X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

L C R all equal: best setup?

Is the ideal setup 3 equal speakers for left + center + right?

I have moved to SACD, for a minimal investment (just a DVD-2200) the soundstage is enveloping, the dynamic range is awesome, and the accuracy of instruments is increased. I get so much more enjoyment from listening to SACD than CD (classical, jazz, african, even pop music when the surround mix is well done).

However, IMO, the response of any dedicated center channel is never going to be as good as the "matching" left or right speaker, there's not as much cabinet volume, and often fewer or different drivers. (I have 704s and HTM-7)

Has anyone tried to make the center channel sound equal, but finally just replaced it with the same speaker as the left and right? Are the center channels really "tuned" best for voice (which is fine for pop or some blues, but not great when listening to a violin + orchestra concerto)?

I know there are advantages of centers (can be set lower or under or above the TV while sacrificing sound quality, are magnetically shielded), but I currently have it next to the TV (the TV is so big, there was no other choice for sound quality, and at least now it is at the same height as the L R). I would envisage another 704 (or 703?) as the center.

As for the surrounds, in my limited experience, there just isn't enough quality music coming from there to justify the same concern as for the center. I guess it's a matter of budget, but I am thinking of putting 705s at the back later, or moving the 704s to the back in favor of 703s, but then I would need to budget for 3x 703s!

Advice appreciated, thanks
    Christophe
    Last edited by csuzor; 22 February 2005, 11:56 Tuesday. Reason: corrections
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

No, actually the best is all channels with the same speaker... L/C/R/RR/RL/BR/BL for a full 7.1 that is.

If you are going to get serious into multi-channel music, you should have all your speakers the same.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Someone please confirm, but is the center channel used for multi-channel SACD? I definately agree, its best to have the same speaker and similar electronics for the 'BEST' SACD/DVD-A.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I believe it depends on how the Disc was mixed... I believe it can be used, but none of my SACDs use the center (I don't think).
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Right, it 'CAN' be used...but I don't think your missing much without having it. I would concentrate on the rears for ambience (timbre matchint) and instruments as well.

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

All of my SACDs use the centre channel (many genres, all recent recordings, some recorded directly to DSD and not PCM). Used primarily for the vocals or the soloist. IMO, the most important channel in my SACDs.
            Christophe

Comment

• JürgenW
              • Jul 2004

I agree with having the same speaker all around for music reproduction. But for the center you could try to do it without one and to work with a phantom center, where the center information is coming from the L and R speakers (like stereo).

Jürgen

Comment

• js24
                • Feb 2005

How about investing more on the two channel with the same money spent on multiple speakers? (convert back?)
                I'm still not convinced of the advantage of the multichannel music listening (IMHO)..
                A good two channel system can do everything that the multi does.
                For instance, even with my moderate setup in an ordinary living room, Dianna Krall easily takes the center stage and I can pin point all other instruments around her..
                and with better systems and room treatments, I've heard vast 3D soundstages..

of course, HT is a different story
                just my 2 cents :wink:

Comment

• csuzor
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks for the feedback.

I've tried disconnecting the center channel, but when the music is mixed for 5 channels, the center channel is only marginally reproduced from the left and right, and the sound is "hollow".

I see from the replies there is no consensus on the merits of multi-channel, maybe this series of articles from one of the creators of SACD can help convince others to look more closely.

Why should HT be different to music? Having a voice played through a single speaker, instead of phantom imaging through stereo channels, will always sound more natural. The same is true for a violin, or any small audio source (not true for a grand piano, of course). The key is that the single speaker has to be as good as the stereo speakers, otherwise it is not a fair comparison.

And I feel that any recording cannot capture all the sound information on 1 channel, or 2 channels, or even 5 channels... there is simply more sound information to playback if there are 3 or more channels, compared to stereo. How much information can be packed into a standard CD signal? Why not have 5 of those signals instead of just 2? (without considering the benefits of DSD over PCM)

I guess what I am asking is, has anybody ditched their center speaker in favor of a 3rd identical front speaker? Or taken the right advice from the start, and bought 3 or 5 identical speakers (besides the 5.1 HT kits)?

Christophe

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"