X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cougar Guy
    • Feb 2003

Will vibrations harm a RPTV . . .

Hey everyone. I just bought a Toshiba TheatreWide 50H82 and I love the tv. Cable is okay, DVD's ROCK!!! I can't wait until I get Hi-Def this fall

Anyway, should I be concerned about damaging the internal components of the TV if I have the sub too close to it? Right now the sub is within a few feet of the tv because of room limitations. I don't play my system at obscence levels but I'm wondering if I'll be doing any harm by having the sub placed too close to the tv cabinet . . . I guess I'm not too sure how delicate the internal workings of the RPTV's are. I would expect that they would be engineered to stand up to the rigours of HT, but I don't want to assume anything. I figure I may have to adjust the convergence more often but so long as having the sub that close will not cause permanent damage, I'm not too worried about having to do the adjustments more frequently.

Any feedback?

Thanks!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the sub is touching the TV and you routinely run 100+ db test tones through it. If a RPTV can survive bouncing around in the back of a truck it can handle the comparatively modest vibrations a sub puts out.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

CGuy, ditto. I'm running a Velodyne FSR-15 about 3 feet from my RPTV and have had no problems with excess need for convergences or other problems. And, I have been known to listen at obscene levels. Hehe.
      Don't worry - enjoy! :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Same here. Waaaaay back when I owned a RPTV my sub was right alongside it and didn't hurt anything.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Yes, there isn't any need to worry here. A lot of people put there subs adjacent their TV's, myself included, and I've never heard of any damage occuring because of this. Like Kevin said, I wouldn't have the sub rubbing right up next to it though, but, even then, I'd be more afraid of cosmetic damage than harm to the internals. Just an inch or so of breathing room should be fine.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Cougar Guy
            • Feb 2003

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I'm glad to know that I can play away without freaking out!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Now, we didn't say ANYTHING about YOU not freaking out! A sub-20 Hz signal at about 115 db might do the trick on you. . . . Got a row of 18" Velodyne's?

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                • Feb 2003

Nah . . . just a single Paradigm PW-2200. I think I would be asked to leave my house by my girlfriend if I ever had the wall of Velodyne's . . . not that it wouldn't be tempting :LOL:

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

I've been running the same projo for almost 6yrs with 2 large Definitive Tech subs with no problem at all.You might want to turn off your main speakers and run some low freq though your sub and check for vibrations coming off the tv that can effect sound quality.Some of the newer projo's can buzz quite a bit (ie:Sony-lots of plastic) causing nasty sounding resonances.Check your whole room while you're at it.Good luck.

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Good idea Claude... though the original topic was would vibrations harm a RPTV, and we've established that they won't, I suppose a supplemental concern would be, would a vibrating TV affect the sound of your system. I for one have seen RPTVs whose screens rattle during low-frequency sweeps. It would be a good thing to check for at the very least.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"