Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Runaway Jury - A Review

Runaway Jury - A Review October 28, 2003

MPAA Rating: PG-13
    Runtime: 127 minutes

This film, directed by Gary Fleder (Imposter, Don't Say A Word, Kiss The Girls), with screenplay by Brian Koppelman (Knockaround Guys, The Rounders) is based on the book by noted author John Grisham. It stars:
    1. Gene Hackman - Enemy Of The State, Crimson Tide, Unforgiven, Hoosiers, Superman - as Rankin Fitch
      Dustin Hoffman - Wag The Dog, Outbreak, Hook, Rain Man, Tootsie - as Wendell Rohr
      John Cusack - Identity, Serendipity, Con Air, The Grifters - as Nicholas Easter
      Rachel Weisz - Enemy At The Gates, The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Chain Reaction - as Marlee
      Bruce Davison - X-Men, X2, Spies Like Us - as Durwood Cable
      Bruce McGill - The Sum Of All Fears, 61*, My Cousin Vinnie, Animal House - as Judge Harkin

Rankin Fitch is the man - you need a trial decided before it happens, you call him. He has ways of manipulating anyone that is considered for or sits on a jury. His team is brought in to insure that a court trial against a gun manufacturer turns out the way the manufacturer wants it to turn out. Wendell Rohr is the prosecuting attorney, trying to get the gun industry to be held accountable for their manufacture, marketing and selling of cheap assault weapons. Durwood Cable is the defense attorney, who seems unsure how to proceed with Fitch around. Nicholas is a young impatient man with things do other than sit on a jury - or is he? And Marlee - what's her game - trying to steal the jury away from Rankin Fitch? Uh oh, trouble is on the way.

This film features two of Hollywoods biggest names and best actors. Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman have never acted in the same movie until now and they don't disappoint when they come up to bat. It was fun just to sit back and watch these two masters of their craft at work. Unfortunately the story itself doesn't live up to their standards of acting excellence. Once the curtain falls there are several important threads that are just left hanging, or in the worst cases simply ignored as having any impact on the ending of the trial. It's strange and very distracting. Cusack and Weisz both do credible jobs in their roles but are simply overshadowed by Mssrs. Hackman and Hoffman. Bruce McGill once again does a nice job in a lesser role as the judge - I really enjoy this actor's work.

Visually, this film is fairly well put together. Colors range from well saturated to a dark restricted palette to somewhat washed out images at times. Close ups and courtroom shots show generally good detail although some longer shots show some soft focus at times.

Aurally, theres not too much going on in the surrounds except for ambient noise until the few action sequences begin and then the surround channels do kick in. Dialog is well done (being a dialog-driven film, this is a good thing) with clarity throughout the film and little or no distractions like chestiness or overly enhanced levels.

I really wanted to like this movie a lot. It had all the makings of a truly superior drama and with Hackman, Hoffman and company, how could it miss? Well, it didn't on some levels and that's its saving grace, because it did fall flat on the level of plot and continuity of the storylines. Is it worth a watch? Absolutely, if for no other reason than to see two of the all-time best at the height of their games, and for capable support from the cast around them. It's too bad the writing didn't keep up its end.

I give Runaway Jury a "qualified" :3: out of :5:.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Thanks for the review. I will likely rent this when it comes to dvd because of the same reasons you mentioned: Hackman and Hoffman. BTW, did you know they were pretty good friends but hadn't done anything together till this film. I read that somewhere and assume it is correct.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Rachel Weisz nuff said I'll watch it for sure :hump:

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"