This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquaanox
    • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=marsboer]Here is some pictures from my B&W 802D setup.
    The amplifier on the pictures is NAD M3 but I am currently waiting for my new Electrocompaniet AW400 monoblocks together with the EC 4.8 pre-amp.

I will put up some new pictures when the new gear arrives.

What is the red stuff on the walls ??

Comment

• Bredin
      • Aug 2007

Here's a link to my gallery on another forum.B&W 705 massacre!
      :dancenana:
      Audiophile/know it all wannabe

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I can't translate, and am too lazy to babelfish it... what was the reason for pulling the speaker out?
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Bredin
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
          I can't translate, and am too lazy to babelfish it... what was the reason for pulling the speaker out?
          To show how cheap B&W 705 looks, and how much better Audio Technology drivers looks :B

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Bredin
            To show how cheap B&W 705 looks, and how much better Audio Technology drivers looks :B

ummmm :scratchhead: :huh:
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• kobestonecold
              • Sep 2007

What the heck are you talking about? For me 705 :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                What the heck are you talking about? For me 705 :T
                yeah but isn't it amazing what great sound comes out of such cheap looking drivers. Pity Audio Technology can't achieve sound as good while still looking cheap.

Actually come to thing of it that black looks really nasty to me. Yellow is far prettier. Come back when you have a nice yellow Audio Technology driver for us to look at so that we can nod our heads in agreement and sell our B&Ws for Audio Technology Bwenddinn ones.

Alternately pop in those drivers and tell us what the resulting improvements are to the 705. If its a great cheap upgrade then we might all do it and you could get a job at B&W. But you will still need to buy some yellow paint.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• evp1312
                  • Nov 2007

When a Child is born

Originally posted by fredBelgium
                  Thank you for posting this great record.

Comment

• Bredin
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                    yeah but isn't it amazing what great sound comes out of such cheap looking drivers. Pity Audio Technology can't achieve sound as good while still looking cheap.

Actually come to thing of it that black looks really nasty to me. Yellow is far prettier. Come back when you have a nice yellow Audio Technology driver for us to look at so that we can nod our heads in agreement and sell our B&Ws for Audio Technology Bwenddinn ones.

Alternately pop in those drivers and tell us what the resulting improvements are to the 705. If its a great cheap upgrade then we might all do it and you could get a job at B&W. But you will still need to buy some yellow paint.
                    True! The worlds best drivers can't achive the same sound as the corn-looking B&W speakers :Z .
                    But seriously. The 705 sounds great! Maybe alittle slow, and abit to high distortion. But for the price, they are just :E .

And no! I will never paint my Audio Technolgy drivers yellow and my scanspeak 6600 silver! :B

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	wwwminhembiocom-bilder-bildbild_006.webp
Views:	56
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	948863
                      Maybe I am missing it but why does the Audio Technology look better?

They are completely different designs. Look at the size of the top plate. Goood LORD that AT has a HUGE top plate if that is a midrange.

Both baskets look to be cast, but B&W didn't bother to color theirs. However, I would go with the way that the B&W basket is, simply thinking about airflow and moto reflectance.

It actually looks like the B&W and the AT use about the same sized slug in the motor, but look at that top plate.

SO seriously why does the AT make the B&W look cheap?
                      Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 04:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote and image location
                      -Joe

Comment

• kobestonecold
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                        Maybe I am missing it but why does the Audio Technology look better?

They are completely different designs. Look at the size of the top plate. Goood LORD that AT has a HUGE top plate if that is a midrange.

Both baskets look to be cast, but B&W didn't bother to color theirs. However, I would go with the way that the B&W basket is, simpley thinking about airflow and moto reflectance.

It actually looks like the B&W and the AT use about the same sized slug in the motor, but look at that top plate.

SO seriously why does the AT make the B&W look cheap?
                        that is what i want to ask him? 705 look fine

Comment

• Bredin
                          • Aug 2007

The B&W looks weak, and like a world champion in high qts. Thin voicecoil that gives less support for the cone, and that the cone is glued to the black plug. The suspension is very far from the cone that results in less control, the cables/chords are thin like hell. The driver is mounted in 2 screws only. Sure, the magnet is big, but the AT is bigger.
                          And 3things that you can't see. Weight: AT>B&W. Soft rubbersurrounding:AT>B&W. Least resistance in cone movement:AT>B&W. Least cone flex:AT>B&W.
                          If you didn't know that it was a B&W driver, and you hade to take one just by looks.
                          I know that I woulden't go for the B&W.
                          But looks is not everything. The 705 still sounds great no matter how cheap I think the drivers looks. And it's pretty impressive to cross a 6,5" bas/midrange at 3700Hz with 12dB/octave filters.

"Goood LORD that AT has a HUGE top plate if that is a midrange."
                          It's a mid/bass driver, and it's probably that everything is bigger on it that makes it look much more robust and expenssive than the B&W.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

"Goood LORD that AT has a HUGE top plate if that is a midrange."
                            It's a mid/bass driver, and it's probably that everything is bigger on it that makes it look much more robust and expenssive than the B&W.
                            So isnt that like comparing apples to oranges?
                            B&W

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                              So isnt that like comparing apples to oranges?
                              That is what I thought...

Taking and example for car audio.

A Rockford Fosgate subwoofer looks much more expensive and beefy when compared to a lot of "no name" internet brands. But, the "no name" internet brands will blow it away.

You can't judge a driver by how it looks. I could take some paper weights and some really fancy metals and make a VERY sexy looking driver. But, would it sound awesome; probably not...

Also, I asked my GF (who knows nothing about audio, but is a Fine Art Painter) which one looks beefer and better.

She liked the B&W... :T
                              -Joe

Comment

• Bredin
                                • Aug 2007

Also, I asked my GF (who knows nothing about audio, but is a Fine Art Painter) which one looks beefer and better.

She liked the B&W... :T
                                Not fair! She is a women dammit!

But we are talking about looks, not sound.

Comment

• joetama
                                  • May 2006

Well true...

But, do we really care what it looks like???

I can how it sounds... :T
                                  -Joe

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

This is an interesting issue and most speaker manufactures these days realise that looks are important, particularly the outside (who opens up expensive speakers anyway-other than DIY folk with a thirst for knowledge). The drawback is that no two people agree on looks (just as well really).

I have a friend that is looking to buy a modest hifi. I suggested he try the B&W 685 and rega gear- he took one look at a photo of the Rega and said no, its ugly. As a consequence he may never hear the 685. He also hates the look of the top 3 800 series speakers (prefers a box).

He likes tube amps and simple boxes.
                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• yourtoys7
                                      • Feb 2006

If they don't look good I don't care what they sound like. The 802 looks so, so good and mostly on look I'll be getting them some day.
                                      Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                                      PSB T6,
                                      Velodyne SPL 1000R
                                      Rotel RSX-1057
                                      Rotel RB-1070
                                      OPPO 103
                                      Apple TV
                                      [

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                        He also hates the look of the top 3 800 series speakers (prefers a box).
                                        The new CMs are specifically targeted towards people like your friend. :W Actually, B&W engineering methodologies elicits the ole' adage that form follows function . There are very good reasons for building curvilinear cabinets, spherical midrange drivers and tube loaded tweeters. The design techniques minimize diffractions and resonance that smear and color the sound. So while your friend may not like the look of the top three, their outward appearance hints at their inward beauty.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Yeah, tried telling him that one. Not in the slightest bit interested. Of course he has never heard them properly, he just saw them in a showroom.

He likes this sort of flash design.

Name:	view3_sml.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	849684
                                          Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:52 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• joetama
                                            • May 2006

I understand that a speaker must look good. I love my 703 not only because they sound amazing (to my ears) but they look amazing.

IMO having a loudspeaker that looks and sounds great is like meeting a drop dead beautiful gal with the brains and a sweet loving personality. And the best part is she digs you odd obsession with amplifiers, CD Players, Speakers, and Music.

But, some people will put more importance on looks instead of personality. Just as some people will put more important on looks than sound. I personally think you need a good blend, otherwise you are just going to be chasing your tail while you hate the sound of a super sexy speaker...
                                            -Joe

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Hey you tried Britz can't ask for more than that.

I personally think you need a good blend...
                                              At this level of investment I couldn't agree more. A balance of appearance and performance is a must in my book. Just like a car show the models must look good and run good. :B
                                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• joetama
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                Hey you tried Britz can't ask for more than that.

At this level of investment I couldn't agree more. A balance of appearance and performance is a must in my book. Just like a car show the models must look good and run good. :B
                                                Oh indeed... There is nothing worse than a car that looks amazing that they cart in and out on a trailor because it doesn't run or they don't want to run it!
                                                -Joe

Comment

• Sounder
                                                  • Oct 2007

My humble movie room

I've been lurking long enough. Just had to show some photos! It's not a real dedicated theater, but it's a really comfortable room to watch a movie, and with this sound system, it truly rocks! B&W is the best! 9NTs, CNT, SNT, Boston Acoustics 12" subwoofer, Emotiva IPS1 150wpc amp and Emotiva MMC pre/pro.

So what do you guys think? By the way, the butt shot was accidental!
                                                  Steve

Name:	DSC01914_2.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	849686

Name:	DSC01915_2.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	849687

Name:	DSC01918_2.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	849688

Name:	DSC01920_2.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	849689
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:52 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jack667
                                                    • Jul 2007

interesting that you have your speakers up so high.. how do they sound?
                                                    B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• Sounder
                                                      • Oct 2007

Oh, yeah... I meant to say something about that. They are up on the stands to keep little one year old hands out of the drivers! I found my son pushing on them, and did this to prevent any problems. It turns out they sound fine like this, though. The tweeters are a little higher than ear level, but they are all at almost the same height, so it's nicely balanced, if not optimal. In another year or two, I'll probably put them back on the floor.

Comment

• RobP
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2004

Nice setup Steve, :T ..... and they say the room can be the toughest obstacle to overcome for great audio, I think its the tiny curious fingers of a child. :lol:
                                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• windmiller
                                                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Luke Skywalker

and 2.0:

All very simple :T
                                                          What type of base are you using on your 703's? Looks great!!
                                                          I just got a pair of 703's and have wood floors and so I am looking for something similar.

Comment

• djeff57
                                                            • Nov 2007

Hello Everyone!

I love this forum! Great setups! I am going to post some pics soon! I have just purchased a pair of 802D and I am looking forward to purchase the second one soon!

Comment

• Pato
                                                              • Dec 2006

Just arrived... Black Ash 802D. :beer2:

Name:	802D.JPG
Views:	1345
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	849708

Name:	802D_old.JPG
Views:	1490
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	849709
                                                              Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:53 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                              Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Pato
                                                                Just arrived... Black Ash 802D. :beer2:
                                                                :B :B :B Congrats! Love them in Black :B :B :B

What amp?

Comment

• Pato
                                                                  • Dec 2006

NAD S300... this "little" fellow here:

Lyngdorf CD1 - NAD S300 - B&W 802D

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by windmiller
                                                                    What type of base are you using on your 703's? Looks great!!
                                                                    I just got a pair of 703's and have wood floors and so I am looking for something similar.
                                                                    Hello, I use base of wood for protect floor and box.

Now my setup 2.0 it's thus.

click on image

"Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• mr_bnw
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2007

My setup

coming soon
                                                                      Last edited by mr_bnw; 18 December 2007, 06:16 Tuesday. Reason: coming soon....

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Stunning setup, Mr_bnw :T :T :T

Comment

• jack667
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

Incredible!!!! Love the blue lights - you can see I also am a fan

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                            • 317

Nice set up! great pics
                                                                            I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                                            Lou

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1199

Whats the Multiply TM on the photos?

Great looking setup (ok fabulous) but can't get excited about your movie collection. I'm a movie snob by the way. All that action stuff is ok and fun but it will always be available at Video Ezy (our no choice super bland video rental place - blockbusters is better for choice, relatively). My collection is more along the lines of

Das Boot, Metropolis, Run Lola Run

Three Colours Trilogy, Amelie

Withnail and I, Trainspotting

Dead Man, Mystery Train, Down by Law

Donnie Darko, Once Upon a time in Mexico, The eternal happiness of a spotless Mind
                                                                              Being John Malkovich

Vertigo, The Man Who Knew Too Much

Blues Brothers, The Blues Film Collection

Yeah, I guess I like quirky stuff. No Australian stuff - I must rectify that as we do the most quirky films. I will never have a big collection however as I will rarely revisit films more than once year, if that.

Comment

• jack667
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2007
                                                                                • 174

No australian stuff? what about CHOPPER?! hehe

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 1199

..............and Plan 9 from Outer Space opcorn:

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2007
                                                                                    • 52

wow

Very nice setup :E

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 2299

beautiful setup mr_bnw!

I have a couple questions...

How is the sub workin out for you in the corner like that? I've contemplated moving mine back in the corner, but I've always heard its better to have it out from the walls.

Also, with all that nice equipment, why only what looks like a denon receiver? plans for an ssp-800 when it comes out?

lastly, would you share your thoughts on the DS8S? What made you decide to go with those on the sides instead of SCMS? Have you compared the two? Do you use them as dipole or regular? or do you switch between the two with the 12v trigger?
                                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2007
                                                                                        • 52

mr bnw, which pre you are using?

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• mr_bnw
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2007
                                                                                          • 5

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                          beautiful setup mr_bnw!

I have a couple questions...

How is the sub workin out for you in the corner like that? I've contemplated moving mine back in the corner, but I've always heard its better to have it out from the walls.

The sub's position is the result of my dealer's acoustical measurement (using a very precise instrument that is). Because my room is bassy (if there is such a term), the sub has been place not against the wall (if you can see it's an acoustical panel) in order to minimize too much bass without compromising the richness of sound from the AS855.
                                                                                          Also, with all that nice equipment, why only what looks like a denon receiver? plans for an ssp-800 when it comes out?

Yes indeed. SSP-800 is really the original AV Processor of this setup. It just so happened that I have the new Denon 4308 (originally my family room's receiver) that i decided to use whilst waiting for the SSP-800 which i think is due for release early next year.

lastly, would you share your thoughts on the DS8S? What made you decide to go with those on the sides instead of SCMS? Have you compared the two? Do you use them as dipole or regular? or do you switch between the two with the 12v trigger?
                                                                                          man the DS8S is one helluva surround speaker. Again, based on scientific measurements the polarity and setup of the DS8S should be dipole (on my room). I don't actually switch coz there's no need. In my experience with Dolby TrueHD movies, the sound is clearer and the movement from left to right and vice versa is accurate.

Comment

• mr_bnw
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2007
                                                                                            • 5

Originally posted by Luke Skywalker
                                                                                            mr bnw, which pre you are using?
                                                                                            Mr. Skywalker, the original intended pre is the SSP-800 but since it's still unavailable, i setup the classe system on the Denon 4308's preout section.

One thing i can say, the Denon 4308's new audio decoders are by far one of the best sounding receiver i have tested (tops the new onkyos)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"