• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Upgrade advice for B&W 800 series HT

Hallo,
    I have s set with Rotel Rsp1068, RB1092 for front, RB1091 center and another RB1092 for rear.
    speaker: 803s - htm3s - 805s rear.

upgrade with 803d - htm3s or htm2s - 805s or go with 802d?

I wait the new pre/pro from Classè (for posible combo with CA3200/2200 and rear a Rotel RB1092) or for the new DDplus, DTS MasterAudio the new Denon or better the Anthem D2.

What do you think's?
    Please reply.
    Greetings from Switzerland Omar
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

The new pre/pro SSP800 is on the way. Will cost around USD8K.

You should listen to 803D / 802D to decide what it is the best for money. The 802D cost 50% more than the 803D´s

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

I've never really listened to the 803D and 802D side by side but either way it would be a hard call.
      -Joe

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

If your coming from an 803S, I would only look at the 802D to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

upgrade

Hi thank's for reply.

@scanido: a great upgrade is with the 802d this was my fist thinking..but I think too that the 803D are sure a good choice.

@Pedro: I go pay the 802d not the douple from 803D, sure more but not so mutch. I have ca. $ 10000 for the 803d and $. 15000 fo the 802d.
          money a part is the location that say my 803D. 802d too big.

The new SSP800 will be very amazing!, only don't can decoding the new sound format...

You are pro 802d (for the life!?) or go to 803d?
          Is not easy.
          Omar

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

No comparaison 802D if your room is larger, make sure you give them enough clean power.

The 803D work very well in a 12x12x9
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi wettou,

My room is (in meter) 9,5 long x 5,5 b. but I utilise only 6 x 5.5 for my system
              the rest is for extra lunch-room.

For me the set with 803D is very good...but the clean sound is too very important: 803D with next future new power-ampli in place 802D with Rotel?!
              Or?

Omar

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

style,

If home theater is your priority then i say the 803D+HTM2D would be a better combo, otherwise I would get the 802D and HTM2D and run the rotel you have now if you listen to stereo primarily. You can then upgrade the electronics later on.

For HT purposes the front speakers should be as close as possible in sonic signature.

Comment

• Pedro
                  • Jan 2006

Style,

If the total square is 52m² then go with 802D without doubt using in stereo.

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

upgrade

Hi,

I think to go with the 803D.
                    at this moment I drive all with a rotel rsp1068 and Rb1092 for front, Rb1091 center and another Rb1092 for rear.

(bluray sony s500 PS3 - toshiba hd ex1 24frame and Denon3930 dvd normal)

I wait the new pre/pro for HD/bluray...--> top solution= a Denon avpA1HD or better Anthem D2 and a Classè SSP 800... or too make a Classè 2channel with Classé CP500 and CA3200 (3x200 wat. front and center.. to go in homecinema system...)
                    Is a good solution or?
                    Omar

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Great choice, especially if your more into HT since the HTM2D will be a better match to the 803D!

Please give us feedback how you feel it compares to the 803S...

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Omar

You room is large enough to use the 802D. They need more power than 803D minimum 200W per channel, better with 400W. If you live in Switzerland I would definitely check the Electrocompaniet amps with the Nautilus. The first time I audition the 802 was with the Electrocompaniet Nemo and I was in heaven if there is such a thing.
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

The other thing I forgot was that if you are doing a true Home Cinema make sure you use the same three front either 802D or 803D.

It makes a huge improvement especially with blu ray DD tru HD or DTS Master HD

Comment

• Pedro
                            • Jan 2006

Agree with wettou!

Comment

• dmccombs
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                              The other thing I forgot was that if you are doing a true Home Cinema make sure you use the same three front either 802D or 803D.

It makes a huge improvement especially with blu ray DD tru HD or DTS Master HD
                              That's a great suggestion for HT... unless he doesn't have a Front Projection screen (90-95% chance), or if he doesn't mind a big speaker blocking his view of the movies (100% chance). :rofl:

Originally posted by scanido
                              style,

If home theater is your priority then i say the 803D+HTM2D would be a better combo, otherwise I would get the 802D and HTM2D and run the rotel you have now if you listen to stereo primarily. You can then upgrade the electronics later on.

For HT purposes the front speakers should be as close as possible in sonic signature.
                              Scandios suggestion is more practical given the OPs display.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"