X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Radio Segment (NPR) On Digital TV Broadcasts

I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) on my commute in. This morning, they had an article on today being the day that all TV stations are to start sending out digital signals. Obviously, we aren't there yet and that was part of the focus of the segment.

They talked with what they called an early adopter who had an HT room in his basement, and the fact he had a room for theater/TV seemed to slightly shock the journalist. That portion of the segment was pointing out that even though this person had spent a considerable amount of money to enjoy HDTV, there was very little programming to watch at this time, even though every station in the country is now supposed to sending out a digital signal. The journalist did go as far as to point out that many of the stations broadcasting digital are stepping down the signal (reducing quality) and are complying with the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law.

Two industry representatives were also interviewed, one from the Washington, DC area who's main point was that out of about 2 million homes in that area, less than 1,500 were set up to receive HD broadcasts. Where did he get that number? A second rep from Washington state said that there is no "added value" for him in the digital market, HD or not. Added value? This is a federal law! That comment really ticked me off. The broadcast industry isn't even trying to hide the fact that they aren't complying because it hurts their profit margin. Bastards.

Anyway, the segment ended with the early adopter showing the interviewer a portion of U-571 (the depth-charge scene) to show off his 5.1 surround system with tactile transducers on the chairs. You could hear the soundtrack quite well in the background with the interviewers voice-over above it.

If you are interested in hearing it, NPR repeats these segments 3-4 times a day. A couple of times in the mornings and a couple on their afternoon/evening drivetime show.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Great info David!

It is scary how some can get away with not following the law. I just never thought that it would hit rock bottom like this. Truly sad, that you can go on national radio and state: To hell with it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ahhh, so this was "D Day", as in Digital Day. It seems that the consumer is the one being shelled this time. This doesn't surprise me at all. But tell me, doesn't that leave these stations vulnerable if another broadcasting company aggeed to follow the letter of the law?

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You'd certainly think so! Hmmm, wasn't it just a couple of days ago that I posted a "How can they do that?" about the Canadian govt. Now I'm posting a "How can they do that?" about corporations flaunting the American govt. Sheesh.
        :roll:

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

In case you've missed the radio broadcast, or (even worse) don't have an NPR station in your area, here is a link to the program segment on their web site (requires Real Player):

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"