X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Rest In Peace Video Tape

The last major supplier of VHS tape is ending distribution. A moment of silence is in order for the tape that made Home Theater possible. We spent many memorable hours together. Farewell. :^x
    Russ
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

VHS & I + friends have shared many great memories together. The moment of silence is acknowledged.
    Bye-bye VHS :later:
    "Sniff" :lovestory:

Comment

• planitismetal
      • Dec 2008

I remember my father when he bought for first time a video player (video 2000 not VHS) And it was from both sides movie (one tape, 2 movies)... We were proud for having a video player-recorder... He had spent two salaries for this (here in Greece)... Then came out VHS and now you can buy a dvd-player with 35$... R.I.P. VHS :cry:

Comment

• H.T.C
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by planitismetal
        I remember my father when he bought for first time a video player (video 2000 not VHS) And it was from both sides movie (one tape, 2 movies)... We were proud for having a video player-recorder... He had spent two salaries for this (here in Greece)... Then came out VHS and now you can buy a dvd-player with 35$... R.I.P. VHS :cry:
        Well,if anyone has a quasar great time machine video recorder dont throw it away,it may be worth something !!!
        Robert

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Wow. Vaya con Dios video tape - you were a good friend. :thud:

My first VHS player was almost the size of the top of my 25" television. IIRC, it was a Magnavox, and weighed about 50 pounds. Wood grain panels, brushed steel case and buttons (no remote even) - man it was "the bomb". I think my first movie was Ice Station Zebra and it cost about US$49 (and we complain about high Blu-ray costs)!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I forget the name of my first VCR but it had a remote with a line that you plugged into an outlet on the front. Shane was the first movie I purchased . I forget what I paid but I do recall that tapes were really expensive to buy in those days.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

I never owned a VHS player. My Dad and I were into Laserdiscs before going to DVD. Kind missed out on the recording aspect though. I recently recorded a couple ball games on our new digital video recorder.

Shane is great movie. I bought that VHS tape because it wasn't available on Laserdisc at the time. Still never bought the player though.
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Mike B
                • Aug 2008

I removed the VCR from the system over the holidays, but I didn't throw it away. The receiver has R-L and S-video inputs on the front and we still have tapes.

So I hooked it up and watched Jurassic Park and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

But, yes, time to go for those huge clunky plastic things that need rewinding and only last for a short time and get wound up in the player just like audio casettes.

Hey, that's when you knew it was time to get a new player.

RIP.

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

I remember many great memories as a child with our VHS player. Every other Satuday my mom would take my brother and I to the movie rental store and we could both pick out a movie. My mom would order Pizza and make popcorn. I even remember our player didn't have automatic tracking and I would get to turn the knob until the picture and sound looked right. One of my favorite childhood memories.

RIP VHS, you will never be forgotten.
                  -Joe

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Somebody should have told Panasonic!

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Ah, yes, good memories with VHS. Growing up, we didn't get TV reception at my house, so all we had were the VHS tapes that we rented, which wasn't all that often. At first, we only owned a couple videotapes, so I watched them OVER and OVER and OVER again. Top Gun was the very first. I can quote that movie from start to finish no problem.

That being said, it's definitely time to move on. Thank goodness we finally started selling more DVD's than VHS, and now we're into the HD realm!
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Isaac
                        • Jan 2006

You mean I will no longer need my rewinder?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

You mean I will no longer need my rewinder?
                          You'll only need it to return your optical disks without a penalty to Blockbuster (some DVDs at one of their local stores had a "Please be kind, rewind" sticker on them). ;>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alloroc
                            Somebody should have told Panasonic!

http://att.com.com/8301-19167_1-10136888-100.html
                            Now that's just weird. If you can use the VHS as a source and record to the Blu-Ray, then maybe you could put your entire 1,000 VHS-tape movie collection on one BR disc.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• goe2112
                              • Feb 2005

Back in 1985 after receiving my reenlistment bonus, I purchased my first and only VCR player. A Sansui HiFi VCR, $700.00, boy was that top of the line back then. I bought it mostly to play music. It was supposed to be as good as a reel to reel tape player. At that time I would borrow other airman's LP's and record them. I recorded many albums and the sound quality was very good. It was worth the price for it served me well for 12 years.
                              Never bought another VCR player after that. The VCR definately brought video media into the house.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                Ah, yes, good memories with VHS. Growing up, we didn't get TV reception at my house, so all we had were the VHS tapes that we rented, which wasn't all that often. At first, we only owned a couple videotapes, so I watched them OVER and OVER and OVER again. Top Gun was the very first. I can quote that movie from start to finish no problem.

That being said, it's definitely time to move on. Thank goodness we finally started selling more DVD's than VHS, and now we're into the HD realm!
                                I remember even renting the VHS player!

Im embarrassed to say the tittles I used to rent.

Also VHS reminds me of Columbia House.

Comment

• greenhorn
                                  • Feb 2007

Our first one was $$$ and had the wired remote. It had a built in tuner of sorts, but you had to spin a little wheel to tune in that channel you wanted as preset and then put a little piece of plastic with a number to ID what channel it was.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"