X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avrtRick
    • Oct 2007

Surround back processing

As we are well aware , the Rotels do not have the ability to add the surround (matrix,post-processing)back speakers when MPCM is the incoming signal.

What I would like to know is, how many people would like to have this option
    provided.(I DO :T )

Are there any cons to have this ability to those of us that would like it?(I would think not)

But I would like to hear from everyone that has a view on this, albeit negative or positive.

PLEASE ROTEL ;x( ;x(

Thanks Guys
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Do you need a fairly large size room for 7.1?

I have my couch up against the back wall and my dipoles on the side walls about 12 inches above the top of my head. I don't know where I would put any more speakers in such a small room. If I put them on the rear wall they would have to go up high towards the ceiling.

Is 7.1 really a benefit over 5.1 in my situation?

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Small rooms do not benefit from 7.1 setup. Infact a 5.1 will sound better in a small room than a 7.1.

Only use 7.1 if you got the room for it.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Nuthed
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
        Do you need a fairly large size room for 7.1?

I have my couch up against the back wall and my dipoles on the side walls about 12 inches above the top of my head. I don't know where I would put any more speakers in such a small room. If I put them on the rear wall they would have to go up high towards the ceiling.

Is 7.1 really a benefit over 5.1 in my situation?
        Did you try direct radiating speakers first, or just buy dipoles? With your room arrangement, couch up against the back wall, I would think that direct radiators mounted high up and angled slightly down to your listening position would have been a better option. Provided the couch is your primary listening position.
        Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
        RB980-BX driving mains
        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
        Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
        Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
        SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Nuthed
          Did you try direct radiating speakers first, or just buy dipoles? With your room arrangement, couch up against the back wall, I would think that direct radiators mounted high up and angled slightly down to your listening position would have been a better option. Provided the couch is your primary listening position.

I have had direct radiators mounted up high in the corners as your suggesting. Also had bookshelf's on stands off to the sides of the listening position. I went with dipoles because of their overall flexibility. Having them on the wall and up above my head gave a better surround experience in my room. In bi-pole mode for movies the speakers disappear and do not draw attention to themselves as bullets ring out or helicopters fly over it seems to add more realism to the surround experience.
          In multichannel listening switching to monopole gives a more direct response on music surround, but I feel the speaker should be a little farther back of my ears rather than directly to the sides.
          I had the DS3 before the DS7 and the DS3 was positioned on the back wall about 3 ft. above my head and about 2 ft. off each end of the couch. I think the position I have the DS7's on the sidewalls have given the best effect so far. I'm open to suggestions for experimentation though.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Have you tried running a 12v trigger to the DS7's to put them in monopole mode for music and bipole mode for surround?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Have you tried running a 12v trigger to the DS7's to put them in monopole mode for music and bipole mode for surround?

Kevin D.
              I do it by taking off the front dustcover and useing the manual switch. The 12v input on the back of the DS7 is flush against the wall so I would have to come at it from inside the wall with the cord.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"