If you could only keep one component from your current system, what would it be?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

If you could only keep one component from your current system, what would it be?

Was curious, of all the components you currently own, which would be that one component that you would choose to build your new system around? For me, it would be my Parasound power amp.

Even though there are plenty of power amps out there, this is probably the thing in my home theater that I'll probably keep the longest anyway. Love my pre-pro, but seriously will be considering upgrading in a year or two. My CD player is great, but again feel I could find another one out there easier and more cheaply than my power amp. DVD player: think universal. Speakers: Love different sounds, love to change speakers.

Anyone else? What is that one component you love above all others?

Keith
    Keith
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

My Cables. Oh wait, those aren't components, right?

Speakers too, or just components?

If just components, it would have to be my Lexicon MC-12

If it was everything, the Extremas stay, don't touch! LOL.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Yes, speakers too.

Somehow, I thought you'd choose your speakers first, followed by the Lexicon. Equipment I can only dream of...

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Sometimes, dreams come true, really. It's partly a matter of priorities. Of course, there is the matter of living expenses. Who needs to eat, right?

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

My couch.

While the rest of you are sitting on the floor staring at your totally useless amp, cable, etc. I can sit in comfort and read a book.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

My couch.
            While the rest of you are sitting on the floor staring at your totally useless amp, cable, etc.
            Now, that's funny. :rf

Lex,

I will probably end up buying some top end equipment eventually, but with one of my daughters starting college and me planning on surprising her with a Mini Cooper when she gets her driver's license, it will have to wait a bit. Still, I have a secret place where I stash around $3-400 cash a month just for HT hardware so that the money's there every time I want to buy something. But, don't tell my wife. :evil:

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yeah, I've got to vote for my speakers, too. The Aerials are by far the most discriminating pieces of musical equipment I own. They aren't quite up to Extrema standards but then again, what are?

Sili, good one. I'll just go to the den and plop on THAT couch to read. Hehe.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

hmm this is a tough one for myself. Most of my gear is all about the same mid-fi level so there's no one peice that stands above the others. I guess at this point I'd have to say either my Sony Wega, the front speakers or my pronto

Comment

• Pat
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

No contest...my speakers aren't going anywhere for long time

Pat's Page
                  Pat's Page

Comment

• efarstad
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2001

No doubt about it...my Martin Logan SL3's! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                    E-Cinema

Comment

• Harry Tuttle
                      • Jun 2003

Nothing in my system is a current standout.

`Black boxes' were not allowed in the house while I was married and everything was chosen with aesthetics in mind.

I am very happy with my current system (purchased post separation), but everything is earmarked for future upgrade.

I did shed a tear :cry: over some of the components I once did own (and now wish I still did). My Hafler amps and Jadis pre-pre amp come to mind.
                      Arrgh, the things we do for love. ops: ops: :roll: :roll:

But that is another topic.
                      What component you wished you still had.

Harry
                      Harry

Comment

• jaakan
                        • Dec 2002

My CD player and wires are the only think I keep the same in my system since the summer right before I started Highschool, I'm 24 you do the math. I'm not saying saying My speakers Genesis Genre II (old) and Magnepan MG12 two pair last year but the Stax SR34 earspeaker I have
                        are what I would pick.

side question , sorry it's on my mind.
                        Did Martin Logan make the ESL Sub that could kill people or burn down a house?

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                          Former Moderator
                          • Jan 2002

Panny RP91. Everything else needs to be upgraded starting with my speakers so I can't vote for them>

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                            I guess at this point I'd have to say either my Sony Wega, the front speakers or my pronto
                            Andrew -- I'm guessing it would take SURGERY to part you from your Pronto! :>)

While I pretty well like my whole system, if it really came down to keeping only one of the components I have now, it would be my main front speakers. I've used them successfully with a less capable amplifier and pre/pro in the past, (although I am certainly pleased at how well they respond to better electronics in the chain), and I even managed to get sound from them using Home Depot zip cord instead of the designer boutique speaker cable connected to them now. And short of a $20,000 Linn CD-12, the source front end stuff is pretty well interchangeable with anything from a Walkman to a Wadia. :>) The projector is getting long-in-the-tooth and needs replacing anyway. And when it goes, the DVD players will need upgrading too.

But no speakers that I've heard, from $50 "bookshelf-minis" to $50,000 active digital monsters, have matched the effortlessly dynamic, you-are-there, open and airy presentation of my current main front speakers. They "disappear", along with the boundaries of the room, and I just hear music as if I were in the same space as the performers. I'd have no need to upgrade them, even if I were assembling the rest of my system from scratch.

Burke

PS -- I ditched my sofa about four years ago in favor of Ekornes chairs. They aren't going anywhere either. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Burke,

Those speakers sound like something very special. You don't have to, of course, but I'm dying to know what they are.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Burke has the XXXXXX XXXs.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Thanks David.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• Wireless
                                    • Feb 2001

No! No! My mind is spinning

How can I chose between my Mike Parker Modded 9500LC 9" CRT and my Waveform Mach 17 speakers. It's madness I tell you!

John
                                    My HT Picts
                                    John
                                    My HT Picts

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

Man, you guys all have gear that makes me quiver with envy. Oh well, at least it gives me something to aspire toward. 8O

Keith
                                      Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I believe burke has these beauties

Comment

• dsmith
                                          • Jan 2003

An audio system is just that - a system of components that function as a whole to produce music or movie soundtracks. Removing or replacing any one component will essentially destroy the system as it was. A replacement may, or may not, be an improvement. And once you reach a certain level it is difficult to make changes that noticeably improve your sound; it is easier to make changes that degrade it if you are not careful.

My system is getting close to that level, so removing any component without knowing for sure a replacement would result in an improvement would be unthinkable. That said, and just for the sake of the thread, I will say the one unchanging constant (redundant I know) in my system has been my Digital Phase speakers and I can't imagine replacing them. I really do consider them among the best speakers you can buy at any price.

Dsmith

Comment

• Bob
                                            • Jul 2000

Silli was right as usual, I would keep my Eames lounge chair. But, that
                                            really wasn't the question. I have to approach this in a different way than how Danbry stated it. If I was to start all over again which components would I duplicate and which would I be willing to change. I would be willing to change my turntable but, not my Clearaudio Sigma Wood Cartridge. I wouldn't have any other speaker other than my Vandersteen 5's, well, the 5A's now that they are out. I also would duplicate my Casablanca, still like it better than the other pre-pros I have seen. Would rather have a Audio Research CD3 for CD playback rather than the Theta transports I have now using the extreme DACS of the Casablanca. I love my AR pre-amp but, could happily upgrade to the AR Reference ll, same with my phono stage, it is replaceable. A better grade of Clearaudio or VPI turntable to go with the cartridge would also work. I could easily give up all my cds, dvds, and lds, but not one of my records. I would rather listen to them with a $100 Denon turntable through a cheap receiver than CDs through the best system I have heard.

bob

Comment

• KS
                                              • Jun 2002

I have been following this thread with interest and wondering how to answer it. The most stable thing in my system is probably the subs. Two Aerial SW12s give me all the bass I imagine I'll ever need. I would also imagin my LR5s will be with me for a long time to come. If I ever hit the mother load and buy some ultra high end speakers I think I would keep the LR5s as rears. Everything else I own is on the "upgrade as opportunities present themselves" category.

Ken

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                • Dec 2002

Current System consists of:

Panny 47wx52 16:9 RPTV
                                                Panny RP82
                                                Marantz AV560U Pre/pro
                                                Rotel RMB 1095
                                                Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350/PS1000
                                                Marantz RC5000i

Since the RPTV and DVD player are only 8mths old they stay. Rotel amp was bought at a steal of a price($1550 with 9yr warranty) and just couldn't be replaced for the price. Speakers are the oldest but at the same time for the money they sound awesome. Remote does everything that you would need one to do and more. It stays. So that leaves the pre/pro to be upgraded to something with a few more features.

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"