Dead Yamaha? Or, How I Spent My Saturday Afternoon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dead Yamaha? Or, How I Spent My Saturday Afternoon.

Oh man, I was just settling in to watch Payback this afternoon when I discovered I had NO sound coming out of my mains! Surprise became shock which became . . . uh, OH S**T!!!! 8O I checked all the speaker and I/O settings for the Yamaha on the OSD - nothing out of the ordinary. I checked all the cable runs - nothing there. I was beginning to sweat the idea of replacing the RX-V1 (or at least a major service bill) as I ran back into the master bedroom closet (that's where I access the back of the component rack). I swapped speaker cables from input to input to see if possibly it was a cable (please!) or a speaker (gasp! that'd be worse than the Yamaha). Run back into the theater room and turn everything back on. Nope, it was the L/R channels in the RX-V1. Next step, uncable 'er and pull 'er out of the rack and open it up - maybe it was a loose connection? 68 pounds - oof. Nope, everything looks neat and clean. A little dusty - get the air can and fix that. Cough, cough - okay more than a little dusty. Clean now though. Hmmmm, wait a minute, why both at the same time? Have I missed anything? Oh. Let's put Mr. Yamaha back together. Okay, now back up into the rack - double oof. Now cabling. Whew, okay. Run back into the theater room. Puff puff - now, power. All right everything is back on.

Check the A OR B SPEAKER (manual only) switch hidden under the flip down panel on the front of the Yamaha. Push the "A" button in fully. A little field with yellow text comes up on the panel display. SPEAKER A. Sound comes out of the mains. Life becomes good once more. Adrenaline slowly returns to a normal level. Concious thought is again an option. Hey, wait a minute - HOW DID THE DAMN BUTTON GET "UN-PUSHED"???? The search for the guilty and the persecution of the innocent began. . . :a>

Well, as you can imagine, the three other parties in the house with opposable thumbs, the dexterity and the required height to push that button are ALL as pure as the driven snow. After inquisition-like questioning, after strenuous cross-examination of all parties, all I found out was that "Nope, noboby was within MILES of the theater room. Nossiree. Nope. Not us, uh-uh. Nobody." :

O. K. Fine. Now that the crisis is passed (Jeez, how did JFK ever cope with the whole Cuban missile thing?) I can be magnanimous and let everyone off with a stern warning and a they-are-my-toys-so-do-not-fiddle speech. Maybe they'll listen this time. Maybe. . . . :nonod:

So. How'd you spend YOUR Saturday afternoon? :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Jariten
    • Jun 2000

Hummmm
    I bought some new AC outlets...
    cleaned the place up a bit
    groomed the cats

yeah
    that's it

looking into audio racks..

voila
    that was my afternoon...
    I was at work in the morning fixing some stuff that was in backlog...
    and almost got washed off the road during the storm
    :T

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jariten
      and almost got washed off the road during the storm
      Tony, what storm? Are you having a taifun?

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

Sounds like a rough afternoon David,
        as for myself, I just got back from Longbeach, had high hopes to do some
        video taping of the annual Kite Show, Alas.......... it was rained or should
        I say Stormed out. Got a chance to put the GT. through it's paces though,
        sure glad to hear the unit is up and running for ya.... :T
        Dave...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

So NOW we know how you got the hump. :>) That's an "inside joke" carried over from the "Young Frankenstein" thread over in Movies.

Are you absolutely certain that YOU didn't accidentally push the button while making some other adjustment? I've done something like that before on my CD carousel (accidentally pushing a "Group" button, for instance, when reaching for the "Repeat" button and then only getting the discs in that group as choices when I wanted to select another disc). Maddening as hell trying to figure out what is really wrong in a situation like that.

Anyway, glad it turned out to just be a button pushed the wrong way instead of a dead amp.

Burke

PS -- I spent at least part of my afternoon re-watching "Mars Attacks!" Still hilarious.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Aaack, aaack! :B

Nope, I hadn't been under the front panel in several weeks. Most of the adjustments I make can be done from the remote.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Doesn't sound like my idea of a fun Saturday afternoon.

I had a minor panic, too, because the projector came up at lunch time with a significant degree of misconvergence- and a quick pop into the static menu showed it even worse at the edges than center- normal if things are hosed up. But why? Thinking about it, I realized I had powered up the DVD player only very briefly before turning on the 9PG+. So I powered everything down, powered up the DVD player till it's in a disk menu, as I normally do, then powered up the projector. Now, everything is hunky-dory and back to normal sharp alignment (as verified by fine cross hatch pattern) over the whole screen. Whew!~ Sigh of relief. Must just have been a glitch not locking on to the normal 1080i pattern. No problem later that night, either. :T

What did I do with the rest of Saturday afternoon?

Built some crossover boards for the Arvo Part 2.5- should have sound later this morning. :B
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

You had me worried for you for a minute there as I had a not dissimilar problem with my previous RX-V1 that was not as simple as an button. It eventually led me to the Rotel gear I have now though, so all said and done it worked out.

Yesterday spent the afternoon with Tasha buying Jazz's b-day presents (an afternoon in a mall with a 13 year old girl is like an eternity :lol: ) Then we went for a tasty late b-day dinner for me at my parents :P Yummy!

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I went through exactly the same sweaty thing as Tex with my Yamaha A3090 a couple of years ago. In my case I am pretty sure I touched the button while cleaning behind the rack. On the A3090 the A & B speaker switch in on the back of the unit and it's easy to move the switch if you're not careful. Like, Tex, I took the whole thing apart and rewired and recabled. The very last thing I thought of was the stupid A&B switch.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

George, we MUST be related somehow. :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Yep, BIG TEX and Little Tex.... :W
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

OMG,George. Is that the best you can do? :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Burke... ;zx
                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"