This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlr_1304
    • Aug 2005

Jim777 : how does the MAC sacd player sounds ? i also have MAC amps to go with my B&W. Do you run it directly to the amp ?

The MAC is only a 2 ch player is i'm not mistaken ?

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jlr_1304
      Jim777 : how does the MAC sacd player sounds ? i also have MAC amps to go with my B&W. Do you run it directly to the amp ?

The MAC is only a 2 ch player is i'm not mistaken ?
      The MCD201 is 2ch SACD/CD only and the MVP861 is the mac 5.1 universal (DVDA/SACD) player.

I don't run it direct to the amp because I have an integrated amp and I also listen to dvd and tv with my setup. I also use the headphone output with my Senn 650's and it is the best sound I've ever heard with these phones. Runner-ups are Rega's EAR (that I use at work) and Benchmark DAC1 (that I heard a few time) that are great for the money, but the 201 gets 1st place. However my dealer tried the 201 direct into the big MC402 with N802's and he almost wanted to say that it was better than through the tube C2200. The 201's pre is not an after-thought useless feature, it really sounds great.

Both the 201's RB & SACD performance are the best I've heard from mac or any other brand. It has this "vinyl" or musical sound to it, and effortless detail and low-frequency extension. BTW the MVP851 doesn't play SACD but some might prefer it to the MVP861 on RB.

Honestly, with my setup and the high performance on RB, I hear little gain with SACD compared to well mastered CD's. More dynamic range and a bit more 3D sound is what I hear but IMO it is not worth buying a SACD if you already have the RB version. The 201 really pushes RB to the max.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I just realized I had only posted pics of my Rotel equipment over in the Rotel Forum, so go there for the closer pictures of the Rotel stuff.

Don't mind the complete mess, right now (almost) all of it is set up in a bed room until I can slowly complete the HT room. I'm working on it by myself, so it's going to take some time. Labor of love I think. lol

Speakers are (of course) B&W DM604s S3s L/R Main, LCR600 S3 Center, DM602 S3s LS/LSB/RS/RSB and an SVS PC+ 20-39.

The last two pictures, the 602s are upside down because they are on shelves that are slightly above the sitting leve, so it brought the highs closer to the ears. In the last picture you can see the wall plaques I have waiting to go on the wall sitting on top of the speaker (SVS, B&W - Custom made waiting for it to arrive, Dolby Digital, and DTS).

Due to space limitation in this room, I don't have the Surround Backs hooked up. This actually worked well though, my friend fried his Onkyo amp and speakers (amp blew, took out his DM603s). So I let him borrow my 602s and my Rotel RB-1080 along with my old Yamaha Receiver, until he gets it all fixed.

Eventually once everything gets more into place and I find a large bag of money I want to replace the 604s with the 802Ds and LCR600 with the HTM2D (the 1D is just too big I think). Along with that, I'll be replacing the Rotel RMB-1095 & 1080 with Classe CA-M400s (2) for the 802Ds and CA-5200 for the rest. Course then I'll replace the RSP-1098 as well. This is a big endevour for me and I might either save up or just take out a loan to get them sooner. Haven't decided which way to go.

So it's my "meager" system I have to live with until I can get what I really want! :T
        Attached Files
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Hey Pewter! Another Alias fan

Your space looks pretty much "optimized", I hope you get your HT room soon!

I'm sure that setup sounds great anyway, and have fun!!

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Wow Pewter, that is crowded! LOL Great gear though. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Can't go wrong with Jennifer Garner... WOW!

Yes it is very crowded and I can't WAIT to get the room finished, but I won't sacrifice quality for speed.

Funny thing is, it sounds absolutely amazing in this little setup... I guess with the fact that everything is so close and with no need to crank it up, it just blends perfectly together....?!!? My luck I'll finish the theater and can't stand the sound. ha ha.

Course hopefully then I can start getting what I really want!
              -Dan

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

My 801 S3 setup

Here are some pics, hope you can see them. They look like R2D2, but they still sound great. Sound Anchors on subs and mains and center. Acoustically, the room isn't great, but I make due with what I can. Hopefully next year, the upgrade speaker bug will make an appearance. Until then, they still get up and shake pretty good !!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Fife
                  • Apr 2004

Gross30, nice Matrix!

Comment

• gross30
                    • Jun 2005

Thanks Fife, I really enjoy them. They sure let you know about good and bad recordings. They are getting up there in age but when the time comes to upgrade, I will probably keep these ones for a rec room setup.

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

Quick pics

Here are a few pics of my 800Ds settling in.

Room looks a mess, but I have beel playing all my favourite stuff to get the sound overdose I need.

I'll post some better ones shortly.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Caleb...

;x(
                        -Dan

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Not only do I see 800s up front and 802s on the side, im pretty sure I see 802s in the rear also!!!

Now you just need a HTM1D :twisted:

Very badass. ;x(
                          B&W

Comment

• Boone38
                            • Dec 2004

Is the sub really needed with all the low end drivers? Looks great. Could not tell which amps you are using. I am ;x( in AWE !!!!!!!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

A sub is ALWAYS needed
                              B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Very nice Caleb! How far apart (center to center) would you say the 800Ds are?
                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• gross30
                                  • Jun 2005

Caleb, That is just a beautiful setup you have. The sound must be breathtaking !!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

I'd guess he's got about 6' to 7' inbetween the 800s (8' max).
                                    -Dan

Comment

• caleb
                                      • Aug 2004

Distance

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                      Very nice Caleb! How far apart (center to center) would you say the 800Ds are?
                                      Hi rebelman, I just measured ths distance, and they are 1.8 metres away from the side walls, 2 metres away from the back walls, and 2.2 metres apart from each other.

Comment

• caleb
                                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                        Not only do I see 800s up front and 802s on the side, im pretty sure I see 802s in the rear also!!!

Now you just need a HTM1D :twisted:

Very badass. ;x(
                                        Thanks for your comments.

You are spot on with that RCD, but the HTM1D???

JUst a bit big for my room I am afraid.

I must say that the HTM2D gives a very good account of itself though.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Totally fab setup, Caleb. :T

Now look what you've done ... my keyboard is covered in drool

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

caleb, thanks for the dims. BTW, do you mind taking another snap shot of your 800Ds with the bass driver grill covers removed, like you did with your 802s? I think B&W's look their best when they are naked! LOL
                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Caleb
                                              Yeah it must sound mind bogglingly great, looks a million dollars and you would seem to have a proper home theatre ie. projection (ever since I was a young kid in the 70s I wanted a movie projector, never would have guessed then that so many of us would be enjoying reflected images in our own lounge rooms). BUT....after checking the system info on your profile which also lists your hobbies, I think you will have to introduce a low farting frequency policy before I would be prepared to watch a movie at your place. h:
                                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• caleb
                                                • Aug 2004

Hi all, and do appreciate all the good comments.

I'll tidy the room up a bit before I tale some more pics - and the grills will be off by then.

Comment

• mel221
                                                  • Mar 2005

B&W Home Theater 3.0 Done at Last!!!

I promised my wife that it was done!

N802
                                                  HTM1
                                                  SCM1
                                                  Velodyne DD-15
                                                  B&K Ref 50 S2
                                                  Krell 3250
                                                  Krell showcase 5
                                                  Sony SXRD - 60
                                                  Toshiba HD-DVD
                                                  Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
                                                  Harmony 880 remote

Mike
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  Last edited by mel221; 26 July 2006, 10:21 Wednesday.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mel221
                                                    I promised my wife that it was done!
                                                    Yeah right! Ha ha ha. However, I could definitely stop with your setup. Wow, I love that setup. And you just gave me an idea on my surrounds that I'm looking for. I didn't know you can hang the SCMs upside-down. Did you use the regular holes in the speaker to hold them up?
                                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• AptosJeff
                                                      • Jul 2006

New 804 owner

Here's my main 2ch system. 804S + Aragon Palladiums. Sounds almost as good on Beethoven piano as my son playing the real thing.
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• mel221
                                                        • Mar 2005

audioqueso

The SCM1s were installed by my dealer and the Omnimount bracket is mounted directly to the speaker with 5/16 wood screws. The existing mounting holes were not used as they are just inserts pressed into the wood and will eventually work loose.

The SCM1s have been hanging for 4 years with no problems at all. The 705s went up last week.

Comment

• corbelli
                                                          • Jul 2006

my setup

Hello , I´m spanish (Europe) and my english isn´t very good. Excuse my painfull english.

"An image is better than a thousand of words"...

Michell Orbe SE/SME V/Shelter 501/II
                                                          Sony XA 50 ES
                                                          Sony TA-80 ES
                                                          4 units: B&W matrix 801 S3/Arcici sand filled stands
                                                          4 units: Alesis studio reference RA500 (bridged mono 500 W/ch)
                                                          Deutschland Balanced Studio cables for signal (Klotz)
                                                          4 square milimeters Klotz profesional cables for speakers.
                                                          Dedicated acustical room (grounded in earth) and independient net power lines, (still without finishing)

I´m looking for a B&W Matrix 805/H in walnut colour or a pair of Matrix 802 S3 walnut with arcici stands.... Have you one/two unit/s for me?, :roll:

Regards...
                                                          Last edited by corbelli; 25 July 2006, 05:06 Tuesday.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

corbelli, thats the problem with building a hifi, you end up spending too much time listening to the gear and not enough time finishing the room.

Mel 221, how does the HD-DVD sound through your setup. Everyone raves about the pictures, does it have a similar audio impact to 96/24 DTS, SACD or DVD-audio through your system?
                                                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• mel221
                                                              • Mar 2005

The HD-DVD PQ is excellent, especially on the Sony SXRD. The sound is excellent as well, but I have only limited experience with the new player so far (had it 2 weeks).

I cannot compare with SACD and DVD-Audio as this is not where I listen to music. That would be my 2 channel system built around my computer.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                                corbelli, thats the problem with building a hifi, you end up spending too much time listening to the gear and not enough time finishing the room.
                                                                ISNT THAT THE TRUTH
                                                                (coming from a guy who had an unfinished bathroom for over two months now. :lol: )

I suppose if I wasnt single, that wouldnt fly and it would have been finished 7 weeks ago. :rofl:
                                                                B&W

Comment

• corbelli
                                                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                  ISNT THAT THE TRUTH
                                                                  (coming from a guy who had an unfinished bathroom for over two months now. :lol: )

I suppose if I wasnt single, that wouldnt fly and it would have been finished 7 weeks ago. :rofl:

The last is true...The WAF (Woman Audio/Acceptance Factor)
                                                                  Ja,ja,ja... :lol: :lol: ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• marano
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by mel221
                                                                    The HD-DVD PQ is excellent, especially on the Sony SXRD. The sound is excellent as well, but I have only limited experience with the new player so far (had it 2 weeks).

I cannot compare with SACD and DVD-Audio as this is not where I listen to music. That would be my 2 channel system built around my computer.
                                                                    Make sure you use the analog outputs if your want to hear Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2006

BW XT system setup

Ta Da!

The Carver M 1.O (bought in 1987) is my zone 2 amp which powers my upstairs in-wall system (7 Jamo speakers). Surprisingly, the Jamo's don't sound half bad for a builder installed system. The speaker in the bathroom is actually a single enclosure stereo speaker. Maybe someday I'll swap them for in wall BW's but I don't use them much anyway.
                                                                      Also note how tiny PV1's look in the room and their location, that explains the need for 2.
                                                                      I'm using the Xbox 360 as a dvd player utilizing its optical output. The sound (using digital out) and video quality (using component video) are amazingly good.
                                                                      CD Rotel 1055
                                                                      Pre/Pro Rotel 1068
                                                                      Amp Rotel 1095 (AKA the black monster)
                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2006

delete

Comment

• RH Customs
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • May 2006

Are you running two PV1's? If so that has to be insane, Very nice elegant set up.

RH
                                                                          "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
                                                                          :-y

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                            • 657

Originally posted by RH Customs
                                                                            Are you running two PV1's? If so that has to be insane, Very nice elegant set up.

RH
                                                                            I like it loud, one PV1 just didn't cut it.
                                                                            :^x

Comment

• RH Customs
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 99

Man that is awesome, I only have a 13x10ft bedroom, and my ASW 300 shakes my room.

RH

RH

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2006
                                                                                • 657

Originally posted by RH Customs
                                                                                Man that is awesome, I only have a 13x10ft bedroom, and my ASW 300 shakes my room.

RH
                                                                                Sometimes I like to shake "DA HOUSE". :B

Comment

• RH Customs
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 99

Same here, and I'm not sure about you but the B&W subs are the best in my opinion.

RH

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 1098

Beautiful setup, WI Rotel. Unobtrusive, fits in well with your decor and sounds awesome too. :T

Comment

• SubSonic
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2006
                                                                                      • 24

WI ROTEL OMG U HAVE MY DREAM B&W speakers!-the XT4 right? oOOOooo they look Absolutely Fabulous!
                                                                                      EDIT: and oh is that the orb sub? how does it sound?

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2003
                                                                                        • 899

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                                                                        The Carver M 1.O (bought in 1987) is my zone 2 amp which powers my upstairs in-wall system (7 Jamo speakers).
                                                                                        Love that Carver amp...I have the matching CD player (DTL-200), but it's in a box in my basement at the moment.
                                                                                        Attached Files
                                                                                        Brad

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2006
                                                                                          • 657

Originally posted by SubSonic
                                                                                          WI ROTEL OMG U HAVE MY DREAM B&W speakers!-the XT4 right? oOOOooo they look Absolutely Fabulous!
                                                                                          EDIT: and oh is that the orb sub? how does it sound?
                                                                                          I switched the AM 15 you showed there for the PV1'S. The sound is absolutely fabulous. They are completely sonically transparent. My daughter is "inheriting" AM 15 for her apartment. The bose system is fine for movies but its audio fidelity is pretty bad.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                                            • 657

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                                                                            Beautiful setup, WI Rotel. Unobtrusive, fits in well with your decor and sounds awesome too. :T
                                                                                            Thanks!
                                                                                            I'm very satisfied with the result. There was no way I could get around the TV "hump" in the room, thus the XT's. The TV is actually not that deep, the ensemble was designed to hide a structural member that sits behind it. With the speakers lying that close to the rear wall the flowport bungs were essential. I have also set the XT4's to small rather than large in the processor since I noticed while using a refference CD (Dr. Chesky's DVD) that the XT4 can suffer from distortion, if fed loud 20HZ tones. Keeping everything under 50 in the subs prevents this overdriving of the XT's woofers (which are rated only to 40Hz). :W

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"