Why do I get soooo nervous when trying to pull the trigger on a new piece of gear???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Why do I get soooo nervous when trying to pull the trigger on a new piece of gear???

Thinking hard about getting a new pair of bookshelf speakers and a center channel for my bedroom system. After a pretty exhaustive search, I think I found some that will probably make me happy as a loon for years to come. They cost about $2300 and everything I've read makes me believe these are speakers that I'd fall madly in love with (ACI's). Everyone who owns them seems to love them. In fact, people call them a bargain at that price (one of the factory direct companies), but, me, I'm a whimpering blob of indecision. Doesn't anyone else feel like I do or am I a sissy buyer?

Keith
    Keith
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

Oh, all the time buddy.

But I may be a bit more psychotic than you. :crazy: :??

Once I do decide on the item I want. ;lx I've got to have it NOW! I can't wait, NOW!NOW!NOW!

I'll drive all over town looking for it first. Even if in the back of my mind I know I have to order it and wait. And If I have to order it, and it's in stock. FEDEX-Next Day Air baby. I'm not rich, there is a limit to what I will spend on shipping. But most of the time I can justify it. There is nothing worse then making the decision on what to buy on a Thursday night or Friday. :x Cuz, I know I have to wait through the weekend. :banghead:

But the real kicker. In most cases, Especially if it's a fairly expensive item. As soon as I get it and hook it up, or put a few miles on it, or install it, or whatever. I start to stress about buying it.

"Did I need it right now?" :huh:
    "Should I have spent that much?" :huh:
    "Should I have gotten that other one?" :huh:
    "Was there a newer model coming soon, did I think to check?" :huh:
    "Did I forget about something else that was financially important that month?" (i.e. Car Insurance, College Fund Installment, Property Taxes, FOOD)

I AM the "Poster Child" for Buyer's Remorse. :smackbutt:

Mrs. Dog -> :sos:: hates it when I decide to buy something new. Because she knows I'll be an emotional wreck for the first couple of days following it's arrival at our home.

You sir, are not alone.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Oh, man, did you sum it up perfectly. Especially the part about procrastinating, then needing it right now. That's what I do with rolls of film too. They can lay around for months to be developed, then, when I take them it, it has to be one-hour development.

You'd make the perfect psychoanalyst.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Danbry
        Doesn't anyone else feel like I do or am I a sissy buyer?

Oh, I think we all (well, with the exception of Trevor 'n Lex ) agonize over purchases to a point, and the more expensive the purchase, the more we agonize. Why? This hobby isn't cheap, and laying out thousands of dollars for something is for most of us, a serious investment. We worry about our new toy performing up to the level we expect. Now, double that worry when it's a "sight-unseen" purchase like your ACI's that you've had little or no chance to audition.

Hmmm, buyer's remorse? For me, just twice and in one case it didn't last too long. It was right after I bought my Aerial Acoustics speakers. I was going through that "did I REALLY need to spend X-thousands on these monsters?" moment. It only lasted until I got them home and plugged them in - whew.

The other was my first wife - that case of "remorse" lasted a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg time. :

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah, agonize is the right word. Even though I have always had the bread for the purchase, it would take days to convince myself I deserve the treat. Finally wifey would say, " Just order the darn thing. " And that would usually do it. I think, in my case anyway, I just feel guilty spending all that money ( thousands over the years) on myself.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            it would take days to convince myself I deserve the treat.
            You are “Spot On” George. All of my above input is right AFTER I decided to do it for myself. I rarely buy things for myself. I'll spend money on the wife, the kids, parents, in-laws, nephews, and nieces. Long before I spend anything on myself. The same goes for time. I'll take care of everyone else's "favor" FIRST. So usually when I do decide to treat myself to something, be it a material item, or just time to sit and play with something. I don't get any trouble from my bride at all. It's just the opposite; she’s like a cheerleader. I work a full time job, and run my own IT/IS consulting business on the side. So when I want to do something for me, she is usually pushing for me to do it while I'm hemming and hawing over it.

Finally wifey would say, " Just order the darn thing. " And that would usually do it.
            My bride used to do this more often. Until late 1999! I would always get her the "Balls Marie" auto (within our budget of course.) But her vehicle would get everything, loaded to the fenders with every option, safety, comfort and luxury . But back in late 1999 I was having some drive train trouble with my vehicle, it had gone on for a couple of months, and visit after visit to the dealer brought little, if no resolution. So I got so tired of wasting my time that I got out of the lease a month early. Actually paid the last payment, and dropped it at the dealer. I was just glad to be out of it.

So then came "New Car" time. Which is a real "Zantac Moment" for me. There was a car that I was just crazy about , but buying it would mean doing something for myself. A beautiful, luxurious, fast (yet sporty), gem of a sedan. That I had been coveting, ever since it was introduced a year earlier. I talked about it all the time. So when it came time to replace the “problem vehicle,” the Mrs. told me over and over to “just get that car you want. You are always spoiling me, and then buying something practical, with minimal cost for yourself. You bust your ass; you never do anything for yourself. You love cars, you really, really want that car, and we certainly can afford it. Honey, just go get it.”

So I did!

Within 1,500 miles the front end started to shake. It took me 10 months, countless hours, dealer visits, letters, emails and phone calls, to remedy the situation. I LEMON LAW’D THE BASTARD!

Needless to say, Mrs. Dog is a little slower on the “go get it” trigger these days. And because of this episode, I’m probably worse then I ever was when it comes to a purchase commitment.

Phew, sorry about the length of this. It did stay within the context of the original question though.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I'm sorry guys. I must be the only manly man around here. I made my purchase after only, two, yes two days, deliberation. Oh, I love the smell of my own testosterone.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                Oh, I love the smell of my own testosterone.
                or am I a sissy buyer?
                :wtf: :LOL:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

LOL Rockdog - :rf Took me a while, but I finally figured out that WTF meant Wait Til February before ordering because that would be the proscribed procrastination period before pulling the trigger on a new purchase.

If it's any consolation, my wife pushed me to do it (I mean REALLY pushed) and I DO HAVE my great pangs of buyers remorse.

Actually, all you guys inspired me. It was good to know that I'm not alone in my neurosis. So, I figured I might as well get my guilt stuff over with.

Besides, you all made me jealous with your great speakers and I really, really wanted these speakers.

Now, the two week wait (they're on backorder) will be insufferable.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2003

LOL Rockdog - :rf Took me a while, but I finally figured out that WTF meant Wait Til February before ordering because that would be the proscribed procrastination period before pulling the trigger on a new purchase.

Now, the two week wait (they're on backorder) will be insufferable.

MR. Bry,

KUDOS! High marks for an exemplary definition of "WTF" in this case. Very Nice!

2 weeks back order :?

Holy Crap! That is the ultimate “scenario” for this thread. Finally pulling the trigger... only to find that not only is the weapon not loaded, but the target isn’t even there. :ARGH:

Take a box of these and call me in a month.

BTW. What type of speakers do you have now?

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

I have Klipsch reference speakers.

Oh, you ain't heard the end of the bad news. I just checked, found the front left/right speakers aren't shielded and one of them would have to go 3-4 inches from my Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I called them and they said a minimum distance of 18 inches is recommended.

I want to cry.

Fortunately, as a favor, another ACI owner with a Mitsubishi the same size as mine is going to run his Sapphire speaker right next to his TV tonight to see if there are any problems.

I hope you all cross your fingers for me.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• ht_addict
                        • Dec 2002

In the last 7mths I've made 2 major purchases. First was the Panasonic 47wx52 RPTV. Took me about 2 days to decide on buying it. Had to convince the significant other why I needed it. In the end she just gave up and I got the TV. At the time the deal on the set was $2977 with free RP62(which I sold for $300) and $240CDN in rebates. Put it on the 14mth no interest pay later program. My latest purchase was 3weeks ago when I walked into my Local audio shop after dropping of some used oil at the recycle depot. They had a Rotel RMB-1095 on a rack with no price. I asked one of the salesman and he told me $1800CDN since it was the last one and they wanted to get rid of it. I left with his business card, and began the process of trying to figure out how I could afford it. A week later I went back and negotiated a deal for $1550CDN with 4yr extended warranty(9yrs total). Put the amp on another pay 12mths from now deals and brought it home.

Moral of the story. If I want it I will get it. Given up talking to the significant other about it because she just doesn't understand. I only make the purchases if I know I can pay for them then or in the near future without affecting the family finances.

ht_addict

Comment

• Aeromos
                          • Jun 2003

I usually don't worry after I've made a purchase. I always do extensive homework prior to purchase so that I will be satisfied with what I've bought. We just have to put everything in perspective. Better gear will always come out so it's crazy to beat yourself over the head :g>'> because your gear isn't able to do 1-2 things that the newer gear does. But of course if you can afford it, why not buy it!!

ht_addict, which dealer did you get your RMB-1095 from? Was it in T.O?

Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection
                          Aeromos
                          My Collection

Comment

• Aeromos
                            • Jun 2003

Ooops!!

Aeromos
                            My Collection
                            Aeromos
                            My Collection

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

While I may agonize over a purchase for a long time BEFORE I pull the trigger while trying to make sure I've selected the right item at a "reasonable" price, the only times in decades past that I've ever regretted an audio system/HT purchase have been when I "cheaped out" and got something that wasn’t really what I wanted but:
                              1) cost less than the item I had my heart set on, thinking I would be getting performance and features that would be "close enough" and
                              2) cost just enough that I could no longer rationalize trying to buy the item I had originally desired (having already spent the money on a substitute).

This hasn't happened in the latest round of upgrades over the past five years because
                              1) in addition to doing the research before buying as always, I've not allowed myself to be persuaded by others' "it's just as good" BS on items that supposedly had a price advantage, preferring to trust my own judgment from pre-purchase hands-on use and demos and finding a way to spend the extra money if necessary to get what I really want (or continue to do without until I could),
                              2) I've been more successful in (adamant about) arranging in-home demos when I was down to the wire and needed more of a "comfort zone" that I was making the correct choice and
                              3) in that time, Audiogon and e-bay have become widely known and used so if I discover, after a period of use beyond what a dealer would allow for a return, that I had made the wrong choice, I could more easily make a course correction.

The Audiogon/e-bay "fix" hasn't been necessary yet, but it is nice to have resale as a safety net. I don't "churn hardware" but see this as a "last resort" to escape from "a good decision gone wrong", because it is more of a hassle than making the right decision up front. (thus the decision-making and testing process takes a while, once I've decided a new item is in the works.) I am more interested in enjoying the music and movies with the carefully chosen and well performing gear that I have than in testing and tweaking different components in my system all the time. Once I've settled in with a piece it is for the long haul. I do try to keep up with what is "out there" but do not feel the need to "possess" it until there are MAJOR advantages to owning something new, which doesn’t really happen very often. (Some folks enjoy that, and that is fine for them.)

Burke
                              Spelling and grammar checked by MS Word. If you find an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ht_addict
                                • Dec 2002

ht_addict, which dealer did you get your RMB-1095 from? Was it in T.O?
                                Picked it up from EHR in Hamilton. Last One they had since they're not carrying the line anymore. The deal was just too sweet to pass up.

ht_addict

Comment

• Aeromos
                                  • Jun 2003

ht_addict,

Does EHR have a site? Perhaps they list everything on clearance and what they have on hand. I'd drive to Hamilton for those kind of savings.

Aeromos
                                  My Collection
                                  Aeromos
                                  My Collection

Comment

• ht_addict
                                    • Dec 2002

Try http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca The deal was nice seeing it was 18% below cost. Now I just have to sell my Rotel RMB-1066 amp to help pay for the 1095.

ht_addict

Comment

• Aeromos
                                      • Jun 2003

ht_addict,

Thanks. It's too bad they only list mobile equipment. It would be nice if they had a page of their A/V equipment.

Aeromos
                                      My Collection
                                      Aeromos
                                      My Collection

Comment

• Danbry39
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Sep 2002

If anyone's interested, finally got my ACI's and all feared problems turn out to be pretty much non-factors.

See, we sweat so much over these things and they turn out all right anyway. Makes me wonder what guys like Woody Allen go through when they have to make a big decision.

If you're interested in the process I went through and my preliminary impressions, I posted a review in the Online Companies thread in the New Clubs section.

Thanks for helping a neurotic through his problems.

Keith

Keith
                                        Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Keith, I think I speak for many of us when I say that we are truly pleased to help you spend your money.

Seriously though, I'm glad the ACI's worked out for you.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                          Our "Theater"
                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Sep 2002

Thanks a lot David. I appreciate it.

Keith
                                            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

Yeah, Keith, congrats on the purchase.

My Homepage!
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"