HTM7 doesn't sound right with my 704s - what to upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason R
    • Jul 2004

HTM7 doesn't sound right with my 704s - what to upgrade?

I have been looking through some options and have come up with the followng possibilities, first let me explain why i want to change my current config.

Setup currently

B&W 704 mains powered by Leinson 27.5, and HTM7 centre powered by marantz ma500. Running through 1098, with audioquest pikes peak cable and jaguar interconnects, so what should be a complete balance excluding the amplifiers from the equation.

Problem is the centre is either to soft or to bright no matter how i try to set it up, changing delays and volumes has helped slightly as has a carpet to try and smooth it out a bit. Cinema EQ on and off as well depending on wether it was to bright or to mellow. However even at the best i have been able to achieve it just does not sound right. I have concluded that the marantz is just not a match for the levinson and no matter how hard i try it is not going to form a smooth balance, i could be wrong but after 2 weeks of experimenting and watching a complete dvd after each change, this is all i can put it down to.

Option 1

move 1080 currently powering rears to centre and bi-amp the centre, obtaining another ma500 to replace it for the rears. This propably the cheapest option, and what i am leaning towards.

Option 2

Rotel 1090 for fronts and levinson biamped for centre, have not heard the 1090 so i am not sure how "musical" it is as i love the levinson for 2 channel which i listen to quite alot. Propably most expensive, but should it be worth it far far cheaper than a new levinson and this way i would get an upgrade for both centre and mains which would be a bonus.

Option 3

RB 1070 bridged to drive centre, how good is this amp when bridged is the only thing that worries me.

Thanks guys, i have been mulling this over for quite some time as a good monoblock for the centre is going to be very expensive and i would rather try and get the best utilisation out of current components i have in the system.
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

I saw your other post, and now I have read this one. I can understand why noone has responded. This is very subjective.

Anyone can recommend different options and it may or may not fix the problem.

I have none of these items so it is hard to know the sound quality of the given component, let alone the synergies between them. Not to mention room acoustics...

So, to give you some advice...

What I would do....purchase a good quality 5 channel amp of your likings, I would recommend sticking to the same manufacturer as your stereo amp (Levinson) and use that to drive your center and rears, and have 2 channels available to drive 2 more rears or possibly a 2nd room stereo. Sell the marantz or use it in another room or give it to your brother-in law! Im sure he will be happy!

But the root cause could be the speaker chosen...so, you might be chasing your tail trying to solve the problem with the wrong tool so to speak.

Hope this helps....

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Jason,

Firstly (from experience) your old "Upgrade Advice Needed" title is too general - as a moderator I have noticed that 90+% of the threads with no answer have a general title so the people who may know don't necessarily read them - hence I have changed the title.

Secondly - the post is as much about B&W as Rotel - So I have copied it from Club Rotel into Club B&W (with a new name again)

Lastly - let me have a go at answering your questions: :banana: (all personal opinions of course!)

My first recommendation is to consider changing the centre from the HTM7 to the HTM1 (old model) or HTM3S (new model). This is a much better match as centre than the HTM7 and likely to be cost effective as an upgrade... I'd then drive it with the 1080 bi-amped if you really want to make it sing!

However if you wish to stay with the HTM7 then:
      Try the option 1 of moving the 1080 to the centre first (run without the rears). But don't buy the extra MA500 yet until you know you like it - just use 3 channel stereo or Dolby 3 or similar (or even disconnect the rears for 5.1) - so you know of the amp makes enough difference.

Option 2 is very personal - the 1090 is a great value amp and sounds awesome - but as to whether it is good enough that you won't miss the Levenson on the stereo that you listen to and enjoy so much... You would need to listen to the 1090 for yourself and see if you like its tonal balance...

I don't recommend option 3 - the 1070 bridged is just not as clean as a native 1080 for most peoples ears and is likely to not be any kind of worthwhile step up from your MA500.

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• bcgator
        • Nov 2004

Aussie,

Why are you recommending, as a first call, changing from the HTM7 to the HTM1 as a match with those 704's? Not that the HTM1 isn't better....it is a better center. But a better match for the 704's than the HTM7? I'd have to question that. I had the 704 + HTM7 matchup, and they go together perfectly. From what I know, they've got the exact same driver setup and crossover point, correct?

Obviously there's something wrong with Jason's setup, because he's not enjoying the synergy that he's supposed to have with that combination. But I"m not sure that matching an HTM1 (or HTM3s) with 704's is going to make a seamless, cohesive home theatre front.

BCGator

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

BCGatore,
          From what I know, they've got the exact same driver setup and crossover point, correct?
          No the HTM7 is a perfect match for the 705 with the same driver as they have. However the 704 is a 2 1/2 way with a tweeter, mid bass and bass. The midrange and bass (to my ears) is quite different to the HTM7 which as a 2 way only (the difference is even greater for the 703 with its FST midrange.) Indeed lots of people have asked B&W to make a 703 based centre and for a while B&W was seriously considering it...

So - technically there is no perfect match for the 704 as a centre... (except another 704!). But the HTM1 or HTM3S will give a different tonal balance to the HTM7 that may be moire to the liking of Jason, Certainly by B&W dealer regularly sells the 703s with the old HTM1...

But sound is personal... Jason needs to listen

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"