X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amirsafdari
    • Dec 2004

Seasons Greetings All, Question about Amping 602 S3

I have purchased a set of B&W 602 S3's.

The room is 8ft tall, 16ft long, 10ft wide.

Sadly the speakers will be only 7ft away from my ears.

I will eventually want to get centre channel as well as rears and a sub.

Which surround sound reciever would you all recommend of the 3 brands?

Rotel RSDX - 02 ( dvd+reciever combo with 80 x 5 power claim with 0.8% THD
    Any other Rotel products you would suggest for under $1000 u.s.?
    Anything Denon?
    Harman Kardon?

Requirements are that they are loud enough to make full use of the speakers sound, as well, the recievers must look good in a room, prefer silver units that are not black.

I would really hope to get the RSDX-02, however the THD seems to be higher that their other products, and nobody has this unit around here, so I dont know how well they will perform.

Auditioning is out of the question for me unfortenetly between the RSDX-02 vs whatever.

Thanks for the help,
    Also by no means am I an expert in home theatre, so if I've made any ignorant comments above, please correct me
  • amirsafdari
    • Dec 2004

Also, f I went with the RSDX-02, which has 0.8THD which is higher than their other stuff, would there be an audible difference between 0.8% and 0.05% THD?

would it really matter a lot to me in a smaller space?

I would imagine the difference betweens 0.8% and 0.05% to be quite a bit no?

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

good pick on the 602s amirsafdair. The best bookshelf speaker in the 600s range, no doubt. The small difference in THD is very small that I doubt you can hear it with your ears. I'm driving my 600s with a Denon 2805, BTW. I think it does a fine job for movies. I wouldn't take the RSDX02 even it is the same price as the Denon 2805 ($700). I rather have separate componets, a DVD player and a dedicated receiver. The 602s are not difficult to drive and any of your proposed manufacture's receivers should be able to drive it fairly well. If you also have a sub, then set the 602s as "small" and it'll take a load off the receiver further.
      Like you said, since you're in a small room you won't need as much power for the speakers, but more power usually means cleaner sounds at lower volume as well. So there's no such thing as too much power. Do you have anything to break the speakers in with at the moment? If you do, break them in first, which will take about a good 100 hours, or 1 month. Then find a dealer that let you do in home demos and bring as many units home and test them with the speakers as possible. Room acoustics has such a big influence on how the speakers sound, so the only way you'll really know if you like it or not, is to hear it in your own room. Good luck.

Comment

• stantheman2
        • Apr 2004

I heartily recommend the Rotel RSX-1056. I have that receiver combined with 600 Series 2 speakers and the Rotel is a MAJOR improvement over the older Denon receiver (AVR-2700) I was using. The Rotel provides much more detail and tighter transients than the Denon I had (newer Denons may be improved).

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

I'll second the rotel rsx1056 recomendation.I have one powering 603s3 fronts lcr600 center..

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I'm not sure what you have available, but I wouldn't rule out Yamaha's Receivers to push the 602s...

My old Yamaha Rx-v1400 pushed the 604s perfectly fine and I loved the sound, it's very close to my Rotel 1098 in terms of sound quality...but the Rotel is definitely in another league.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• amirsafdari
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
              good pick on the 602s amirsafdair. The best bookshelf speaker in the 600s range, no doubt. The small difference in THD is very small that I doubt you can hear it with your ears. I'm driving my 600s with a Denon 2805, BTW. I think it does a fine job for movies. I wouldn't take the RSDX02 even it is the same price as the Denon 2805 ($700). I rather have separate componets, a DVD player and a dedicated receiver. The 602s are not difficult to drive and any of your proposed manufacture's receivers should be able to drive it fairly well. If you also have a sub, then set the 602s as "small" and it'll take a load off the receiver further.
              Like you said, since you're in a small room you won't need as much power for the speakers, but more power usually means cleaner sounds at lower volume as well. So there's no such thing as too much power. Do you have anything to break the speakers in with at the moment? If you do, break them in first, which will take about a good 100 hours, or 1 month. Then find a dealer that let you do in home demos and bring as many units home and test them with the speakers as possible. Room acoustics has such a big influence on how the speakers sound, so the only way you'll really know if you like it or not, is to hear it in your own room. Good luck.

Thanks for the great reply!

I think I will go aheead with the RSDX-02, I dont see myself moving anytime soon, and in a small condo, i am really limited on turning up the volume anyways.

I need something that takes up little space, and gets the job done for me simply, I'm not into home audio too much, so i dont think i' would use the added benefits of seperate components anyways.

Thanks for your help

Comment

• amirsafdari
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by stantheman2
                I heartily recommend the Rotel RSX-1056. I have that receiver combined with 600 Series 2 speakers and the Rotel is a MAJOR improvement over the older Denon receiver (AVR-2700) I was using. The Rotel provides much more detail and tighter transients than the Denon I had (newer Denons may be improved).

I actually just heard 602's with a 1056 yesterday, and it sounded AMAZING watching I Robot on a rotel 1040. It was in a 18x18 size room, fairly big, and it sounded PERFECT. I just dont have the budget and the space to get the 1056 and a rotel dvd player as well...another reason why I'l go with the RSDX-02

Comment

• Fraise
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by amirsafdari
                  I actually just heard 602's with a 1056 yesterday, and it sounded AMAZING watching I Robot on a rotel 1040. It was in a 18x18 size room, fairly big, and it sounded PERFECT. I just dont have the budget and the space to get the 1056 and a rotel dvd player as well...another reason why I'l go with the RSDX-02
                  c'mon...just break down and get the 1056 already then sell all your US amps and do the full theater setup i'm sure your new condo will have more than enough room to accomodate the receiver and a dvd player, its only 1 extra piece.

Comment

• Fraise
                    • Dec 2004

also i'd recommend when you're looking at rear speakers, to actually look at new front speakers and move the 602's to the back. something like the 604's would put a smile on your face, or if you want to spend a little bit more the CM6's are fantastic. basically get full range speakers for your mains. even though you plan on getting a sub it'll make the experience that much better. basically for the sub and center you're looking at approx $1500 (guessing prices, its been a while). For the 604's, you should be able to get them for around the same price. i know you wont have the full 5.1 setup but you'll have the four corners covered and still have enough bass for pleasureable movie watching and music listening. Since you do live in a condo, i'd say hold off on the sub too because it wont be that often that you can listen to it how you would want to. as for the lack of a center channel, with proper placement of the mains you should have enough focus to create an imaginary center channel.

just for the record iv'e owned the LCR60, CM6's with the CMC, the CDM 9NT's with the CDM CNT, then the Nautilus 803's. sice moving to the full range mains i've been extremely happy with the results and would never go back to bookshelves with a sub. but then i also listen to 90% music and 10% movies.

for now...this is the setup i'd go with

Rotel 1056
                    B&W 602 S3 rears
                    your old sony dvd player or you can buy my toshiba when i get the classe cd/dvd

then...

B&W 604 S3 mains instead of the center/sub

then...

rotel 1040 dvd player

then to finish it off,

B&W sub/center combo.

remember doing it piece by piece wont make it seem like you're spending as much money when compared to all at once. :T let me know when you want to come by and listen to the ascents

Comment

• amirsafdari
                      • Dec 2004

lol whats up fraise, thanks for the reply
                      you definetly are an expensive freind to have!!

haha, I dont think I would be able to afford all that man...
                      The review of the rsdx-02 said that it puts out a full 80 watts, of the rotel power we all know and love. You know I'm not into feautures and little details with music.

Anyways, my dad ended up getting a tv today too for his house, the new Sony KDF-60XS955 link, its their new XS series that is taking over their XBR as of next month. We were actually just about to purchase the Pioneer plasma that you mentioned till we saw the picture of this beauty. After this weekend, you should come over one night and check it out. He also got his ASW650 sub today. Now we are just waiting on his surrounds to get in.

As for the 604's, they are way too much for my condo lol, and i wouldnt even know where to put the 602s behind me, they are quite bulky, i was thinking id get some 600's for rear.

I've also read about positioning the fronts efficiently in order to eliminate a centre channel for now, so I'l be doing that for now.

Comment

• Fraise
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by amirsafdari
                        As for the 604's, they are way too much for my condo lol, and i wouldnt even know where to put the 602s behind me, they are quite bulky, i was thinking id get some 600's for rear.
                        if i can run martin logan ascents and classe electronics in a 12 x 16 room, you can fit 604's in your condo :W

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                          • May 2004

I have the 603s and the 604s really aren't that much bigger. I've had the 602s as mains at one time, and the 604s has the same footprint of the 602s so I have some idea how big it is in person. My viewing area was 11x28, but I flipped it around and now the area is about 15x11. With smaller rooms, floorstanders can sound a little boomier. Ask your dealer if you can borrow the 604s for a couple of days and try it out. I'd take the 1056 also over the rsdx02. You can get a good DVD 480p player pretty cheap nowadays. If I have to use my system without a sub, I'd definitly go with 604s as mains, instead of 602s.

Comment

• amirsafdari
                            • Dec 2004

thanks guys, i actually already got the 602s3, and i am waiting on the rsdx reciever to get here...

so far, hooked up to my 10 year old sony reciever...the speakers sound amazing. And the bass shakes my whole condo lol.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"