X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

603s3 with Mismatched Centers???

I finally got approval from significant other to get the 603s3.My problem will be that i wont be able to get the center right now(budget).I presently have def.tech. and have def.tech. c2 center right now.Have any of you mismatched your speakers for any amount of time.Would like to know what kind of experience i should expect good or bad since i wont have the matching center.thanks
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Rick,

Mismatching centres are part of many HT systems. It is important to get the speaker level right with the Processor / Reciever setup so that they are the same volume. Once's that's done what you will find is that voices etc that pan accross the speakers will change in tonal characteristics. Many people don't even notice and quite happily have separate brand or model range centres for ever!...

I'm sure you will enjoy your new set-up and (when budget allows, enjoy the CC600 speaker as a replacement (perhaps with some new 601 or 602 rear speakers!)

Upgrading in steps is fun!

Geoff

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Well looks like i will be getting the 603s3.Before i actually have them would like to see what is the preferred way for proper setup.My receiver is the rotel rsx1056 which you know allows for crossover settings.Should the 603s3 be set to small and set crossover to 80 or 60.Should they be set to large w/cross over 60 or 80.Also should the sub be set to 80 ,yes or no in any of these settings.In other words what should i do as far as settings are concerned for this setup.thanks

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

would appreciate a response since i'll get the spks in less than a week.thanks

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

you should experiment a little once you get them. I believe the 603s are capable as large during a stereo setting. For HT, it'll be more of your preference and how much bass you like. If you don't have a powerful enough sub for HT, I think you might enjoy 603s as large better.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

It's a complete preference thing...

I have the 604 S3s set to small, because I noticed much better sound this way. With them set to large I just found that everything sounded a little strained (like the receiver couldn't push them well enough). I didn't notice any difference until I was listening to a Dave Matthews CD the one time and just happened to switch them to small, and it made guitars, violins, drums, etc. sound more natural. I think it was a limitation of the receiver not being able to send enough power to them. IMO.

Ever since all my speakers have been set to small and let my sub handle all frequencies below 80hz (well the roll off from 80Hz down to about 30Hz). To me the sub and fronts blend seemlessly. Infact there was one disc I listened to where the bass only came out of the left speaker...the sub is on the right side when viewing...I would've swarn all the bass was coming from that left speaker. Was cool, because that's what I was looking for, not for the sub to stick out like a sore thumb.
            Last edited by PewterTA; 30 November 2004, 20:06 Tuesday.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I had my 604's matched with the matrix HTM center. I used it this way for about 5 years. Never knew about calibrating a system either. Sounded good, but not great.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

so if you guys set the floorstanders to "small" then what's the point of having floorstanders? The reason I'm asking this, is that I'm thinking about exchanging my 602s for 603s so I can have the 6.5 inches drivers all around. I have a LCR600 for center and DM601s for surrounds and a SVS PB12plus/2 for sub.

Comment

• weijst
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                  so if you guys set the floorstanders to "small" then what's the point of having floorstanders?
                  For (pure) stereo application :T

Do not be misguided by the actual cabinetsize of the speaker when adjusting the small/large setting. I remember it has to do with the minimal frequency capability at reference axis with (+-0dB). (Look for the thread on this forum that covers this subject using the website's search engine). Theoretically only a few speakers on this world can be set to 'large' in HT applications.

A lot of (most?) people out there have set their 603 and/or 604 to 'small' in HT applications, while they use 'large' in stereo. I'm assuming they do this because (most) subs aren't allways able to keep up with 'music bass' and tend to sound somewhat boomy (which is not a common problem in HT). Furtermore, you won't really be needing the below 60 Hz capability of a sub with music anaway, so - assuming you have a capable speaker - the bass performance of the speaker will usually be sufficient.

IMO, in HT, the 603 should be set to small, alowing all the bass to be sent to the sub (cut set at 60 - 80Hz). This way you will unstress your speakers for mid and high reproduction and all the bass will be reproduced by the sub (=> uniform bass). Since I believe the only advantage of the 603 over the 602 is bass reproduction (allthough this too has been argued...), for HT I see no reason for moving to 603s. As for stereo, I'd make a bigger jump...
                  Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"