X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

HD DVD PLAYERS....

Will these have DVI outs as well as component ? I would imagine so. My new PJ accepts DVI and I have been considering the new Samsung, but I domn't have money to waste right now and think I will wait for the new HI-DEF dvd players, when and if they ever decide on a format. Right now it looks like there may be two (possibly three) formats. Sheesh.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

With all the MPAA jitters and paranoia about piracy chances are HD DVD players will have *only* DVI output, no component, or if it does have component it'll be 480i/480p only. Which stinks for the bajillion of us out there with HDTV sets that don't have DVI... :banghead:

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Absodamnlutely Right!!!!

Kevin, I'm in the same boat - spent a chunk on a Pioneer Elite HD-ready RPTV and now it looks like I'll get to watch down-res'd HD only. Motherf*****s!
      :hb :evil: :banghead: :bash:

Sorry for the rant. Now, back OT. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I feel your pain guys, really. For once, I am glad I sat this one out on the sidelines with my Pro-119.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Yep, once again the entertainment industry alienates some of its best customers. When will we learn....

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yes, this makes me think the entertainment industry is out to screw us all again. But lets think about this a littel bit.

These new DVD players with "upsampling" to HD res (like the Samsung) will only output on DVI because of the MPAA. But you can do the same thing with a computer- on good ole RGB.

Now, it's hard for me to imagine that they will bring out an HD DVD system, and prevent it from being able to play back on a standard PC. As long as there is a software player, and it will play on a standard monitor at full screen, then one will be able to drive external high res display with RGB inputs or component inputs- because analog transcoders between RGB and component are available, and they aren't that hard to build (I have a homemade one, even- a few video opamps, some digital glue logic for sync regeneration, and the color matrix circuit- plus a +/- 12V power supply in a 1 height rack chassis).

So these limitations on the functionality of "consumer" gear seem pretty arbitrary and pretty stupid. What else is new, though....

In fact, a little known point is that the first, early, "primitive" HD DVD of sorts will be released this June- when the T2 Extreme release comes out. In addition to a new mastering of the T2 movie for DVD, using a "pristine" 1080P master, there will be another DVD disk which will have a WM9 encoded version of the movie at 1280X720P. This will play on a computer with DX9 and WM9, and sufficient horsepower- that being about a 2.4 GHz P4, or a 1.8 GHz Athlon. I've got my desktop able to play this format, and the existing WM9 HD demo's are pretty impressive, even just at 6.5 MBit/s data rate (average). If you have a broadband connection, you can download the "Confidence", "Foriegn Affair", and "Step into the Liquid" HD WM9 trailers from Microsoft; they're in the 100-120MB area, so they aren't for slow connections. They look pretty dang good, maybe not quite ATSC, but a very big step above the best DVD's.

~Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

Now, it's hard for me to imagine that they will bring out an HD DVD system, and prevent it from being able to play back on a standard PC
              That's what my understanding of what the MPAA wants to do is. They seem to want total control of all hardware platforms that can playback a film in HD resolutions. Without a digital out to a digital display device, we may be screwed. I hope I'm wrong!

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"