X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Wall Plate - HDMI/CAT5/Power

Can anyone suggest a wall plate that has power, HDMI and CAT5? Id like to have one installed behind a plasma im installing. If there isnt one which has all 3, perhaps 2 separate ones? Not sure how it would normally be done.

Thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Well, Panamax makes what you want, but no HDMI module yet. Double gang plate with a recessed surge protector and a slot for a 'module'. You can put a decora plate in there and it comes with a 2-port keystone adapter. You could put a CAT5 keystone in and run the HDMI out the other hole.

Datacomm has something similar, but it's just a recessed plug (no surge) and a shaped plastic internal spout to run the cables out of. You can also get a matching set if the equipment is going below the TV. Power-in and up sloping spout on the bottom, power-out and down sloping spout behind the TV.

That said, I would be careful trying to do an HDMI wall plate. Most are a simple female to female coupler that can cause problems. In addition, you will have a hard time turning the HDMI cable in the wall to hit the plate straight on and also having the HDMI cable coming straight out into the back of the TV.

There are a few companies that have right-angle HDMI plates. Pigtail in the wall so the HDMI cable can come straight down or up into the plug and a 90 degree block on the front so the wall to TV cable can remain parallel to the wall.

So I would probably look at just doing the panamax or datacomm units, but having the HDMI run straight out of the wall to the TV.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Thanks Kevin,

You re right in that its probably easiest to fun an HDMI cable rather then worry about the wall plate. My HT rack will be about 10 feet away from the plasma and just want the cables in the wall hidden.

Ideally Id like a power cord (male on one end and female the other) so i can plug the plasma into my RLC 1040. I guess I could just run a power cable that is rated to run in wall?

Come to think of it who needs a wall plate at all..i might as well just run the cables all through the wall from one end to the other.

My only other concern i guess is that I will have to go between studs. as the rack is off to the side and not straight down. Do you know if metal studs typically have holes or cut outs in them for running a cable through?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Unless otherwise requested, none of out installs have a wall plate. You might get a trim-ring and plate with a hole in it, but generally a small hole is all we do.

Metal studs generally have ovals cut into them. They will be sharp, so protect the wires and be careful. Hopefully they will all be lined up. If so, you should be able to get through about 3 or 4 studs with a fiberglass rod.

Worse case is to pull the kick molding off the bottom and cut the sheetrock behind it. Runs the wires along the bottom and then replace the sheetrock & molding. If you cut it right, all you will need is is some nails, caulk, and paint.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

I'd recommend a simple entrance/exit wall plate, such as these:

I used two of these in my bedroom - one low on the wall (behind a dresser), and one behind the lcd mounted on the wall. Simple and effective.
          Brad

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

These guys are in Canada and cheap. http://www.infinitecables.com/av_wall-plates.html

I built mine from their inventory.

-Hedwig
            Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
            Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
            B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
            Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
            Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Personally, I would not run power and HDMI/Ethernet in the same wall cavity. I have my power on one side of a stud and my HDMI and Ethernet in the next one over.

I would then use the Decora plates for the HDMI and Ethernet. I think Monoprice.com has them for a very reasonable price.
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"