X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Mark Schifter, owner of AVR123 Indicted by Grand Jury on Five Counts

I'm not surprised by this one bit.

The story was first reported at length on our own Audioholics Forums several months ago, but the official grand jury indictment finally came through for Mark L. Schifter of AV123.com.
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh, dear... yes, this industry does have several grifters in it.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by btf1980
      I'm not surprised by this one bit.
      Why is that?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Wasn't AV123 the ones that were taking huge amounts of pre-orders on a new speaker and then even like 2 years later the product still wasn't done? Last I had heard all those people were still waiting for their pre-orders. Was a huge thing over there and I think he even turned off their forums because of all the bad talk that was going on as he wouldn't refund any money or anything. I remember one guy just ended up getting a store credit of his pre-order money not sure if it ever got used or anything. A lot of things started smelling pretty fishy over there a while ago, not really sure what happened as AV123 was a very reputable company and then all the sudden everything changed.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Whether a reputable company, or the facade of a reputable company, let's not presume guilt before a jury of his peers do. He's indicted, but that does not assume guilt. Let's stick with innocent until proven guilty but condition that with Caveate Empor as far as dealings with that company now...

The info is there to read, please keep this civil and without mud slinging and attacks regarding him.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Certainly he's innocent until proven guilty was just explaining why it wasn't a huge surprise.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Innocent before proven guilty!!!???

That's not the American way!!!!!!!

Or he must be famous and rich...because then you can get away with just about anything. That IS the american way!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I just wonder if they can find 12 audiophiles in his city... Hopefully for his sake they can. That is peers, right?
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Why is that?
                  Let's just say that his less than stellar reputation precedes him.

According to Colorado-based website TimesCall.com, a Colorado grand jury has indicted Mark Schifter, who works for another website, AV123.com, for a number of charges relating to misappropriating funds earmarked for a variety of charitable organizations.

In America we all are innocent until proven guilty yet even with that protection in place, there are many in the AV industry who are not surprised that "Shifty Schifter" is in trouble with the law. His success with Genesis Loudspeakers and Audio Alchemy in the 1990s are well documented. Schifter also went on to be an early player in the outsourcing of loudspeaker manufacturing to China as well as the online sale of speakers directly to the customer. Paired with his successes comes a laundry list of industry enemies who remember the questionable business practices, broken promises and breached contracts. Schifter is famous for saying "if you don't like it - sue me." Now it looks like the Colorado Attorney General is taking him up on the offer with some very serious allegations.
                  A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Wow. If he's guilty of those charges and with those kinds of business practices, I hope they put him away for a LONG time.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JustinGN
                      • May 2009

Well...that's certainly one way to afford a Meridian setup, if true. :P

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"