Is DVI Siginificantly Better than Component Video?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vsarathy
    • Oct 2003

Is DVI Siginificantly Better than Component Video?

I had posted this in the "Home Theater" forum as well but I thought that it may receive a better reply here.

My questions is whether the DVI input to a FP makes it significantly better than the Component Video input. As the only players with DVI input with reasonable price tag (< $500), namely, Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931, seem to have complaints from its users, I have been thinking of getting a Denon DVD-1600 before it disappears off the shelves as it is being replaced by another model.

Any opinions?
    Thanks
    Viji
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There are advantages of DVI as it keeps the signal digital all the way to the projector but new players like the Liteon 2001 that can upconvert the image to 1080i over componet offer most of the same benefits and you don't need to have a DVI complient projector or TV to use it.

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

DVI is much more about copy protection than quality.
      Having the connection digital all the way through is nice, but the quality difference may not be visible.

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Oh, I think it would be visible on any FP system. If you have a very top notch player outputting component it might be a small difference, but it will still be noticeable.

The improvement for me was pretty significant. It made a difference in nearly every aspect of the picture. Recalibrating to the DVI input got me closer to my PJs theoretical contrast, better color, less (none) noise, etc. My older DVD player was by no means top notch ($600 Pioneer F727), but I have also compared the D1 to the RP82, and it certainly beats it hands down (except for skipping, misloading and generally being an annoying buggy piece of equipment). It should be a clue that I continue to use it in spite of this what is does for my picture though.

And it does not apply HDCP, so not an issue. Dean - I know you must have seen some setup with DVI in action, and I am therefore a little mystified at your opinion. What setup did you make the comparison in?

The Liteon is built on the same chipset and processor board minus the DVI output. It also uses a different loader, but given that the main board and power supply board look to me to be the same, I hope the Liteon does not begin to show problems as the D1 has.

BB

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I don't have a DVI pj, however, I can safely say, I've seen no artifacts in my HD feeds from my Samsung via component. The samsung does have DVI, so someday I may try DVI. But I don't personally look for earthshattering improvements over my quality Tigress component video cable transmission. Of course I would say that.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

Brandon,

I have an RP82 and it's worked flawlessly for me.

But I did have it modified for SDI output to go into my H3D scaler.

I'm not saying that DVI isn't a very good connection. It is digital, so the video has less conversions on the way to the projector. But I've seen some very nice picture quality from VGA and component video connections as well.

-Dean.

Comment

• Energeezer
              • Sep 2002

There are some definate advantages to using DVI as you have seen listed here previously.
              A word of caution is in order however.
              You need to ask someone using the same PJ as yourself with DVI. The reason being that (as an example) the very popular NEC HT1000 disables contrast and brite controls when recieving DVI.
              So you need to make sure there are no upcoming surprises with your PJ.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Frank T.
                • Oct 2003

I've been using the DVI-HDCP output (activated by a company of my trust) of the Marantz DV 8400 together with the NEC HT 1000 since September 1.

Here is the irony: component fed analog signals had a cold, disappointing video look while the DVI fed digital signal revealed a 35mm film quality picture, rich in colors, three-dimensionality and an incredible reduction of edge enhancement and other annoying artefacts.

My customers agreed wholeheartedly and each time I presentend component fed video I was forced to turn my head way (to avoid puking) until the customer asked - finally - for DVI.

NEC has issued information on how to overcome the control problem with DVI input.

One last word of advise: Judging DVI by what the Samsung does to it, is no reliable judgement at all. Recent tests by the German home theatre press reveal it to be extremely disappointing.

Frank T.
                Frank T.

Comment

• Energeezer
                  • Sep 2002

NEC has issued information on how to overcome the control problem with DVI input.
                  Frank
                  Please elaborate. I know of many who will be pleased to hear of a workaround other than using a HTPC and its vid card overlay controls.
                  Steve

Comment

• Frank T.
                    • Oct 2003

"NEC HT1000 DVI-Adjustments

1. "Advanced Menu" - "Picture Management"

2. Select one of "User1-4" and goto "Setting"

3. Select one of "Video, Movie, Game, Graphic, sRGB" from "Reference Setting" (If you select Graphic, then some menu will not be displayed)

4. Off the check on Color Temperature

Now, you can adjust Gamma Correction, Color Correction and White Balance. In the menu of White Balance, you can adjust Brightness and Contrast."

That's the information forwarded by a colleague of mine, hope it helps.

Frank T.
                    Frank T.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"