X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepEndX
    • Feb 2005

Change 801 N tweeter to 801 D tweeter

I have a pair of 801N. I know someone who is willing to change my B&W 801N tweeter to the diamond technology tweeter (801D). Should I do it or just keep my 801N intact?
  • Cowanrg
    • Feb 2004

who is willing to do it? its not interchangeable. the taper tube is different, the time alignment is different, the crossover is different, etc etc etc...

dont do it. and whoever thinks they can do it has NO idea what they are doing.

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

Cowanrg is right, just leave it.

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

You need to have the new crossover in addition to the tweeter to realise the upgrade. I would leave it alone.
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• johan
          • Dec 2004

DeepEndX, can you tell us something about your N801. I was thinking about how they differ from N802 and N800, if you have compared. I have N802 myself, but I have never even seen N801. I have always wondered how they sound, especially in the bass, also how much louder do they play than N802, and N800 if at all. Wich amp do you have? There is so little talk about N801 and N800 in this forum, everybodys dream-speaker seem to be N802 for some reason. Also it would be nice if you had some pics of your setup in the pics-thread.

Comment

• jazznsoccer
            • Apr 2004

I'd concur - don't try that as the diamond tweeter is aligned differently, the crossovers are completely different and tuned, etc. The diamond series is a significant change, not just a different component.

Comment

• DeepEndX
              • Feb 2005

my system

Thanks for all the comments.

Currently I have 7.1 system; pair of Rotel RB1090 bridged for the 801N and a Rotel RC 1070 Stereo Amp(even though I would really like the Classe CA 401 and Mark Levinson 432, which sound significantly better than the Rotel but prices are 4x more.) I use Denon 3805 as home theater. The single amp for the 801s is just not enough. These speakers suck up power and I could actually hear the difference between two amps bridged vs. one amp pushing the speakers. I have compared the 801s and 802s and there were slight differences between the speakers. The 801s definitely had a lot more punch in the bass than the 802 which made the music a big difference while I was testing it out. My whole living room comes alive, music ranging from Korsakov, Andrea Bocilli to Usher. The 801s also need ample of room to utilize it's monstrous power compare to the 802s. These are very loud speakers and it seems like the higher the volume the better they sound so bridge-biamp the 801's are a must. I tried without it at the dealership and the quality of the sound wasn't that great such as clarity, layering, and the bass was a little plush.

I also recently upgraded my center speaker to HTM1 and kept my surround speakers 602 s3 and ASW 650 (I felt the differences between my current sub and the higher end sub was slight that an ASW 650 is sufficent for home entertainment purposes.)
              Last edited by DeepEndX; 26 February 2005, 04:51 Saturday. Reason: addition

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"