• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron Salvo
    • Feb 2005

B&W dm604 s3 or Monitor audio s6

Hellow guys,

I'm sorry if this is not all about B&W.

This is my first post, but I've been here for a long time enjoying and watching everybody's idea. If someone may notice that I 'm one of having the highest time ever online. So, I'm not really new here and neither to home theater stuffs.

My question is, which is better of the two speakers for music? I' was planning to upgrade my dm602 s3 to 604 s3 but was changed after having an audition from the store. Listening and switching from Monitor audio S6 to dm602 s3, I'm convinced that monitor audio s6 has a superior quality over that of the 602, in all respects. It's bad that the store does not carry the 604, but I've read so much reviews here that there is little difference between the 2's except for the low end of the 604.

I would appreciate to hear from anybody's experience.
    Thanks.

Ron Salvo
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

OMG Ron, I just realized I'm the first in that list!!! LOL..I really need a life, don't I? I can't comment on any of the Monitor Audio stuff, but I know they're quite well regarded in the audio industry. I do own the 600s myself and can pretty much answer your questions regarding the 600s. Good luck.

Comment

• KenK
      • Mar 2005

If monitor audio sounds good to you, then go for it. audio is like food, everyone has diff taste. It is hard to believe that 602 & 604 sound the same as one is two way and the other is three way. there has to be diff in the mid range.

Comment

• JCL
        • Apr 2005

Do you have a sub? If you do, a 705 would be an option. Is cost about the same (well in Holland they do) and why have a floorstander is you have a good sub to support the bass. You do not have floorstanders at the moment so I would know Only thing is how to amp them. My experiance with B&W is that they really life when there hooked up to a really powerfull amp. Have heard the DM602-S1 a lot on a Sony ES system about $2500 (amp and decoder only) and it is a real joy to listen to!

What kind of amp are you using for your 602's? (just asking because I want to gt 603 sow...)

Good luck with your buy

Comment

• Ron Salvo
          • Feb 2005

I had heard of the 705 and for me they are very nice sound speakers. The reason why I prefer the 604 over the 705 with a sub is that, as I spent so much time listening to my music in my ht setup, I began to realize that it is better not to have a sub. So I decided to separate my music room. I thought the 604 will compensate the low frequency that my 602’s can’t handle (602s can only handle up to 49hz).

My 602 is being fed with my marantz sr4300 but will be upgraded very soon to higher wattage, but definitely still marantz. I’ve been enjoying dvd audio and sacd in stereo and excited to hear them in multichannel setup without a sub.

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

• JCL
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ron Salvo
            I had heard of the 705 and for me they are very nice sound speakers. The reason why I prefer the 604 over the 705 with a sub is that, as I spent so much time listening to my music in my ht setup, I began to realize that it is better not to have a sub. So I decided to separate my music room. I thought the 604 will compensate the low frequency that my 602’s can’t handle (602s can only handle up to 49hz).

My 602 is being fed with my marantz sr4300 but will be upgraded very soon to higher wattage, but definitely still marantz. I’ve been enjoying dvd audio and sacd in stereo and excited to hear them in multichannel setup without a sub.

Thanks for all your replies.
            Hmmm Think you are right. That is way I prefer 603 my selfe. But if you do have a good sub I would still try it at least. Ik might sound less than floorstanders, but the mid and highs of a 705 are so mutch better, you might want to set the low a side. Like I said, always try, why not? Listening is always nice and if it does confince you, your better of in the end...

Comment

• Ron Salvo
              • Feb 2005

Well, it depends in which directions you want to go. Some prefer to listen to CDs than the new dvda and sacd format. But if you prefer the latter, then, think of the 603, (46 Hz) and the bass might not enough since the lowest string of the bass guitar can go as low as 40hz.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

You just need to break down and buy 802Ds. :P

ha ha.

That's a really tough call as to which you like. The Monitor Audio is going to cost you about 300 less than the DM604 S3s... and honestly, the 604s sound identical to the 602s, but with added bass (lots of it compared to the 602s). I don't know if that is a factor or not, but something to think about.

I love my 604s, but I know that my heart truly lies in the 800 series (802s someday I think). So I know I won't be upgrading until I can really get what I want. So if you are happy with your 602s, maybe you should look outside your price range and plan for the future of getting what you really would want... ??
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Zoran
                  • Apr 2005

Ron

Try avoid DM604S3. I owned both DM604 and DM604S3. Initial idea has been to gain more bass than DM602 I've owned at a time. Did I? Yes - 604s have much more bass response, but... Their bass seems to be well extended, but extremely boomy, lacking definition and low-end details. Sometimes like unarticulated, unfocused low frequency noice. Like old caffe-bar JBLs.Mids/higs have the same nature like 602, due to the same drivers, but seem to be slightly darker with 604s. Very dissapointing for me. Both 604s were my worst investment in HI FI.

Now I play Nautilus 805. New world. Would upgrade to new 805S, or to 803S if money enough. 41 kilograms heaven, even without D tweeter.

Cheers

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Well that's a huge difference though in price and performance.

I've not had a single problem with my B&W 604 S3s. But that's probably because I know they won't and don't expect them to perform like 805s, 803s, or 802s...

If you really want that quality in a speaker you're going to put out the money for it. But for the price the B&W 604s do an amazing job for their class of speaker...

Hopefully one day I'll have some N802Ds sitting in my Home Theater room!! :T
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"