X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

Electricity experts needed

i have just received my RMA'd belkin PF-60 back today. i set it up but it keeps blowing the house fuse. below is a description of what i did and how it is set up. i would appreciate anyone that would have suggestions on how to get this thing working. thanks in advance.

we have 220v power in korea.
    i am using a grounded 3kVA 220-110 converter.
    i do not know the rating of the master fuse since it is all in korean.
    i have 5 single channel amps, 1 processor, dvd player, and cable box plugged into the PF-60. none of the master switches are on.
    as soon as i turn on the converter the master fuse blows.
    if i leave the converter on and switch the master fuse on, it blows instantly.
    i don't understand where the draw is coming from since every master switch on the components is off.
    i used the same converter in my last house with no problems.

so what do you guys think? what should i be looking at?
    chris
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Sounds like the converter is bad. It seems to have a short.
    Greg

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

well i was using the same converter with a power strip before i got the PF-60 back. the only difference is now i have another 2 amps plugged into it...

i also tried unplugging everything from the PF-60 and it still trips the fuse. man this is frustrating :M
      chris

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

What if you have just the converter plugged in?
        Greg

Comment

• riceaterslc
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
          What if you have just the converter plugged in?
          thanks for the replies,

converter by itself is no problem
          converter with power strip no problem
          converter with PF-60 blown fuse. i'm baffled...maybe i need a higher rated converter? thats the only thing i can think of...
          chris

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

Originally posted by riceaterslc
            thanks for the replies,

converter by itself is no problem
            converter with power strip no problem
            converter with PF-60 blown fuse. i'm baffled...maybe i need a higher rated converter? thats the only thing i can think of...

Looks like the PF-60 has a problem. What was wrong with it before?
            If you just plug the PF-60 in with no load it shouldn't blow the fuse
            unless it has a fault.
            Greg

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

I also suspect the PF-60. I am also curious to know what was wrong with it ? The PF-60 uses MOVs for surge protection and if one or more have failed and not been replaced, that could be responsible for the fuse blowing. The PF-60 has a circuit breaker that should open if there is a problem, but it is possible for the house fuse to blow faster than the breaker can react. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion before, where a household breaker trips before a device's internal breaker.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

The converter - does it use a toroidal transformer?

A 3KVA unit is huge. It might just be initial current inrush. Toroids are particularly bad about it. Make sure you have a slow blow fuse with an appropriate rating.

Comment

• riceaterslc
                  • Aug 2006

i appreciate the replies everyone!

the previous PF60 somehow got broken during my last move. i don't know exactly, but it looked like capacitors blew. unfortunately i didn't take any pictures.

the one i received is a brand new unit, not refurbished or repaired.

there is an adjustable output knob on the converter. i may try to turn it all the way down at first to output about 50 volts. do you guys think this could help the inrush issue?

mark: are you talking about a slow burn fuse in the PF60 or the house fuse?

i think i'm just going to remove the main breaker and jump it with some 0 gauge cable... :M just kidding
                  chris

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

Its the household fuse that needs to be time delay. That will allow the inrush current through when power is first applied to the converter without popping the fuse.

Comment

• riceaterslc
                      • Aug 2006

thanks Glen, i'll ask the landlord to help me locate a time delay fuse
                      chris

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"