22 AWG stranded Oxygen Free Copper Stranded shielding
    High quality locking barrel connectors
    4% Silver Solder
    Directional Logo'd heat shrink
    Special conductor separation from ground
    FEP Teflon coating over each conductor
    Grey Tech Flex outer cover
    Pro-gold termination treatment
    Directional electron flow, created by the pre-burn process using the patented AudioDharma Cable Cooker®, to "set" electron flow for each custom pair built.

Starting price is $89.99 for one 0.5 Meter pair.

My Review is as follows:

I contacted Doug; owner, designer, and builder of each and every cable, and shared my needs. I was looking for seven interconnects to run between my Rotel RSP-1066 and AMC 2N100-5 and AMC 2100. He had just developed this new cable, SuperNova, that he claims has comes close to rivaling the detail and transparency of his SilverCats (www.catcables.com) of which I am a proud owner of two pair for my stereo only system. Loving my SilverCats, I didn’t hesitate to try his SuperNova’s.

First Impressions: Wow. Let’s just say I didn’t want to hide my cables, much like my SilverCats, the fit and finish of these babies scream quality craftsmanship and extreme detail. I’ve shown a few friends and they too thought they were pretty, one even took one over to his wife (I let him) asking if he could buy some! I was most struck by the quality locking barrel connectors. It’s so nice to not have to hank off interconnects in fear of damaging my equipment.

Listening Tests: I compared my SuperNova’s with my SilverCats and previous reference Monster Reference Two interconnects. I connected all three between my Musical Fidelity A3cr Amp and Preamp, of which run my Martin Logan SL3’s. I used my Cambridge Audio D500-Special Edition 24bit-CD Player and a variety of musical arrangements. The interconnects between my CD player and preamp remained SilverCats. First I listened to the SilverCats because they were connected to begin with and I know that sound very well. The Martin Logans are VERY revealing speakers and mated with the Musical Fidelity gear, flaws are very much heard (which means I can’t listen to too many 1980’s CD’s anymore!). Then I connected my previous reference Monster Cables followed by my new SuperNova’s and here is what I heard.

SilverCats: Detailed high end, transparency is amazingly deep and with a precise soundstage. Midrange if rich, excels in vocal presentation and “realness.” Bottom end is tight, fast, with a quick response.

Monster Reference Two: High end “missing” dynamics (best word to describe it is like a veil lay over the speakers). Midrange “heavy” with limited soundstage and depth. Bottom end not as tight and fast as SilverCats and did not have as quick a response time.

SuperNovas: Almost has detailed a high end as the SilverCats but just missing by a hair, similar transparency and soundstage. As my wife put it “It’s like there right there in front of you singing/playing.” Bottom end had excellence slam and a fast response time.

I spent A TONE OF TIME switching cables back and forth, had my wife listen (she’s the harpist with a very critical ear) and it was very hard to tell differences between the SilverCats and SuperNovas. It wasn’t until we played some of my wife’s harp scores that I heard the very subtle high-end difference between the two. The Monster, could not hold it’s own in resolution of detail and really sounded muddied compared the SuperNovas. Perhaps it’s the Silver in the cats that make the difference in the high-end frequencies, but I’m no expert so I don’t know. I do know this though, those SuperNova’s are now proudly connected in my newly finished Home Theater and boy are they singin’. They do not help run my Martin Logan but they sound so very neutral and detailed running my Energy and Axiom speakers! I love transparent and detailed sound for stereo listening and enjoy natural, very neutral (some would say “warm”) sound in home theater. The great thing is the SuperNova’s, mated with the right equipment (to my amazement) were able to provide both!

Customer Service: Much like the fit and finish of these cables, the VERY personal service Doug provides is nothing short of outstanding. You want a custom length, heck a custom cable that no one else makes; well he’ll make it for you! He responded to my e-mail promptly and even called me at work once to verify what color shrink I wanted on my cables!

Feel free to e-mail me any questions you have regarding SuperNova’s and I’ll try to share what I can. Or just contact Doug; he’ll hook you up just like he did for me!

Erik

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Great Review.

Now if I only had equipment worthy of the cables. :cry:

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice write up Erik!

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Great review Erik! Doug's cables are AWESOME! I've never tried SuperNovas but I have the Catalinas which are quite similar I believe (Doug can confirm this if he likes). I'm not as good at reviewing things like cables since I'm more of the just hook 'em up and enjoy type, and am happy as long as the cables do their job and don't fall apart or sound crappy. Doug's cables are tops in build and sound quality (and picture quality, for the video cables I've used). And yes, they blow away the Monsters I used to have in every respect.

It's interesting that there is so little difference between the Silvercats and the SuperNovas, with the Silvercats having an edge obviously since they're silver. I remember debating whether to use Silvercats or SuperNovas in my Cubicle Tubicle system at work and then Doug just happened to introduce the Catalinas just as I was debating and decided to order the first pair ever (I think--once again Doug can confirm). It's nice to know I did well choosing the Catalinas, though of course I wouldn't have gone wrong with any of his cables! (Well, maybe I would go wrong trying to use an S-video as an audio interconnect or something crazy like that!)

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• dixlon
          • Jan 2003

Erik

Great review by the way. Just wondering ...Does Doug own both Quantum and Cat cables?

Dixlon

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes both CatCables and Quantum are part of Matrixx Ent. which doug owns

Comment

• dixlon
              • Jan 2003

So the Quantum and Cat cables are of the same quality?
              Dixlon :?:

Comment

• efarstad
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2001

Dixlon: Cats and Quantum both offer amazing quality...both sites just offer different products. One is not better then the other...though Quantum is a tade more focussed on the audio side...where Cat has more video offerings! Check them both out and I'm sure you'll find what may fit your needs! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

Comment

• dixlon
                  • Jan 2003

Erik: Thanks for the info. Your comments were very helpful. :LOL:

Dixlon

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Actually, Andrew, it's now MatrixAV.US. Changed the name from Matrixx Enterprise. Signature tells the story of all Matrix stuff, including this site!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dixlon
                      • Jan 2003

Lex

Why is it every time I go to a hifi shop the store is pushing Monster cables? It seems to me Monster is marketing for the masses. Is Monster reference cables & speaker wires just as good as Quantum & Cat versions? Thanks for your time and effort.

Dixlon :?:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Monster offers the retailer some of the highest proffit margins in the store...i.e. monster sales = monster profits

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dixlon
                          Is Monster reference cables & speaker wires just as good as Quantum & Cat versions? Thanks for your time and effort.
                          The CAT not only eats the Monster, the CAT flosses its teeth with the Monster cable afterward

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                          My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Dixlon, just putting my 2 cents in. . . . Monster makes a decent product line, maybe even a fairly good one at the high-cost end, but the CATs outperform the Monsters and for a better price. Plus, (and this is a biggie) you do business direct with the owner.
                            :T

Try that with Monster.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

I've ordered some of the Quantums and am dripping with anticipation.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Oh, I like the way he said that, is their's as good as mine.

Well, I have to be careful what I say about major competitors. After all, being as small as I am, they could squash me like a bug legally.

Well, Monster has done a lot of things right. They sell product in a wide range of prices, are mass marketed by Circuit City, Best Buy, the list goes on and on. So, they have the name and the low-fi to mid-fi business by the balls so to speak. They are the volume leader. It makes it easier for them to gain entry into hi-fi stores, that and the profit margin perhaps. I know they give retailers a pretty good edge. It also gives them the advantage of the customer buying them when they enter this hobby, so it's easy for them to stay with them as they progress up the food chain.

What we offer, that many big name brands don't, is highly specialized products, tailored to your system's needs. You need a 3/4 meter cable? No problem. want WBT connectors? no problem. We can tailor the cables right down to color coordination with your wall colors. So, being small gives me some advantages in that regard. It would be difficult for majors to put as many different products on store shelves. They have to suite the masses with fewer products. We build to order.

Solid silver cables for less than 100 bucks from the majors? not likely.

We both satisfy a need in the market.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"