X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

Want more bass with N804

Current setup is AVR300 (110w) going into a pair of N804. Budget is about 2-3k. Would I get better bass with a velyo DD10 (1000w I think, which seems overkill), or by getting a more power amp. If going down the poweramp route, how much power can the N804s really handle--i know it says 200w on the manual. I am also looking into the new digital amps like NuForce Ref 9 and PS Audio GCA-250. The room is 13x16. I care mostly about tight bass in music and not so much in movies. If getting a sub, I do want room eq, as the Arcam doesn't have calibration and I don't want to fuss for weeks tweaking and always wondering if I am doing something wrong. Also I listen music in the 60-75db range and go up to 85db for movies.
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

akhter:

I just bought some 804S and was thinkng the same thing. I will probably add a Velodyne DD-12 in the very near future. From the looks of your system you will be using it for both ht and stereo so I would go for the DD-12. I like the fact the the Velodyne's have eq settings and a lot of adjustment.

Comment

• sprakash
      • Jan 2005

I've had the 804s for 6 months now, with a DD-12 for 3 months (SVS 26-41pc+ before that) and I love it. 10% music, 90% movies. Bryston 9BST - 5x125w.
      As tboooe said, the DD-12 would add a lot for both music and movies, especially with its simple eq. - its wonderful.
      I would add the sub first and then look for a stereo/3-channel amp for the fronts.
      Cheers,
      SP

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

My B&W dealer recommended Rel, even though he doesn't carry Rel subs. I have a two-channel system of N804s and Rel Storm III, a fantastic combination. Rel owns the market on low-bass, at least for two-channel needs.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
          • Mar 2005

Running a Velo HGS-12II with my N804s. I had the N804s passively biamped with 2 Carver TFM-25s putting out 225W/ch and now with a Bryston 6B-ST (300W/ch.) The HGS-12II provided the biggest gain in bass performance. My system is dual purpose where I have an emphasis on both HT and music; more so music. The HGS-12II is dedicated to the N804 mains. I have another HGS-15II I'm using for the LFE. Been thinking about upgrading the HGS-12II with a DD-12 or a DD-15.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

I just added a ASW800 to my N804 to add more bass. I got 35% off of the ASW800 since it was a discontinued model (paid $1400). I had looked at many subs prior to this purchase. If not for teh healthy discount I probably would have gotten a Martin Logan Depth sub. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

akhter, you might want to try a different brand of speaker cable.I ran Kimber 8TC/Hero on my system for years and was quite surprized by the improvement in bass output,midrange clarity and detail in the high's when I switched to Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cable and Music Link Super interconnects.Hopefully you have a local dealer that will let you try out some other brands of cable. :T

Comment

• Movieman
                • Sep 2005

I agree with Mark_c, I have the 804's and a Rel Strata5. Its sound fantastic, the Rel has 4 presets so you can set 1. for music, 2. Movies, 3. SACD, ect.
                I don't have any experience with the velyo subs, but I have always had Rel sub's and find the to be great all rounders.

Movieman

Comment

• nfjason
                  • Aug 2005

I have 804 at home with Rel sub. You should check out NuForce Reference 9. Perhaps you should get the premium package with bass to down to 15hz and at 20hz, it has -0.25 db attenuation comparing to 100hz, which is damn impressive. Offcourse this is my biased opinion coming from NuForce.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"