X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

Should I add a surround back?

So, since I've got this new AVR-3801, should I add a speaker or two for the surround back channel? My room is a little small for it I think. The sofa sits next to the back wall of the room and I've got Energy e:XL-R's for my surround speakers at the appropriate place, which is about 2.5 feet from the back wall.

Is the surround back worth it? I know quite a few movies are using it, more than I expected.

And if I were to do it, what would be the best way. I was considering two options. First let me describe my setup, e:XL-16's for the front channels, e:XL-C in the center, and the e:XL-R's for surround. Okay, back to my two options.

One: I get another pair of e:XL-16's and use them for surrounds, moving the e:XL-R's to surround back. Would that be bad? Dipoles for surround back?

Two: Buy a new e:XL-C2 for the center channel and use the old e:XL-C as the surround back. Either resting it on the back of the sofa (which I'm sure my wife will love) or mounting higher up the wall.
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I'm sure everyone will disagree with me but I feel the center surrounds in DDEX and DTS-ES are gimmicky. I've heard no improvement.

I'm much more interested in discreet channels.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SMiLEY
      • Sep 2000

I know DD-EX is just a matrixed rear, but I thought that DTS-ES was a discrete system.

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

Your wrong SiliGoose, I agree with you completely. Even with the discrete center rear is questionable.

SMiLEY, With your situation with the couch against the back wall you would have to place the center rear speaker above on the ceiling and I am not sure if that would sound correct. But you can try it it just might be what you like.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I have never heard an EX/ES setup. Yet matrixed or not, the idea of anything that adds to the evelopment of sound to the listener can't hurt. Now, with your seat being against wall, your return in this setup maybe minimum. On the other hand (depending on placement eg; back of couch, ceiling or wall) your in room results may work for you. It's hard to say if you the individual would benefit from such a setup. I say if the funds and SAF is there...try it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
            • Aug 2000

As much as I hate the notion of spending dollars friviously, I cannot say anything bad about DD EX or DTS ES even with regular 5.1 material. So far I've seen 6 and 7 channels done two ways: good and bad. Speaker placement is critical in positioning the side and rear channels. When it's done right, both sets are 3 to 5 feet equidistant from the listening position. Set up correctly, the added ambience is unquestionable. When watching Gladiator and Mission to Mars I was enveloped by a sound field like never before. If you have the room dimensions for it, 7-channel performance draws a new line in the sand.

Smiley, as much as I hate to say it, you may be SOL for positioning purposes. That isn't to say it can't be done. You could consider a downward-pointing, ceiling mount of sorts. Although I'd experiment a bit with existing speakers for position, I can't imagine that a combination of dipoles for sides and ceiling in-walls for rears would fail.

Ken
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"