X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

what is the most B&W musical speaker?

Hi,
    I'm looking at a pair of B$W floor standing and I'm seeking your opinion on speakers. My budget is from 1,500 - 2,000.
    thanks.
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

With B&W, and most speakers in general, the more you spend the better the sound.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would recommend a used pair of 804s or you can buy a new pair of 704s. Depending on your equipment (804s need some good quality equipment) and taste in music.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Agree with Audioqueso, if you want reallly great floorstanders, then 804's are your best choice IF you have the proper amplification and source.
        They are capable of much more than the 704 but only if the rest of your system is up to it.
        If you can settle for bookshelfs, 805's might be good too, very musical speaker.
        Otherwise try out the 704, imo that's the least harsh sounding of the 700 series.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

I just bought a pair of 804s new for $1400 each. Used can be had for $2000 to $2400. I am usinga Rotel RC-1070 & RB-1070 as my drive units & a Denon DCM-370 as my source (the weakest link). Many people cautioned me on my choice of amp/pre and source but to be honest with you I think it all sounds terrific. I am considering replacing my Denon with a Rotel RCC-1055. Looking for the right deal though.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I would not recommend rotel. I had a Rotel RSX-1055 and recently sold it. Was not happy with their product. Sorry to steal the thread.

My recommendation would be to get into nautilus speakers in any form. I had 604's, and while they had a fuller sound, when I originally upgraded, it was to 805's and there was a dramatic improvement in clarity and quality of sound.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• audiofan
              • May 2004

Thanks all.

I have Rotel RC-1070, RB-1080, and RCD-1072. Since most people in Rotel forum use Rotel gears with B&W speaker. But I would not limit myself to other options. I look at B&W website and i see CM6. Is this good? I like Jazz, pop, classical.

Comment

• sugarmedia
                • Feb 2005

Audio fan,

The CM6 is going to sound nice, but with the budget you have I would think seriously about finding a pair of demo speakers and get into a higher catergory such as the 804d.

Have you checked Audiogon, etc?

-SM

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

sugarmedia, i did check the audiogon and the item is expired. But i'll keep checking.

thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"