X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jteoh1
    • Jan 2005

B&W N802S B-Stock Experience

Hi,

A local B&W authorized dealer is offering me a pair of B&W B-Stock Nautilus 802s for $6200. These are brand new unopened items sitting in a warehouse located in another state. They come with full 5-year mfr warranty. He was unable to find out exactly what the blemishes are but seemed to think they were wood grain cosmetic related. He didn't think that there are severe dings or scratches as B&W normally will not offer items in such sub standard. However, he can't guarantee that. The items have to be taken as they are and the dealer won't accept returns.

If they are offering the full 5-year warranty, I tend to think that the internal componentry is fine.

The price seems reasonable but am just not sure how acceptable those cosmetic blemishes are. Have you any experience with B&W B-Stock items?

Another dealer is offering a well care for 2.5 year old pair of 802 trade-in's for $6000. B&W warranty policy is not transferrable but this dealer is willing to offer 1.5 year warranty.

I have to decide which ones to purchase. I appreciate any feedback and/or experience you may share.

Thanks,
    John
  • Jofpkt
    • Feb 2005

You can do better than 6200 for B-stock. I just bought a pair from a dealer that were lightly used for 6 months from a dealer for 5500.

Comment

• amallol
      • Jun 2004

N802

I agree, you should be able do to better since the new models are coming in. I picked up a floor demo pair of 802's for $5400

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

1. I agree with previous 2 posters you can do better.
        2. However, if you cannot do better with this dealer, I would go for the 2.5 year old ones... since you can SEE what is wrong with them BEFORE buying. If there is nothing wrong with them, age is not a factor. It's not like the 802's "wear out" like a tire. Buying those B stock UNSEEN without possibility of return is a bit risky.

Comment

• sprakash
          • Jan 2005

I agree with the others on the price.
          I am considering between a brand-new boxed N802 pair for 5750 over a new 804S for 3800.
          Any hints - or is the 802 a no-brainer?
          Cheers,
          SP

Comment

• jteoh1
            • Jan 2005

Sales Tax On Used Equipment?

I agreed... It's risky to pay $6200 plus tax and be totally unsatisfied for a long time with the B-stock. I will buy the used ones which are in good shape instead.

The dealer is charging sales tax for the 2.5 year trade-in. Again, these used ones are not demo's. I thought the previous owner had already paid the sales tax, it just doesn't sound right the tax goes to IRS twice for the same item. Now, just curious, does your dealer charge tax for pre-owned equipment purchase? I wonder if there is an accountant type here who can advise if this is a legal practice in Illinois...

Thanks again everyone!

John

Comment

• jlee
              • Aug 2004

Charging sales tax is correct... even though it's used because it's being bought from a retail establishment. It's the same when buying a used car from a new car dealership. If I were you, I would try to find a pair on Audiogon used locally that you can check before buying. If not, then just suck it up and pay the tax on the good used set you can observe... unless you REALLY TRUST a potential seller on audiogon or ebay.

Sprakash - old 802 for $5750 is a no brainer over new 804S for $3800!

Comment

• DanR
                • Dec 2004

I purchased a b-stock ASW850 and couldn't find anything wrong with it! B-stock is only regarded as such due to cosmetic blemishes. The internals of the speaker are just as new and perfect as A-stock. I would take the 5 year warranty. You probably won't be able to find the blemish unless it is pointed out to you. It does seem however that you can do better than $6200, although that is 20% off. Look at it like this: if there wasn't a new series, wouldn't you jump at the 20% discount??? And yes, the 802 is a no brainer over every speaker except the 802D and above!!
                :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• sprakash
                  • Jan 2005

Thanks jlee and DanR, just one other question.
                  My Bryston 9B is ~130x5 - would this be OK to drive the 802s or would I need to upgrade the amp as well.
                  Cheers,
                  SP

Comment

• DanR
                    • Dec 2004

The only real way to know is try it out. If you don't like the sound, then upgrade. My Jeff Rowland Model 2 is only rated at 75 watts x 2 but it drives my 802's effortlessly. Then again it was a $6000 amp and very conservatively rated.
                    :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

B stock items have been carefully scrutinised at the factory, and you would have difficulty seeing why they were downrated - usually sone fine cabinet faults.

I bought a set of 802's (B stock) recently and only paid the equivalent of $4750.

You can get 20% off brand new stuff if you haggle!!

IMHO 130 watts will not getthe best out of your 802's - I have upgraded to the Bryston 7B SST and the sound is brilliant.

Caleb

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"