X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawkson
    • Apr 2011

Best Speaker Design for Home Theater@2000$

Hi,
    I've been doing my research and need more direction.
    I have $2000USD for 5.2 setup, my room is 15x17 and I will sit 14 feet away, speaker 12 feet wide. Subs can be large, could go with 4 subs as well if money allows.

I would like members advice on speaker design and driver recommendations.

Looking for loud, clear, kick ass sound that doesn't hurt. This won't play music. I've been looking into Pro Drivers, full range, waveguide, but I'm still lost and learning.

As a kicker, I am in China, which is why I want to DIY. I don't trust local speaker companies, and imported is cost prohibitive. I will hopefuly find HK/China drivers, get a design, and have the cabinets made locally. I am even considering getting the drivers and components, and I have a local speaker company, and I'll have them do it. Anyways...

I appreciate thoughts you have on recommended drivers and design for thumping home theater.

Edit-For reference, I had axioms+HSU sub 5 years ago. They sounded great, but I couldn't get them loud enough without hurting my ears. HSU wasn't loud enough either...
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Asking the same question in different threads won't change the answer....
    Hi, I will be sourcing all of my parts from China. I am currently living in Shanghai and couldn't bring my commercial Axiom M60's + HSU sub to Shanghai without extremely high 20% import tax(600$ just to import my own equipment, talk about unfair trade) and 400$ shipping. My focus is 100% HT, my room is 15 x 17. I think I

It's highly unlikely we will know much if anything about the components you have access to locally.

Since you have a local speaker company, it's best to trust them and work directly with them, utilizing the products they have available.

They sounded great, but I couldn't get them loud enough without hurting my ears.
    This is surprising?

Doesn't matter what speaker is being used. If you must have it LOUD, endure the pain and subsequent hearing damage.......

Your choice..
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 19:56 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

'Loud' is a relative term. I mean, I play my music and HT at what can be considered loud but it doesn't hurt. Bar bands typically hurt my ears but that's a whole different kinda' loud in my opinion. As well...DJ's typically play their music way too loud for my tastes!
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• hawkson
        • Apr 2011

I've been learning and I have somewhat of a direction

10-12" + comp drivers with horn OR 12" coax with simple xo.

The goal is to make a DIY pro speaker with pro drivers. Any thoughts or designs out there?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"