X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfarha
    • Mar 2005

N804 Power Requirements & Recommendations

Newbie here needing a little advise.

I'm about to purchase a pair of 1 year old B&W N804's. Other speakers in my HT set up are/will be B&W HTM2 Center (planned), Martin Logan Depth Sub, new surrounds TBD.

Currently I have been using an NAD T762 receiver rated at 100WX5. I am skeptical that my NAD will have enough power for the 804's. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on running 804's with a HT receiver such as the NAD T762?

If the NAD does not have the power needed for this set up, I'd like some advise on adding a power amp to this set up and use the NAD as a processor only. Advise on whether or not adding a power amp to the NAD receiver is a good idea or not? What risks/disadvantages are there by going this route?

Also, what 5 channel amps would you recommend? I've been thinking about the Rotel 1095, but am flexible. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but want something to grow into by adding a new matching processor later.

Your advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long post and many questions.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Rotel 1095

cfarha,

I have 804's, HTM1, ML Depth and B&W dipole surreounds. I am powering the 5 channels with a Rotel 1095. I would recommend an amp of this size and capability. If budget is an issue, you might start with a Rotel 1075 for now, them add a second amp (like a 1070 or 1080 :T ) and bi-amp the 804's later. Going with an outboard amp and using your receiver as a processor is a natural next step for what you are doing. I see little risk in doing it this way. Buy a good quality amp (and interconnects) with enough power and you should be quite happy.

On a separate note, you'll like the way the Depth blends with the B&W's.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

I powered N804's with an RMB-1075 a while back, no problems whatsoever! IMHO statements on this forum telling you the 1075 is not 'up to the job' are a little exaggerated...
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

I can agree with Weijst up to a certain level.
        The 1075 has no problems driving the 804, it can make it play plenty loud and all but to me there was very little detail compaired to what these speakers are capable of.
        My main complaints about this combination was a complete lack of bass control, no punch at all, very little top-octave air, and an overall flat and dull sound.
        OK for movies, not so good for stereo listening if you're a critical listener.

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

I agree with DrBoom...if I could sum it up into one word, it is "thin" sounding?
          "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• KEF
            • Aug 2004

I currently have the N804s - I have had them since last July or so when I purchased them new. At the time I was moving into a new house so I didn't have a surplus cash -

My processor is a Yamaha RX-V 1400 rated at 100 per channel. When I bought the speakers I brought the Yamaha into the B&W store to see (hear) what the difference would be between driving the 804s off the Yamaha directly or doing so with a RB-1080

The Yamaha worked, but as others have pointed out, sounded thin - especially in the bass area where the 804 do not excel anyway.

The 1080 made a considerable difference, so for 15% off MSRP I bought it. I do plan to upgrade the 1080 ultimately, but for less than 1K it is a very good low-cost amp.

Cheers,
            Keith

Comment

• cfarha
              • Mar 2005

All,

Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. I plan to try the 804's with the NAD receiver first. Heck who am I kidding - I'm already trying to locate a "like new" 1095. The joys of upgrading - somehow I'll be able to justify a new house over this.

Chris

Comment

• johan
                • Dec 2004

cfarha, have you considered a Nad amp? Like 218? Or that big 7-channel amp? I'm sure thats more value for money than Rotel. But the best thing would be to save your money and save some more money and buy a real amp!

Comment

• KenK
                  • Mar 2005

Hi Kef,

Your Yamaha RX-V 1400 will not power your N804 properly if you do listen them for music. I have the same receiver so I know. I did not know how bad the yamaha sounded until I got the Krell 400xi integrated amp. Even using the yamaha as the processor, the sound was not very good (lost of detail and air). For now, I am using the yamaha for movie and krell for music and i am very happy now.

Comment

• dortiz
                    • Mar 2005

I had the 804s for about 2 years. Started them off on a Marantz SR-14. Thats was about 130 watts per channel. Receivers are not very true however in the stated power. When Mcintosh labs came through one receiver rated at 100 came in at 17 (the Mac amps were on the money though). hee hee. I still loved the 804s off that Marantz though. I later bought a Proceed 250X2 and WOW. It was like the concert on TV that sounded good just moved in to your home. Give them power, you will be amazed.

Kenk. 400cx...that rocks!!!! :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

I originally was using a Rotel 1055 to power my 804's. 75W of rotel was not enough to power these. they sounded strained and sluggish.

I upgraded to a Cinnenova Grande 5 amp shortly after that and have been VERY happy. This amp is 300x5 and doubles that at 4ohms. I bought this amp new for one or two hundred dollars more than a new 1095 costs.

I have heard both amps and the 1095 does not hold a candle to it. My speakers are very detailed, and VERY clean sounding. I would recommend this to anyone.

I know a lot of people in this board are Rotel lovers, but I will never recommend their products again. My reasons:

1. Marketed as "Upgradeable" and "Future Proof"; however, the product is no longer upgraded.
                      2. The annoying pause when switching between codecs (DTS, DD, etc.)
                      3. My dealer no longer carries Rotel either because of the problems they (the dealer) had with several receivers and amps. Rotel denied an issue existed.

Granted, it was a step up from the yamaha I had, for the money, I would definately recommend the cinnenova grande 5. I have recently sold my Rotel and replaced it with a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 and am very pleased.

If you are interested, Jim from Nextlevel audio (the banner at the top) was the one who recommended the cinnenova before he was a dealer. He can help get you a great price and offers great service!
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• cfarha
                        • Mar 2005

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I have found a pair of N803's instead of 804's. So I definitly will have to find something to power these.

What are your thoughts on other 5 channel power amplifiers? I was looking at Aragon, Anthem as well as Rotel. I'm more interested in hearing about other brands besides Rotel, seems this board has a huge Rotel fan base.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"