X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

System Change

With the arrival of child no. 2, I am thinking of giving up my dedicated room for an extra bedroom. I've got more rooms in the house, but nothing where my existing system will fit without crowding (except the main living area, which I don't want to do).

I'm thinking about going to a nice pair of DIY monitors (Minuet 5 possibly) and a good receiver. Or possibly amplification from Emotiva since they seem to get good press these days.

Any ideas as to other options? BTW, I don't want to do in-walls...

FYI Current System:
    - Martin Logan SL3
    - Logos center
    - Classe SSP 25
    - Audio Refinement (YBA brand) Multi 3
    - DIY RLp-15 Sub (which can stay) w/EP2500 amp
    - BagEnd Infra 18 (can also stay)
    - Sanyo Z4 FPTV
    - Sony PS3 (will stay as source)
    - I have some Magnepan surrounds also, but still in the box.
    Danish
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oooohhhh... I think you've already got something good with the Martin Logans and Maggies. Hey, if you end up replacing those, though, I'll take them!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Yeah, I like the system -just trying to find room. I suppose I can suck it up and stick them somewhere. I do have the option of rearranging the now guest bedroom. the closet is set up such that I could possibly put the equipment in there and just have the speakers in the room. I'd just have to get rid of the bed and buy a sleeper sofa or futon.

I'll post pics of both rooms once I get time, i.e. when Dax goes to sleep around 8:00 (hopefully).
      Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Those Minuet's are supposed to be quite good! I know that Scan-Speak mid is said to be the best midrange period buy quite a few people. Now I doubt they would have the same sort of effect that the ML's or Maggie's have....but they are certainly more space friendly.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Camera battery is dead, I'll get the pics up soon though...
          Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Here's 2 pictures of the existing room and 2 pictures of the current guest bedroom. I'll likely end up moving the system to the guest room and trying to utilize the closet somehow for the gear.

Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

So...no more projector?

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

dyazdani,

My suggestion, take a little more time evaluating placement in the new room. In the 12 years or so I've been in this hobby, the one thing that still amazes more than any other is, the amount of people that make smaller spaces work.

I'm speaking of the ones you seen countless times in photos and was just floored at how everything seemed to be in it's proper place. And or flowed so nicely. Only to realize at some point, the actual dimensions are far smaller than appeared!

I've also been to several such rooms. Most of which had good sound. And some were nothing short of fantastic.

My point... you seem very satisfied with your current gear. I understand the ML's and the Mag's require a little bit of space. But, you may find that with a little planning, the sound may be more to your liking in this room, than first imagined.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

The Maggies actually hang on the wall, so they don't really take up any space.

Still planning on the projector being involved, but again, need to figure where to put it. I use the wall as the screen now, but I do have a purpose built one also.
                  Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                    I'm speaking of the ones you seen countless times in photos and was just floored at how everything seemed to be in it's proper place. And or flowed so nicely. Only to realize at some point, the actual dimensions are far smaller than appeared!
                    Any example photos?
                    Danish

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

As irony would have it, the above post has one.

Also, it would be easier to just go through the picture threads in the Rotel and B&W sections of our forum. Plenty there to see.
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

I have a smallish room for my HT and it works fine. The 64 inch screen looks bigger than it is, my gear doesn't strain to fill the room with clean, loud sound and I feel no need to upgrade nearly as much as I used to when I had larger rooms to work with (and I have a full 5.1 set up in the small room whereas larger rooms in the past were 2 channel).

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

I've once heard the Sound Lab A-1 in a small hotel room at a Stereophile show in 1993. They really dominated the room maybe a 11' X 16' room. But, they sounded wonderful - I voted that setup the best sound at the show. So, it can be done.
                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

I know the acoustics are there, just need to find a way to work around the queen bed, dresser, nightstand, and wing chair...
                            Danish

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

How 'bout a yard sale?
                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"