• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DVD players interfer with military

DVD owners get visit from feds over static

By DAN PALMER, EDMONTON SUN

Federal authorities say they suspect some DVD players may be causing havoc for emergency radios on military aircraft.

Ron Houston recently got a visit from Mounties and representatives of Industry Canada, which regulates radio communication, at his home in Cold Lake, 290 km northeast of Edmonton.

"(Industry Canada) said they were picking up higher than normal radio frequencies from (my) house," Houston said yesterday.

After some testing, Houston said Industry Canada focused on his 16-year-old daughter's DVD player.

"He said it was the same frequency that was causing interference on the jets (from Cold Lake)," Houston said.

"He said, 'We'll let Ottawa know.' "

Gord Wychopen, a friend of Houston's in Cold Lake, said he got a similar visit from Industry Canada.

"They seemed to focus on a DVD player we had," said Wychopen. "All he said is it could be the DVD player emitting the signals."

Capt. Richard Langlois, a 4 Wing Cold Lake spokesman, said the military called Industry Canada in to look into what's been causing interference on their aircraft emergency radios, known as emergency locator transmitters or ELTs.

The ELTs send a beacon signal if the plane crashes. They can also be used for emergency voice communications.

Industry Canada has said it suspects pirated cards in black-market satellite TV receivers have been causing the static.

On at least one occasion, the interfering signals have also led search and rescue personnel in Canada to falsely believe an aircraft has crashed, federal officials have said.

Rae Bradford, an Edmonton-based Industry Canada spokesman, said she's aware of at least one case in Cold Lake where a DVD player "appeared" to be causing the interference.

"We're still looking into that," said Bradford. "I don't think we've drawn any conclusions."

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The truth is out there
    Fox Mulder......

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oh, now that's weird. 8O

You sillly Edmonters - anything for some fun, eh? :yesnod:

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Very strange. The two emergency frequencies for aviation are 121.5 on VHF, and 243.0 on UHF. Military would primarily use 243.0. I'm not quite sure how DVD players could broadcast static on that frequency, though.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Mats
          Special Member
          • Jun 2000

Didn't know Canada had a military...... lol.
          Mats
          Mats Strömberg
          Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
          Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yeah and we kicked your ass the last time you tried to invade us :twisted:
            Of course times were a little different back then :LOL:

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Pr@
              Yeah and we kicked your ass the last time you tried to invade us :twisted:

Now wait one minute! When did Texas EVER try to invade Canada? Oh, you mean them Northerners - well, never mind. We never did concern ourselves too much over a bunch o' Yankees and their silliness.
              :rofl:

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Nobody messes with Texas

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Damn right! We may secede yet.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

The south didn't want the frozen tundra we call the great lakes. Why would we want Canada? Invade it hell, we'd run the other direction to the south. lol. Now, if Florida wasn't ours, we would have to take it. 8)

Well, that is strange on the radio frequencies. But I expect this will be occuring more and more in the information age.

Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Claude D D
                      • Jan 2003

You sillly Edmonters - anything for some fun, eh?
                      Hey I resemble that remark!!And by the way it's "Edmontonion"you silly A-mer-ican.

Comment

• russellmcormond
                        • May 2004

Any more recent news?

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                        DVD owners get visit from feds over static

By DAN PALMER, EDMONTON SUN

Federal authorities say they suspect some DVD players may be causing havoc for emergency radios on military aircraft.
                        I am wondering if there has been any recent information on this. This issue has been used by Industry Canada to help justify bill C-2 which appears to be an act to protect the Bell and StarChoice monopolies in Canada.

Information in our forum on Bill C-2

I have been asked to speak on Tuesday to the Industry, Science and Technology Committee of parliament so any information people may have would be greatly appreciated. I found this forum by doing a search for the name "Ron Houston" which appeared in a few newspaper articles. If anyone has contact information for Ron that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Russell, the only input I can give is from my personal experience. I'm an audio and video afficienado/videophile/freak/whatever. I've also been a military pilot for 6+ years, flying around the world. While we frequently use common VHF frequencies for radio communication, same as commercial aviation, military aircraft specifically are equipped with UHF radios for communication. (200-350 MHz or so) Some military aircraft are UHF only, such as certain older fighter aircraft. The military emergency frequency, or "UHF Guard", is 243.0 MHz.

I can say that I sometimes hear electronic "noise", such as static or tones, coming through over the 243.0 frequency, and have to turn the volume way down so I can still listen for emergency calls but not be bothered. While noise appearing isn't uncommon, I wouldn't say that it happens all the time. I don't think I've noticed an increase in the noise appearing over the past few years, and I've never heard noise that I could identify with any one source, much less consumer A/V equipment.

On that note, I wouldn't be overly surprised if certain pieces of consumer equipment caused electronic transmissions on certain aviation communication and navigation frequencies. But based upon the strength of the transmission that would be needed to just be picked up on any of our radios, much less cause actual interference, I would be skeptical that it would be coming from these consumer units.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"