X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • natelam
    • Oct 2004

Question about Used B&W's

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to B&W but I know of their quality and want a part of the action!

Here's my question: I have the opportunity to pick up 5.1 set of the following:

Year 1997:
    2x 602 S1
    2x 601 S1 w/ Stands
    CC6 Center Channel
    AS6 Subwoofer

I've been offered to buy the package in excellent condition for $800. Here's my dilemma.

1) Is it worth it? Retail for the package in 1997 was somewhere around $1500. What would you pay for them 8 years later?
    2) How do the S1's compare to the S2 or S3? I know that they lack the new Nautilus tweeters, but they still have Kevlar cones.
    3) Heard the AS6 was B&W's big mistake...why?

Finally, from those of you who have owned this setup (or parts of it) in the past...

Will I be happy with it? I'm a 21 year old student/audiophile who just wants pure sound on a limited budget. I'll most likely be matching these speakers with an A/V reciever like a Denon 1804, H/K 230 or Marantz SR4500 for all around use (movies and music and occasional live music). I don't care that they don't have looks or the latest features, I just want to know, for the price, am I going to be satisfied? Your opinions and input is greatly appreciated.

-Nate
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

I think you should either wait around for a some S3 used or save up and get the S3 brand new from a authorized dealer. I was on a budget also, and I wanted them brand new so I basically got them one at a time. Sure you won't be able to enjoy full 5.1 right away, but you get to watch your system grow and you get to have a better quality setup. I picked up the receiver first, got a pair of 601s, then the LCR600, the SVS PCi20-39 and about to pick up the 600s tomorrow. I bought the 601s back in July, I know it's 3 months ago, but it's because I just moved into a new place with the deposit and first month's rent, my system got a little delay. I would of had the whole setup in 2 months if it wasn't for the newer apartment.
    Overall, I'm very happy with the system for movies, but I think the 600s are still aren't exactly audiophile music speakers. My dealer lets me trade them in for upgrades, so I'll save up for the 800s bookshelves upgrade in June.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me, speakers that are 8 years old for that kinda money is just not something I'd go for. good luck.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"