X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

B&W scams on Ebay

I just wanted to post a warning for anyone looking on Ebay for B&W speakers. Here lately there has been a rash of fake auctions on Ebay for B&W speakers, most are for the Nautilus series, It seems to be one or two of the same people, they either hi-jack someones account or are a new user with no feed back. I have seen over 20 auctions so far this week get shut down that were scams. They are usually 1 to 3 day listings, and you have to be pre-approved to bid. There has been some person named Auction scam Buster blasting these auctions with crazy bids to make sure no one can win ( its kind of funny). So be careful out there!
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • bcgator
    • Nov 2004

Yes, I've run into this, but knew something didn't smell right. Look out for someone named Armand Zemik. That's not his ebay id, just the name he uses in emails. An auction will go up requiring pre-approval of bidders. Then you email them and get a response from Armand Zemik saying that he can't accept paypal and won't allow local pickup, and that you are to make payment through Square Trade (which isn't possible anyway). It's a complete scam. I've seen this several times, especially on Nautilus 802's. They even steal other people's photos, so if you watch auction traffic it's easy to spot the scams because they'll be showing the same speakers (in the same living room) that were sold by someone else a week earlier.

Thanks for mentioning this Soundgravy.

BCGator

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

Yeah, I have seen this on a few occassions - this most recent was for those red cherry Nautlius 802's. I don't understand why the police can't get to them, I mean all they have to do is track the IP from the ISP (who should be keeping logs?)
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• tmt
        • Jan 2005

hehe I've also 'won' a few of those. It's just too funny to see how they want to lure you into their scams when the bidding is over. But too bad there are people falling for it...

If you want a good read about a scammer getting a taste of his own medicine, read the story about the p-p-p powerbook. :P splendid!

Comment

• bcgator
          • Nov 2004

That is HI-LARIOUS! Those binder-powerbook photos had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Thanks for posting tmt!

BCGator

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

:rofl: I think I just soiled myself! That has got to be the funniest damn thing I have ever read!! Holy crap!!!! That guy got it good! Thanks for posting that!
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

I made a bid for a HTM1 last week at ebay.com.au, but unfortunately came in second.

Then I got an ebay message offering me a "second chance" at the HTM1, as "the highest bidder had pulled out". But the supposed seller's email address was different to the original seller's email address, and they wanted an "off-ebay" transaction, so I knew it was a scam. I contacted the original seller and they confirmed it wasn't from them.

So that's another B&W ebay scam to look out for.

--Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"