X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryx
    • Oct 2005

B&W E-bay scams

I was browsing E-bay looking at used equipment as I often do when I came across a set of auctions that are great examples of E-bay scams!!!

I thought I would share them with the forum to inform those of you who are new to purchasing on E-bay of what to look out for.

those are the links to the auctions that are clearly SCAMS!

I have saved both pages to my hard drive so that I may be able to post them on here more permanently, (E-bay will most likely have these removed fairly quick) but not sure where to put them to do so.

Watch out for these kind of auctions! it is best to just ignore them.
    any auction that wants you to E-mail them directly should be red flagged and ignored.

hope this will help people from being scammed!
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

Yes it's laughable. I once emailed a few times with one of those scammers that had a pair of N802s "for sale". The excuses he thought of when I said I wanted to come and collect the speakers were great! :P

BTW here is a scammer getting a taste of his own medicine (the famous p-p-powerbook story), a must read!! :rofl:
    The website is saved as a pdf file.
    It's the New York City. If you're bored at night, you're doing something so wrong. So, no doubt, you must be looking for a bit of fun in the stunning views and fascinating streets of the New York City. Whereas Manhattan is considered to be the heart of NYC so read below and discover about the best dance clubs in

It's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read.

Comment

• Cambs12
      • Jul 2006

that is very funny!!

I have bought a high value amplifier on Ebay,but i picked it up from the seller,and checked serial numbers and had a few phone calls with the seller before the end of the auction.
      I personally would always pick up item in person,paying cash,wouldn't feel safe paying a large sum over paypal or whatever,before haveing item posted to me.
      When i first joined Ebay,i quickly worked out that B&W 800ds do not,in the real world,go for a buy it now price of 1000,with not being able to contact seller except for an external e-mail address.But i am hacked off at Ebay for not advising new users all the pitfalls,including scammed accounts and fake Ebay emails,requesting password details.I understand it is bad publicity for them,but lots of people getting fleeced would surely do them more harm in the long term...

Comment

• ssabripo
        • Dec 2005

LOL...

when I was shopping for my 802s, I looked at ebay too. I knew it was a scam, but nevertheless, I played along with this one guy who wanted $3k for them, local here in miami.

He wanted money order only, and I told him that I lived in miami too, and I would drop off "cash" and pick them up at the same time........a few BS emails about how his "brother has them ready to ship, it would be easier, etc, etc", and I just kept laughing on how stupid and assinine these people actually are.

I told him, " you mean that's easier for you to ship them and to recieve money orders, than for a local pickup + exchange of cash?" .... never heard from him again, and his listing got deleted within an hour.

come to find out, ebay contacted me, and told me there is a group of scammers that is baiting on high-end hi-fi electronic equipment/speakers, and they are really trying to crack down on it.
        My simple HT setup
        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Grasynoll
          • Mar 2006

e-bay has cleaned up the B & W scams lately. It was really bad about a year ago.

Comment

• Angioguy
            • Nov 2005

Scammers

Yeah, I don't believe everything I read either.... there are even deceptive people on Audiogon.com, so beware!
            B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• PhotoRobot
              • Feb 2005

My experience with buying high end audio on mass auction websites is that when it's fake it's obviously too good to be true (as they say). Worse, when it's real you end up with a nominal saving, a lot of worry and concern and you don't get the satisfaction of the purchase. Everything of value is bid up to the maximum price (which is good for the seller, but doesn't justify the bargain for the winning bidder). Also, being in Canada ads another dimension in Customs and Duties. The equipment always garners extra special attention to customs and extra special love and handling from UPS (I love when the boxes show up all damaged).

While I am not against purchasing something used, from reputable people and websites. Especially enthusiasts. It's funny how many people will put themselves out on a shaky limb for little or no benefit in the end.

Audiogon has some deceptive people but as you move into a more enthusiast site specific website you have to admit there is more confidence there then other places.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"