X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windmiller
    • Sep 2007

HDMI switch question

I've got a Rotel RSX-1057 that has 1 x HDMI out and 2 x In.

I have run out of ports so I bought a 4 x1 HDMI switch

What I am still not sure of is the best way to set it up. No laughing but I recently had brain surgery and simple stuff like this can be confusing for me while I recover. Great huh?

I've got 2 HDMI ports run from my TV to the AV rack. So the question is, should I plug the HDMI switch into one of those 2 HDMI from the TV or plug it into one of the receivers HDMI IN ports?
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Try this: use the monoprice HDMI switch as your main selector, switching between your various source components. Plug its output into an HDMI input of the RSX-1057, plug the HDMI output of the Rotel into the TV. Select the monoprice HDMI switch input on your Rotel, and use the remote from the monoprice HDMI switch to chance sources.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• kpodolski
      • Jun 2006

I use a Monoproce 5x1 switch. Great product for the money.

My advise; if all of your sources will work with just the switcher, I'd route all the sources to the switch then the switch to the display. The benefit of this hook-up is that you can view all of your sources without having to turn on the Rotel receiver.

Conversely, you could hook-up two sources to the Rotel, run the HDMI out to the switch, and then the display. Naturally, the two sources that run to the Rotel will only work when the receiver is powered on. BUT, you may have some HDCP issues. (Honestly, I'd be suprised if you didn't). Switches themselves are bad enough; but to run one switch through another is asking for trouble. May work, but you'll have to try. We all know that HDCP is evil, evil, EVIL!!!

If it was me, I'd hook-up all the sources through the switch. I like the fact that I can watch a cable, DVD or BD without turning on the sysem if I don't feel like it.
      The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kpodolski
        If it was me, I'd hook-up all the sources through the switch. I like the fact that I can watch a cable, DVD or BD without turning on the sysem if I don't feel like it.
        Agreed, but depends if you're also using HDMI for the audio stream - if so then it should go via the Rotel.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The 1057's HDMI ports are switched only, no audio decoding or video converting is supported.

So unless you have 5 HDMI sources, just use the switch for video and the Rotel for audio.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"