any ideas on hanging an htm2 from the ceiling?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

any ideas on hanging an htm2 from the ceiling?

My dealer is offering me a good price on an htm2, which ironically is the same one I ordered before I changed my mind and went w/ the htm1. I am seriously considering it for my room to create a 6.1 setup. The problem is finding a place to mount it. My options are as follows:

1. Find some way to hang it upside down from the ceiling and angle it towards the listening position. I don't remember who makes the SCM1 brackets, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they had a mount for the htm2 that would be a good option for this? Would the ceiling be able to hold the 20+ lbs of the speaker?

2. making some sort of shelf on the rear of my kitchen cabinets to hold the speaker.

I am favoring option 1 as I am not sure how sturdy the cabinets would be if I drilled holes in them and bolted some makeshift shelf to it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might acheive this?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

hehe I was also thinking about going 6.1 with my ex Nautilus HTM2, but figure you need a lot of space behind you to do it (a 7.1 config with dipoles is much easier to set up as they can be mounted quite high above one's seating position and still be effective?)

I had enquired about my HTM2 and was going to get B&W UK to sell me the full-size long legs for my exsiting centre HTM stand (they can do it for about £150 apparently to make it the same height as the 805 HTM stands?) but then I went and sold all my stuff to get onto the property ladder..eeeshk!
    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

immediately behind my couch (prime listening) is 8 foot to the back of the cabinets. (there is a dinning room in that space) and I thought it might be a good time to pick up a nautilus speaker cheap to make this happen.. my dealer is going to let me borrow the speaker this weekend to try and figure something out.

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

hmmm will be interesting to know how you get on with that. Would imagine your wife might object to a speaker hanging above your dining table though hehe.

Personally I think it is a nice idea...it was ticking over in my mind how I was going to make this work(!), but 6.1 is not really practical in terms of space - one needs a dedicated cinema room for a "perfect" HT IMO, although I like my kit in my living space as quality kit is a show-piece!?

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

What speakers do you have as rear L/R btw? 805's / SCMs?

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Toshiba 46H84
            Sherwood/Newcastle P-965
            Cinenova Grande 5
            Panasonic RP62
            Center: B&W NHTM1 / Sub: B&W ASW 850
            Front: B&W N804 / Rear: B&W SCM1

Comment

• jahlion
              • Feb 2005

check this out:

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

thats how i want to do it. any ideas?

Comment

• Fife
                  • Apr 2004

The picture that jahlion has provided is what Lucas does at one of his studios.
                  You can see that there are 4 HTMs at the rear/side for circle surround and 3 N802 up front.

What you dont see is that there are actually another 3 HTMs above the N802's!

Comment

• ti33er
                    • Apr 2004

...that is awesome - I'm sure you could get a generic projector mount that you could adjust to fit the HTM! Before you get gung-ho you would need to see where the trusses are in your ceiling, or that baby might land up being served for dinner one evening slap-bang in the middle of your dining room table?

Something like this perhaps, with adjustable mountings? http://www.vogels.com/en/evolution/frameset.asp?pg=13

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"