang-
              I plan on upgrading to N803 in the next few months. I currently have a pair of 703's. The 703's can handle 200wpc. I have my eye on an amp that is rated at 240wpc (conrad-johson mf2500). Would it damage the 703's if I use it with them? I know its better to over-power than under-power, but I dont want to risk any damage since I will be selling the 703's soon. I think as long as I dont crank it I should be in good shape. I think the CJ would be a nice match with my Rogue 66 and N803 down the road

Carter

Comment

• Fife
                • Apr 2004

I had a Bryston 6B SST (300+W @ 8ohm) powering Matrix 805/HTM's. :B

Comment

• jclyle
                  • Feb 2005

Now for those of you who have amps over the reccomended 200w, do you play movies loud, or music? There is a big difference between the two when it comes to how much "work" the speaker actually does.

Comment

• Fife
                    • Apr 2004

The more power you have, the more dynamic headroom you have especially when playing movies which have the occasional spikes/peaks. Obviously, you can play much louder and you dont have to worry about clipping and distortion. However, when playing at low volumes I can still hear a difference when using the same brand 125watt and 250 watter.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"