X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luszer
    • Feb 2003

So is my Sig 805 upgrade a bad idea?

After review of the press release, appears the 805S will incorporate many of the upgrades found in the Sig 805 for $1000 less?

Or is the only improvement with the release of the 805s, the curve cabinet being formed from a single piece of ply vs. the seam on the back of the old 805?

Also, will the SigHTM still be available after the Jan release. I need to plan according as I do not want to get caught up in unavailablity

PS I am upgrading from 805s to Sig805, with the Sig HTM shortly after that. Or will the regular HTM1 mate fine with Sig805s?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Ron
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Luszer,

Personally I'd wait for the 805S and the HTM4S - cheaper and better than the signature other than the fantastic wood finishes of the signature series...

My understanding is that as of 15 January 2005 the new Nautilus range will take over the old Nautilus range so you would be reliant on dealer stock and then the second hand market after that.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the Signature HTM has the FST driver and is more intended to be used with the 804 or larger speakers. There is a real risk that it would overwhelm your 805s sound stage....

Bottom line - you would save a lot of money by ordering the new range now and taking delivery in January...

If you already have the Signature 805s on order (and can't / don't want to cancel) then you could buy the HTM4S as a good sonic match for them (though the finish will be different unless you have black)

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I second what Geoff said! wait for the new series. They are improved signatures without the piano like exteriors.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• luszer
        • Feb 2003

Thanks Geoff. So in your opinion the new 805s will incorporate all the advances made in the Sig 805, larger magnet, bracing, tweeter enhancement?

If so, the remaining difference would only be the slick piano finish?
        Also, appears that the HMT4S is a perfect match for the new 805s, Sig 805s, or even the current 805.

I might be able to get a price break on the Sig 805s, so it remains an interesting proposal. Then, order the HTM4 and realize that savings over the Sig HTM. Used the savings on a new 800 sub or grab the ASW800.

Regards, Ron

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Luszer,

So in your opinion the new 805s will incorporate all the advances made in the Sig 805, larger magnet, bracing, tweeter enhancement?
          Not just in my opinion - have a look at the press release linked to HERE and read it. For example:
          The 805S builds on the huge success of the Signature 805, offering greatly improved performance from the same cabinet design. It is a 2-way system comprising 1x 165mm (6.5 in) Kevlar bass/midrange driver and 1x 25mm (1 in) alloy dome tweeter, and a matching speaker stand is available.
          I hope this helps!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"