X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

Modula MTM's to look like Monitor Audio's

My buddy David at work was considering buying some Monitor Audio floor standers and later building the rest of the 5.1 setup. I said he should maybe forgo the Audio Monitors and build the Mudula MTM's in a tower format as his room is rather small. I offered to build his cabs as his was stuck in the middle of house renos and the look he was after has a large single veneer rap which could prove difficult for a first time build.

Image not available

I've never done a side front side rap on a tower and this would give me a chance to try out hardboard over mdf to get a flat clean look.

Image not available

We choose to keep the same tuning and seal off the bottom and port out the back as the Jon's MTM monitor.

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

I really like rapping the MDF with hard board as it provides very small joints so the veneer doesn't telegraph and the corners are less susceptible to dings during and after the build. The hard board after sanding is very nice for applying the veneer with the iron on method.

Image not available

David is an electrical tech guy so he took care of the xovers.

Image not available

Top section with foam.

Image not available

It started getting cold up here, although probably the warmest Dec, Jan I ever remember so I decided to try out a water based sanding sealer and the new varethane Nano with aluminum oxide.

Image not available

With the sanding sealer and 5 coats of the Nano with wet and dry sands between and a final rubbing compound I think they turn out nice.

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

I'm going to have to talk to David cause these are his shots and this last one looks like he scratch my nice cabs. :rofl:

Image not available

My son has a prototyping business but he is a little busy finishing up his Engineering degree so when he gets some time I get him to laser cut some steel to finish up some out riggers for the speaks. I'll wait for spring to make him some grills to match those Monitor Audios.

My second build of Jon's wonderful designs and these are so nice too. They are clean and I suspect a little nicer then the Audio's. David who is a country music kind of guy loves them. For me My MTXE's are still a notch up especially in the mids in my room, but I tend to like MT's over MTM's. Again thanks Jon. ;x(
    Last edited by theSven; 19 June 2023, 08:39 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

Oh Gees, I was thinking David scratched the side of the cab in the close up front shot. That's a door behind the speaker. ops:

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Looks pretty nice- great workmanship!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Those look great. You should be proud. :thumb:

And, not surprising that you prefer the ModulaXE. Better parts, but less output potential. Tradeoffs.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

We have another co-worker who builds speakers?

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bent
            We have another co-worker who builds speakers?
            Ya Ben, Actually I got 2 guys started at 820 Taylar.

My other buddy Jonathan couldn't wait for Jon's Illuminator version of the Ardents so he got Rick Craig to design a simpler faceted tower with the same woofs, mid and a 6620 Scan tweet. he is also doing a matching centre. I think with the number of hydro guys and other Winnipeg DIYers we should do a get together. I think we would have a lot of verity.

You were thinking of doing one of CJD's designs, did you ever get started?

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

I was seriously thinking about the Garnacha when he presented the original concept drawings - but once he defined the crossover components it turned out more spendy than I was willing to deal with.

in reality, I shoulda known that a crossover for a three-way would have been costly.

I'd love to attend a get-together, but I have nothing to bring to the table - other than my 300 pound subwoofer. (not that much of a technological or esoteric showpiece, but it is indeed impressive).

Comment

• dar47
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                Those look great. You should be proud. :thumb:

And, not surprising that you prefer the ModulaXE. Better parts, but less output potential. Tradeoffs.
                Thanks, K & Jon.

David is a younger guy and I'm sure he will play them louder more often then I would. The MTM's have a similar voicing and I have the same RS woofs and Seas tweet in my theater setup and like them. To me the XE's are more refined, they sound good with everything I throw at them.

Next up for me is to rebuild the storage room behind my theater setup to put an acoustically transparent screen in. I'll have rebuild my centre into a tower and maybe IB the sub. That will make room for a bypassed 2 channel setup with new really nice towers in front beside the screen. I was avoiding a projector as my son would game on it to much but my 700 series Samsung didn't last long it has 3 dead pixels on one side that go away after 20 mins when the panel warms up and the contacts touch. I've also had to replace 2 under rated caps so it doesn't take 2mins to fire up. No more money into panel technology they are all built like crap. All this just so I can have nice 2 channel in my treated room.

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

I was seriously thinking about the Garnacha when he presented the original concept drawings - but once he defined the crossover components it turned out more spendy than I was willing to deal with.

in reality, I shoulda known that a crossover for a three-way would have been costly.

I'd love to attend a get-together, but I have nothing to bring to the table - other than my 300 pound subwoofer. (not that much of a technological or esoteric showpiece, but it is indeed impressive).
                  Your still young, you work for mother hydro so time will get you there. I'll talk to the guys and maybe organize something for the spring time.

Comment

• Bent
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2003

yup, 22 years of employment coming up this summer.

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

These look really sharp.

Yeah, that happens. Especially if it's me. Save your pennies, you'll get there. I didn't think that one went particularly expensive - still less than the driver cost, no?
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

CJD, it's not the fact that it's too expensive... Quality components are the cost of doing business. Only the truly rich can afford to build speakers with poor componentry - but instead they take the easy way out and buy Bose Lifestyle and Bose Acoustiwave systems. I'm prolly still going to try building the Garnachas, but not likely till this coming Fall.

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

CJD, it's not the fact that it's too expensive... Quality components are the cost of doing business. Only the truly rich can afford to build speakers with poor componentry - but instead they take the easy way out and buy Bose Lifestyle and Bose Acoustiwave systems. I'm prolly still going to try building the Garnachas, but not likely till this coming Fall.
                          Ben take a look at how nice Lcolbur1's curved cabs are.

My sons friend wants my RS theater system and I said I would redo the cabs curved for him if he pays for the material, this would make room for another system. The kid is a CA and has every penny spent in a spreadsheet for the next 10 years so I'm not sure when he will come across but I'm hearing this summer. Let me know cause I could get you started with the cabs it's the same process.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"