Which TV is that by the way?

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

:W :W

Hi Rod,

now is better?? happy?! :B

and if you try to place the left more distant from the center? Ok, I do is not the "perfecr circle from L-C-R but are not too "closed" the speaker? you can win in sonor scene....

I have ca. 3,5meter from L&R...is is not a problem with the rack go try...
      what do you think?
      Omar

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
        Wow Rod#S, very nice.
        Your L/R are quite forward?
        Which TV is that by the way?
        Thanks, yes the L/R are 5 feet from the wall to the front of the tweeter.

The tv is a 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD i.e 1st generation Kuro
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by style
          :W :W

Hi Rod,

now is better?? happy?! :B

and if you try to place the left more distant from the center? Ok, I do is not the "perfecr circle from L-C-R but are not too "closed" the speaker? you can win in sonor scene....

I have ca. 3,5meter from L&R...is is not a problem with the rack go try...
          what do you think?
          Omar
          They definitely sound great and I am very happy with the purchase. Ideally you are correct, I would like to be able to move the L/R further away fron the center and either move the center a bit further back or the L/R a bit more forward to create the circle but alas, living in an apartment prevents me from doing that. The problem with this arrangement is that I can't move my left speaker further to the left because it would block the gear in the A/V rack preventing IR signals getting to the equipment and unfortunately my cables are all too short to move the A/V rack further away from the tv. I tried having the L/R a bit more forward but they just seemed too close to the seating position and too much in my face.

As a testament to the sound of the 802 Diamonds, I am a hard core surround sound guy, I have been listening to music and movies in surround sound for appx. 7 years and with music in particular I thought I would never listen in stereo again. Well, the 802s have changed that, I am now listening to my 2 channel music strictly in stereo, I just love these speakers.

Rod
          B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• nirvana_1911
            • Mar 2011

I thought it might be a Pioneer, they're really nice.
            B&W 802 in Australia are $25,000 MSRP a pair.
            Why are they more reasonably priced in the USA.

Comment

• Rod#S
              • Oct 2010

I thought it might be a Pioneer, they're really nice.
              B&W 802 in Australia are $25,000 MSRP a pair.
              Why are they more reasonably priced in the USA.
              8O $25,000, that's nuts.

I agree, I really like the Pioneer, to date the only tv which I have seen and consider better was the 9G Pioneer Elites, the PRO-151 and PRO-141, they had even better black levels than my 8G. It was a sad day when Pioneer left the tv market. Before Fujitsu left the tv market, they were making models right up there with Pioneer. My local dealer still has a 50" 720p Fujitsu behind the sales counter and the picture is stunning.

I'm from Canada and our price only differes by appx $1000-$2000 from the US price which is nice but wow, $25,000, that's like the price of the 800 Diamonds here, those must go for like $40,000 in Australia. I'm not sure why there is such a difference in prices.

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                • Mar 2011

I can never afford the 800 series speakers here in Australia because of the pricing, it's way too much.
                I have the 600 series and want to upgrade to the CM's.
                The 800's retail for $37,000 a pair, I'm sure they've come down a little in price, I remember they were $4x,000 previously.
                How much are the 800 Series speakers in Canada?

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                  • Apr 2007

I can never afford the 800 series speakers here in Australia because of the pricing, it's way too much.
                  The 800's retail for $37,000 a pair, I'm sure they've come down a little in price, I remember they were $4x,000 previously.
                  Sadly they even more overpriced in New Zealand - for 802 Diamond: $35000NZD = $28,960USD, for 800 Diamond: $50,000NZD = $41,380USD!!

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Guys - even Europe have outrageous pricing. We are at least double the US prices..

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Guys - even Europe have outrageous pricing. We are at least double the US prices..
                      I agree with aarsoe!

and in "country" like Switzerland , No EU= No Euro / €. with the money changing the prices from B&W-Classe is tooo much!!!!

Style

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

As a testament to the sound of the 802 Diamonds, I am a hard core surround sound guy, I have been listening to music and movies in surround sound for appx. 7 years and with music in particular I thought I would never listen in stereo again. Well, the 802s have changed that, I am now listening to my 2 channel music strictly in stereo, I just love these speakers. Rod
                        Rod,
                        I 'm in the same situation. I love HT but with te 802di the sound in stereo like me a lot day by day ... always more!

Style

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Miketr75
                          I just placed an order for the XPA-2 to bi-amp with the BAT VK-6200, it should be here by Friday, Mike
                          Hi Mike,

What do you think of the XPA-2?

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Mark_NZ
                            Sadly they even more overpriced in New Zealand - for 802 Diamond: $35000NZD = $28,960USD, for 800 Diamond: $50,000NZD = $41,380USD!!
                            That makes a pair of 803Ds for $11,250 NZD look like a bargain doesn't it Mark?

Nigel.

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bigburner
                              That makes a pair of 803Ds for $11,250 NZD look like a bargain doesn't it Mark?

Nigel.
                              It does.
                              I'm also interested to know what the XPA-2 is like.

Comment

• Rod#S
                                • Oct 2010

The US MSRP for the 802 Diamond is $15,000 and I think the MSRP here in Canada is $16,500

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

This was taken during the transition.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                    Nice. Are those icepower modules you use for amplification? I forget their names but I have definately seen them before.
                                    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                      Nice. Are those icepower modules you use for amplification? I forget their names but I have definately seen them before.
                                      Yes. Bel Canto Ref-1000, Mk.II. Not in use at that time as I was using the Mac.
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• pazu
                                        • Nov 2009

Hi Rod!

How many meters are there between your speakers now?

Comment

• Rod#S
                                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by pazu
                                          Hi Rod!

How many meters are there between your speakers now?
                                          Only 1.9 meters from tweeter to tweeter. I wish the distance could be further but to do so would impede the IR line of site to my A/V rack. Even at 1.9 meters I find the imaging to be amazing.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Interesting Kal. Do you routinely listen with the grills on or was that just for the photo op? Also, are you back to living the status quo or will the 800D2 be sticking around permanently?
                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• pazu
                                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                                              Only 1.9 meters from tweeter to tweeter. I wish the distance could be further but to do so would impede the IR line of site to my A/V rack. Even at 1.9 meters I find the imaging to be amazing.
                                              Oh, that's sure!

Anyway, my congratulations for your system, Rod.

:T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                Interesting Kal. Do you routinely listen with the grills on or was that just for the photo op? Also, are you back to living the status quo or will the 800D2 be sticking around permanently?
                                                Varies. As I posted in another thread, I now have 3 of the 800Diamonds up front.
                                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                  • Jun 2009

Varies. As I posted in another thread, I now have 3 of the 800Diamonds up front.
                                                  Sweet! What do you power them with?
                                                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                    Hi James, I always read with interest your informed and detailed posts. You seem to have disappeared for the last year, where have you been?

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                      • Jun 2011

Here are some pictures of my 5.1 HT with a pair of N804 for rear channels (not picture) in our apartment. I'm still need to do some work on them, will post some more pix when done. The Marantz MM8003 has been sold, I'm using Marantz AV8003 as processor with the BAT VK6200 5 channels amp hidden in the back. I just got the Emotiva XPA-2 in and will bi-amp for the 2 front channels.

Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                                                        • Mar 2011

Very nice Mike, nice cables you got there too.

Comment

• ninja12
                                                          • Mar 2007

Here are some pictures of my 5.1 HT with a pair of N804 for rear channels (not picture) in our apartment. I'm still need to do some work on them, will post some more pix when done. The Marantz MM8003 has been sold, I'm using Marantz AV8003 as processor with the BAT VK6200 5 channels amp hidden in the back. I just got the Emotiva XPA-2 in and will bi-amp for the 2 front channels.

Congrats on your setup. One suggestion that I have for you is to move your fronts forward so that they are at least even with your center channel. If you could position them so that they are a little in front of your center channel, that would be even better. Also, if you could spread your fronts a little further apart, that would also be a help. If you do make these changes, you will have to run your room correction again. Once again, congrats on your setup. :T

Comment

• bows3r
                                                            • Jul 2010

A tad overkill these past two setups that have been posted in my opinion. No offense :W

Comment

• dukester
                                                              • Sep 2010

Great gear, confined spaces suck.

Miketr75, as ninja12 suggested, positioning tweaks should greatly enhance your setup...concerned the staggered setup/proximity of your mains is messing with your soundstage/imaging. Also, will you connect your XPA-2 to your Panamax?
                                                              McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

hi Miketr75,

gear are good, but AIR!!! ops:

push the "zoom", not a lens close up!!

with the 802 can you at each listing go change the position....8if at the left dont' will be possible a fix "stand-by" of the speaker

your soundsage will be very different and every session will give you a great satisfaction. :T
                                                                You dont' think?
                                                                style

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dukester
                                                                  Great gear, confined spaces suck.

Miketr75, as ninja12 suggested, positioning tweaks should greatly enhance your setup...concerned the staggered setup/proximity of your mains is messing with your soundstage/imaging. Also, will you connect your XPA-2 to your Panamax?
                                                                  Thank you for your suggestions dukester, sytle and ninja12. I moved the left speaker back further than the right and center speakers to block access to the back of my system from my 20 months old daughter. I also wanted to remove my old JBL ND310II to give more room for the B&W but my wife wanted to keep them for the her Karaoke system (units on the right corner), she loves the JBL yub confined spaces suck. I hope we will have a opportunity to buy a house someday.
                                                                  dukester, I plan to connect the XPA-2 to the AMP option on the Panamax. Do you know that best way to connect power to amps ? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                                                                  Mike
                                                                  Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                    Hi Mike,

What do you think of the XPA-2?

Nigel.
                                                                    I haven't get a chance to install it yet, still waiting for the XLR and 2 new pairs of speaker cables which will be here today. I'll post a review later this week. Thanks
                                                                    Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                                      • Jun 2011

Now I got the Emotiva XPA-2 and all the accessories cables for bi-amping. What is the best way for me to bi-amp ? Bi-amp using all four channels from the BAT VK6200 for the front speakers and leave one channel from the BAT for the Center, use the XPA-2 for rear channels OR bi-amp the front channels with XPA-2 and 2 channels from the BAT, use the rest for center and rears. I'm thinking the second option is the best way but want to check for more suggestions please.

Thanks
                                                                      Mike
                                                                      Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• dukester
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2010

Thank you for your suggestions dukester, sytle and ninja12. I moved the left speaker back further than the right and center speakers to block access to the back of my system from my 20 months old daughter. I also wanted to remove my old JBL ND310II to give more room for the B&W but my wife wanted to keep them for the her Karaoke system (units on the right corner), she loves the JBL yub confined spaces suck. I hope we will have a opportunity to buy a house someday.
                                                                        dukester, I plan to connect the XPA-2 to the AMP option on the Panamax. Do you know that best way to connect power to amps ? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                                                                        Mike
                                                                        I have the 5400PM and here in CO Springs, we're prone to lightning storms (having one right now). So until I get an electrician to install a protected/dedicated line, I'll keep gear connected to it. Per the Panamax literature, their high current banks do not limit power output, so I think you/we'll be ok sonically. Best bet is to A/B it...I haven't yet.
                                                                        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jun 2011

I have the 5400PM and here in CO Springs, we're prone to lightning storms (having one right now). So until I get an electrician to install a protected/dedicated line, I'll keep gear connected to it. Per the Panamax literature, their high current banks do not limit power output, so I think you/we'll be ok sonically. Best bet is to A/B it...I haven't yet.
                                                                          Thanks. The Panamax that I have is 5300PM
                                                                          Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                                                            Hi James, I always read with interest your informed and detailed posts. You seem to have disappeared for the last year, where have you been?
                                                                            Comments much appreciated SPACEMAN, thanks. Actually, my time has been divided between multiple hobbies and family which hasn't left as much free time to visit these fora as before but lately it has been getting better.
                                                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2010
                                                                              • 474

Originally posted by bows3r
                                                                              A tad overkill these past two setups that have been posted in my opinion. No offense :W
                                                                              No such thing as overkill :B

Edit: If I could afford it I would have 9 JM Lab Grande Utopia's powered by as many Bryston 28B-SST2 amps that speakers have terminals to connect to and at least 4 Paradigm Signature Sub2s and even then I would call it far from overkill
                                                                              Last edited by Rod#S; 08 July 2011, 17:24 Friday.

Comment

• Mortal
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 9

Update pictures of my B&W setup.

Here are some new pictures of my B&W system. There are few updates since my last post. I have gone to five channel setup. Center speaker CMC2, surrounds B&W DS3`s and Rotel RMB-1575 are new and TV is placed on the wall. I also installed spikes on the bottom of CM7`s and ASW610.

Attached Files

Comment

• nirvana_1911
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2011
                                                                                  • 41

Very nice setup Mortal, very clean.
                                                                                  How do the DS3's sound to you?
                                                                                  Better than CM5's would for the rears?

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 1216

Mortal,

Very nice and clean setup. Looks very nice.

I have one suggestion. Move the center channel to the front edge of the entertainment center (or even a slight overhang). This should open up the sound a bit. In its current position, the entertainment center is boxing in the sound.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• dukester
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2010
                                                                                      • 198

Mortal,

Nice. HTSteve beat me to it; moving your center forward was my same thought. Also, wondering if corner placement for your sub might improve things...just a thought.

Comment

• Miketr75
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2011
                                                                                        • 51

[QUOTE=style]hi Miketr75,

gear are good, but AIR!!! ops:

Good gears are easier to get than good "Air" here in the Bay Area, CA USA. Here we don't have extra room such as the basement like many members have over the USA Central and East Coast. We are in apartment, not much room but like many others, it's the hobby so we are just trying to enjoy what we have now. Thanks
                                                                                        Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• Mortal
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2008
                                                                                          • 9

Very nice setup Mortal, very clean.
                                                                                          How do the DS3's sound to you?
                                                                                          Better than CM5's would for the rears?
                                                                                          Nirvana, thanks.

Probably the CM5´s would sound better, but I had to to few compromises, cause in my apartment surrounds are pretty hard to place correctly. Had to locate left surround on top of the draining board and right surround at same height on the opposite wall. I know that it might seem that they are bit too low, but another option is locate them at 2,9m high and that is not good either.(I tested both ways). Still they sound pretty darn good on movies! :T Because they are about 1m behind listening point I like to keep them on dipole mode, giving more wide surround sound.

htsteve!

Thanks for advice! I noticed that it really does sound better like that.

Attached Files

Comment

• Mortal
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                                            • 9

Mortal,

Nice. HTSteve beat me to it; moving your center forward was my same thought. Also, wondering if corner placement for your sub might improve things...just a thought.
                                                                                            I had tested corner placment also for sub but I think that bass becomes too boooomy like that. Current placement gives more acurate bass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"