• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

VCRs, the next boat anchor?

Survey says:

VCRs, do you use them? are they in the garage collecting dust? Destined to become a boat anchor on that yatch you've always wanted? (Or fishing dingy)

If they are in your system and you don't use it, is it actually hooked up?

If you use it, how often do you use it, and for what? Do you actually watch what you record, or is it some bizarre ritual that started years ago, and your just afraid to stop?

I'm curious. Like all my surveys, I reserve my comments for later.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My VCR is connected to my system and performs a vital role ...its my clock I do record the odd show here and there but not very often since with the timeshifting on the dish if I miss a show I'll just wait a little bit and pick it up on another timezone.

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

My VCR is still in the cabinet with the sat receiver under the TV. It does act as a dust collector. Once in a great while I'll actually remember to record a show. I really can't remember the last time I used it though. Still haven't given any thought to buying a boat to go along with the anchor.

Robbie

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

HA!!!
        Was away for the last two weeks on my tenth wedding anniversary now I'm back with a flu .....anyway here is always a place to use some quality time until the NeoCitron takes effect :?

VCRs....well had two gave one away on my last move. I have a good collection of kids movies on VHS and I prefer my nieces and nephews to operate the vcr than the dvd player receiver etc. Once in a while if my wife or I are gonna miss a show due to work or ??? I'd set it to record.

So it still plays a vital role in my setup but does gather the most dust!!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

We had one attached to the TIVO in the family room for dumping "overflow" shows that hadn't been watched yet, but since it never got used, it went to the Orcas Island house. Both kids have a VCR in their rooms, but those rarely get used either.

Boat anchor is about right.

Clive, congratulations on the decade of marital bliss! :T

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Ha, like Andrew my VCR also plays the vital role as a Clock in my system :LOL:

I do use it from time to time to record the odd program, we also have a huge collection of Family VHS movies, that we'll dig out from time to time (if they have not be replaced on DVD).

Surprizingly, last night I taped a show for Christine from Movie Central (My House in Umbra), her and Katherine watched it later that evening. Christine's first response was, "Wow, does that ever look terrible. It's amazing how we've taken DVD for granted..."
            Still, it did the trick for it enabled her to finish a movie she had to abandon mid way.

So Yes, it still has an important role as clock and taping. Most times I find if I want record something, I'll just record it on my PC's TV Tuner and then burn to VCD if it's a keeper.

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Rock Dog
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2003

:LOL: I am always squinting to see what time it is on that big black Sony clock in the bottom of the T.V> cabinet.

I use it to look at family stuff mostly. Every now and then, like during the hockey playoffs, we use it to catch a show or two. But usually, on that rare occasion that 3 things we want to see are playing. Then it's T.V., TiVo and VCR.

The kids have a 13" TV/VCR combo in their room, and on the weekends like to watch one of there tapes to fall asleep to. 3 VCR's in the house and that one gets the most use.

And yes, it's amazing how bad the picture is.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

My VCR serves as the TV tuner for my projector, and by default, the TV tuner for all the other display devices too, since I'd rather listen to sound over my HT speakers than from the PC speakers or the speaker in a 14 inch TV. Since some of you know how important TV viewing is to me, you can guess how vital a role the VCR plays, too. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Eduardo
                  Moderator emeritus
                  • Jun 2002

Good question Lex. I currently have 3 VCRs. We never tape any shows. They have rarely been used except for Allison's work out tapes. Now that she getting them on DVD thier even being used less.The one in the bedroom can't rewind anymore. Tts going to sold in my garage sale and a DVD player will replace it. The Sony in the bonus room is in my cabinet but its not even connected ops: The one that gets used the most is in the den.

Congratulations Clive. :dothewave:

I prefer my nieces and nephews to operate the vcr than the dvd player receiver etc.
                  Great idea.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

I haven't even owned a VCR for the last 5-6 years. Don't waste my time with analog video!!

I am always squinting to see what time it is on that big black Sony clock in the bottom of the T.V> cabinet.
                    LOL!!
                    That's a feature I wish someone would build in to a DVD player or something. I miss the clock.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• TonyPTX
                      • Apr 2003

Like most people, here, my VCR serves as the "atomic clock" of the house since it gets it's time correction from the cable company. I don't watch TV enough to have digital cable or dish service, so my VCR also functions as the cable tuner for my HT. I record the occasional show, but never seem to have time to watch the damn things...my blanks pile is stacking up.

"Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."
                      "Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I own 4 vcrs. One is connected in my HT ( can't remember when I used it last), one in my office/den/tv room, and one in the sitting room my wife uses. The other one is sitting on a shelf in the closet. I will occasionally use the vcr in my tv room to tape something for wifey( she still can't set the thing) and sometimes something for myself, but the times are far and few between.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

you guys got some big a$$ clocks there, :LOL:

Myself, mine isn't hooked up. It was at one time, then after rebuilding my system recently, it just didn't get hooked up. But that Clock thing is a good idea. Atomic clock, ha.

Good posts folks, nice VU meter Tony.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• sdecker
                            • Jun 2002

Dont even own one anymore. Since Tivo came along dont really see the point.

I do have about 10-15 tapes floating around somewhere, couldnt tell you whats on them.

Earle

Comment

• Wireless
                              • Feb 2001

Talking about taking a step backward (then forward?) I haven't bought a VCR in 6 years, then a month ago purchased a JVC 30k D-Theater HDVCR. Now I have purchased about 10 prerecorded movies and I have never seen an image as good as the X-Men Dtheater tape. I hate the tape format but love the picture quality. This one will probably become a boat anchor if Bluray HD-DVD is adopted but for the next 2 or 3 years, the JVC unit is my preferred video source.

John
                              My HT Picts
                              John
                              My HT Picts

Comment

• Aeromos
                                • Jun 2003

I actually can't remember the last time I watched a movie on our vcr. I usually use it to watch a movie that I haven't bought on DVD yet. Our vcr is constantly moving from room to room. My wife uses it for her work out tapes and the kids use it most for their movies and to hook up the PS2 to our analog tv since it only has a coax connection.

Aeromos
                                Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                My Collection
                                Aeromos
                                Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                My Collection

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
                                  • Jun 2002

I guess I’m the odd man out (as usual!).

We have three older JVC S-VHS models, mid-to-late 90s, all connected to our system and all in use. We watch a lot of TV, and we do a lot of time shifting since my wife travels often with her job. Occasionally we’ll be using all three at the same time, especially on “bottleneck” nights when 3-4 shows are all on the same night.

One VCR is connected to a cable TV feed, another to an OTA antenna. The third can be switched between antenna and CATV, although it usually stays connected to the antenna, since most of the shows we watch are on broadcast TV.

When we watch TV with the system on, the VCR’s serve as our tuners. A benefit of having the CATV go to only one of the VCR’s is that if there is the occasional ground loop, it’s only a problem when we’re watching cable TV – not broadcast or DVD’s.

The JVC’s have rather small, rather dim clock displays, so I use an old 80’s model audio timer for that function.

I haven’t switched to TIVO etc. because I’m not willing to pay the per-month or hefty up-front for as many as we’d need. Not to mention, I bought all these JVC’s back when good S-VHS machines cost between $400-700; needless to say, I’m reluctant to ditch that kind of money while they’re still working fine.

Regards,
                                  Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

My JVC SHVS unit will not become a boat anchor until my Star Wars trilogy VHS apes become landfill.

BB

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

Like Brandon, I still have too many VHS tapes lying around to totally discard my VCR's. Some, like Star Wars and Ox-Bow Incedent, aren't yet available on DVD. Anyway, my youngest daughter still records her Pokemon, etc. on them. :roll:

Keith
                                      Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

I said VHS *apes* , whatever those are.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                          • Oct 2002

I gave my VCR to a needy customer 1 year ago, with all my Disney movies in VHS for his 4 kids. Since then, I never miss it!

And I know it's making the joy of 4 little kids that could not afford it...
                                          To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jaakan
                                            • Dec 2002

Star Wars on VHS? Honestly, I never know they came out on VHS. I grow up with the Star Wars trilogy on Laser Disc and also grow up with LED players too. Anyone remember LED players?

The VCR is not boat anchor with my family but a paper weight and a clock.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                                              • Aug 2000

No VCR since 1997. (just got back from an extended trip in the middle east, just wanted to say Howdy).

Ken
                                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"