X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I voted today (so it works now for me). I have a PS3 at the moment and will likely add the Oppo to the system at some point (thus extending the life of my non-HDMI equipped receiver AND getting full lossless audio--which is the only thing I don't get from my otherwise great PS3). I also have two HD DVD players for the 160+ discs I own (thanks to major fire sale prices) and a combo BD/HD DVD drive is on its way to my house by FedEx as I type this.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh yeah? Huh... Who makes the combo BD/HD-DVD drive?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

LG makes combination BD/HD ROM drives, not burners. I think you can get them from Newegg.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JohnA
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Me, right now. I have no Blu Ray player at all, although I have been buying quite a few of the new releases where they offer both a B/R version and a normal DVD version of the movie. Many of the ones where they offer both B/R & DVD discs in one package, are priced right around $20-$22 as a new release. So it's roughly $4 about extra over the price of a normal DVD to also get the B/R copy with it. I'm kind of waiting to see how much the price will drop on the Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400disc Blu Ray megachanger. And if it gets down there quite a bit from where it is now, then I'm going for it. Right now I have 5 Sony DVP-CX7000ES 400disc megachangers all hooked up to a Escient AVX552, with 4 of those changers being totally filled, and now working on filling #5. So I have way too many standard DVD's to even remotely think of a complete conversion of everything over to Blu-Ray. Besides the fact many of my DVD's I now have probably will never even be made in Blu Ray. There is also really no way I could afford to re-buy even a fraction of all this in Blu Ray....:E :nonod:

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
            Oh yeah? Huh... Who makes the combo BD/HD-DVD drive?
            This is the drive I bought.

The LG combo drives are nearly impossible to find (at least from anywhere that would ship to Canada).

Edit:
            I stand corrected. The drive is an LG supermulti Blue in a Zebra/Addonics casing (that is not evident from the web page). Works mostly fine in Windows 7. It, so far, balks at playing the extras on HD DVDs correctly (does a weird thing in the background that is distracting, but that could well be the free playback software that came with it--may have to look into getting something else). PQ looks great on my MacBook Pro.
            Last edited by Ovation; 13 January 2010, 23:23 Wednesday. Reason: have played with the new drive

Comment

• heapatrouble
              • Feb 2009

Two BD players

I own a panasonic BDP35 and a custom-built HTPC with an LG BD burner. I own several dozen DVD's and less than two dozen BD's. I am a netflix subscriber and a scrupulous sale-watcher for those BD's I want to add to my collection.

Comment

• heapatrouble
                • Feb 2009

Correction

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                LG makes combination BD/HD ROM drives, not burners. I think you can get them from Newegg.
                LG *did* make a BD burner/HD-DVD player and a BD/HD-DVD player simultaneously. I own the former. At present, I believe they are making drives and burners for BD only, although the earlier models may still be available if you look hard enough.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Mine is not a burner for BD (it does burn CD/DVD just fine) but they are disappearing. When I first went looking for such a drive, back in September, a quick google search found half a dozen sources. By the time my procrastinating nature had gotten around to actually installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, only one of the six I had bookmarked still had drives in stock. I was intending to put it off until spring, but given what had happened to the supplies, I decided to order one right away. Now, if I can only figure out how to output BD/HD DVD over VGA (all our projectors at work are VGA--no DVI or HDMI)...

Comment

• JustinGN
                    • May 2009

I've got a BD player in the form of my PS3, as well as a BD/HD DVD reader in my Main PC that I use for archiving purposes. Also looking at an Oppo BDP-83, since it's apparently awesome enough for Lexicon to rip off

Comment

• greenhorn
                      • Feb 2007

In The Minority

I'm in the very low minority, don't have one, not planning on getting one. Thoughts might be old school... but

42" Plasma with seating about 10' away max.

DVD player is very nice (and somewhat pricey)Arcam.

Up until recent BR were expensive, I still prefer to pay less than $10 for a movie.

Regular picture I get with regular DVDs is pretty darn good.

I understand BR does have better sound in some cases, this is the only reason at this point I have a tiny bit of interest.

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

You should another vote option - namely do you have more than 1 BD player..

Love them and even though I have a scaler on my DVD - it still does not come close to the blueray player (and I do enhancing on that as well)..

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

My family has got one, but I don't yet. Hopefully, I'll pick up a BD drive for my PC soon. =D
                          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
                            This is the drive I bought.

The LG combo drives are nearly impossible to find (at least from anywhere that would ship to Canada).

Edit:
                            I stand corrected. The drive is an LG supermulti Blue in a Zebra/Addonics casing (that is not evident from the web page). Works mostly fine in Windows 7. It, so far, balks at playing the extras on HD DVDs correctly (does a weird thing in the background that is distracting, but that could well be the free playback software that came with it--may have to look into getting something else). PQ looks great on my MacBook Pro.
                            I just bought one of these after checking out the link- nice drive. Will come in handy soon, will be using it on my Mac Pro, including when running Vista.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Top Cat
                              • Jan 2010

I have a Samsung BD player. It is the 1500 and so far it has played every disc without a hitch. I have had it for about 7 months.

Comment

• Gremal
                                • Apr 2007

I'm an early adopter with a first generation PS3 and the new Oppo SE with NuForce mods to replace my two-channel only SACD player. Blu-ray is a great format and is catching on fast.
                                Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Ok, this ran through Jan 31, that's it, over...

thanks for participating
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"