RB 1090 Too Powerful For Sonus Grand Piano Speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccorum1
    • Aug 2003

RB 1090 Too Powerful For Sonus Grand Piano Speakers?

A great site! This is my first post, and although I have been interested in stereo gear since the 1960's, my technical knowledge is limited.

I once owned two pair of KLH 9 Electrostatics driven by Marantz Model 9 amps, for those of you old enough to remember when you could get the ultimate setup for what some interconnects cost now.

I now have a Sonus Faber HT/music system: Grand Piano mains, Solo center, and 4 Concertinos for the surround and rear speakers; and a Denon 2900.

I am about to add a sub to the system; actually two, as I am thinking about two Hsu TN1220's with his 500w amp.

I am driving the system now with B&K gear (ref 30 and 7220), but am about to step up (I think it is a step up) to Rotel (RSP 1098, RMB 1095 for the center and surround and rear speakers, and the RB 1090 for the Grand Piano main speakers).

My reason for getting the Rotel, especially the RB 1090, is because I am going to get the Magnapan 3.6 speakers to run exclusively as a two channel system, and like the fact that the 1090 (380x2) will put out about 700wpc into the Maggie's 4 ohm load.

My concern is that I also plan to use the 1090 to drive my 6 ohm Sonus Grand Piano mains in my HT system, and am concerned about possibly damaging them by driving them with approx. 5-600w into 6 ohms.

They are rated to handle a 250w max.

Do I have anything to be worried about?

Thanks
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

First welcome to the club! Secondly with those fine speaker choices you're going to make a few friends quickly with several of the moderators here given their deep affection for magnepan and s.f:T

Now to the question at hand...no you won't damage the grand piano's with the 1090 amp. Almost always too much power is much better then too little power since you'll never overdrive a speaker with too much power...at least not without seriously hurting your ears but going loud with an underpowered amp may cause the less powerful amp to clip which basically holds the driver at the same point in its stroke which heats up the voice coils and ruins the driver...not a good thing as martha would now say

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"