X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spookyslow
    • Oct 2004

Need Help Choosing a Sub for 600's

Hey folks, I need a hand picking out a sub to go along with my 604's up front, 602's in the rear and LCR6 center. My room is about 4000 cubed feet, and I use it primarily (70%) for HT.
    My wife is not opposed to big sound, but has an issue with a monster sized sub.

Any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated.
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

did you show her the SVS subs yet? They're not availible in the stores and are internet direct only. I just received my SVS PCi20-39 today and it's amazing for $600. Your room is bigger than my so I'd go for one of their bigger subs. My room is only about 2900 cubic feet and the 20-39 is more than enough. SVS are well known on internet forums for their impact in movies. What's your budget like? If I were in your shoes and have room that size I'd go for either their PC+ series for cylinders or PB12/2 for boxed designs. The PB12/2 is their lower end twin 12 inch and they have a "+" version of that which can sound even cleaner. Find out more at www.svsubwoofers.com
    Good luck.

Comment

• Spookyslow
      • Oct 2004

Blazemaster, everything I've read about the SV subs screams that I should get one. Did you look at their cubes and how did you decide on a cylinder? I was looking at the PB12-ISD2 and plus2, I'm just a little concerned that the plus2 is overkill.
      Did you audition anything from Sunfire or the Velodyne? The guys at my local HT shop like the Velodyne DD's and DSP with B&W.

Any incite out there?

Thanks

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

well there were a couple of deciding factors for me to go to the cylinders. One was the weight issue, I move about 3 times within the past 2-3 years and I have a 130+ lb RPTV and soon to be replaced with a FP or something lighter. Moving anything 100+lbs up and down couple flights of stairs is not fun for someone my size.
        Another issue for that, I saw the cylinders as a better bang for the money. The cylinders with the same specs as the boxed ones run about $50 to $70 cheaper. The cylinder ones also only cost about $50 to ship where the box will go for about $100. Not saying that the boxed ones don't have any advantages, but just that the pros of the cylinder was more important to me. Oh yea, the heaviest cylinders are only 70 lbs max vs the box are all about 100 lbs +.
        Honestly, I didn't really demo any other brands' subs. And I'm kinda glad I didn't, because the PCi20-39 has all the bass I'll ever need and I'm not even anywhere near pushing it to the limits yet. Since I only had it for one day, with more experiments and proper calibration, I'm sure it can be even better. Velodyne do make popular subs too though, so I've heard. If you can afford them, at least go for a listen. You can see if you can find a dealer that'll let you bring them home for a demo, order the SVS of your choice with similar specs and compare them both together in the same setting. That's probably the best way to find out which you like better.

Comment

• mds
          • Sep 2004

I run a Velodyne HGS-10 (similar to the DD-10) with all B&W speakers. The combination is spectacular. I listened to a lot of subs when I was shopping (and even more since) and IMO this is by far the best. They're expensive, but if you can find one used, jump on it.

Comment

• Lewing
            • Oct 2004

I added a black gloss Velodyne DD-10 to join my B&W 600 series3 system not long ago. The sub already sounded very good straight out of the box and it blend in wonderfully with the sound of my speakers, very musical IMO. The DD-10 not only able to produce some serious bass despite its small size, it looks very elegant too.
            Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

yea...that's the only thing I have against the cylinders version of the SVS, it's not exactly the most elegant looking sub I've seen. You can pick up one of the biggest SVS boxed subs for the price of Velodynes. The bigger SVS boxes comes with different finishes that looks better than the regular black box.

Comment

• bitjunkie
                • Dec 2003

Dr HSU is the man look st his subs you 'll be impressed
                Be who you are And true friendship and love, will be just that. True.

Comment

• Spookyslow
                  • Oct 2004

I 'settled' on a Sunfire Signature. I like the sound, my wife likes the size. It should arrive in a few days--providing me hours of deep bass and marital bliss.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

great Spooky, not so familar with Sunfire's subs. How much was that one that you "settled" for? Either way, glad you found something and time to enjoy it..

Comment

• Spookyslow
                      • Oct 2004

If you aren't familiar with Sunfire, you should definitely check them out. I think you'll be real impressed with the clarity/depth of bass out of such a small box.

Sunfire's biggest sub is a 13" cube. They use a combination of an active and passive driver with varying size of amps (depending on the model). IMHO, they're one of the most incredible peices of HT technology around, I just coudn't afford one until now.

The Sunfire fomula is simple:

incredible performance+modest size= domestic tranquility.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"