X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Questions about mechanics of RDC-7 E-Upgrade2

For those of you who pulled the trigger on the "send it in" upgrade :

1) did you actually get an e-mailed confirmation when the box was shipped as promised in their online order area?

2) did it appear that they charged your credit card immediately or only when the box was shipped?

3) how long did it take from the time they took your order online until the box showed up at your door (or other designated delivery point) ?

4) what kind of instructions accompanied the box:
    a) return shipping instructions (eg. how to notify carrier, addressing information, etc.),
    b) time limit on turnaround (if any),
    c) packing details.

Thanx-

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Greg Staten
    • Sep 2001

1) did you actually get an e-mailed confirmation when the box was shipped as promised in their online order area?
    Nope. I was a little concerned about it at first, but then the box arrived.

2) did it appear that they charged your credit card immediately or only when the box was shipped?
    It was charged immediately but I also believe the box was shipped immediately.

3) how long did it take from the time they took your order online until the box showed up at your door (or other designated delivery point) ?
    I ordered mine on a Sunday and it arrived on the following Thursday.

4) what kind of instructions accompanied the box:
    - Packing materials and shipping instructions were included.

- A prepaid UPS label was included.

I just looked at the materials they included and there is no time limit listed.

-greg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Thanks, greg, for that info. Although it has been over a week since I placed my order, I guess I'll chalk up the delay to the flood of orders they must have gotten close to the price increase deadline. :>) And I'll wait patiently a little while longer for the brown van to pull up to my door. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Talk about timing. A few minutes ago, I was just about to fire off an email to Integra Research regarding the upgrade (mainly wondering if my order had ever gotten out of their "inbox", since it had been over two weeks since I placed my order and I had still seen nothing) -- and the doorbell rang.

The UPS lady was holding a big carton with smashed edges. So I knew it had to be the box for RDC-7 upgrade. :>) Before she handed it over, I joked that it was light but bulky and she said that she really likes packages like that. :>)

The "one-size-fits-all" shipping carton doesn't look very sturdy but that is what Onkyo (aka "Integra Research") provided, and I guess with the foam inserts, the RDC-7 might survive the trip. And it is insured during transit. So Monday, it goes to someplace I've never heard of before in Michigan. :>)

BTW -- I have still never received an email acknowledging the upgrade order even though the order page said that would be forthcoming when the box was shipped to me. But at least the box finally got here. So stay tuned. I'll post more when I know more. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Frank
          • Jul 2002

Good luck Burke...At least you are not dealing with United Radio. Maybe you will have it back in a week. All in all I am glad I took the plunge

Frank

Frank
          Frank

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Frank
            At least you are not dealing with United Radio.
            That's right. The outfit in Michigan doing the upgrade is "ABL Corp.".

And, according to their online tracking info, UPS delivered my RDC-7 to its destination in Michigan about 20 minutes ago. So now it is up to the service depot to "do it right" over the next few days and get it on its way back to me. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

My RDC-7 arrived back in my hands yesterday afternoon (Sep 25) and is now back in service in my HT. (Like I was going to put off for another day getting it connected up.) :>)

One thing I notice right off is that switching between modes (e.g., "Stereo" and "DPL II Music") is MUCH quicker than before. And as Leslie pointed out in another thread, the sound just seems a tad bit "clearer" now. (Of course there is no way we will be able to do a side-by-side comparison, pre and post upgrade.) I also like the way the display shows DD EX and DTS Discrete 6.1 instead of making you "assume" as it did before that an advanced mode was operative.

I can't say that I am too thrilled by the "Upgraded" sticker they applied to the front panel -- at least they could have centered it above the "AV Controller RDC-7" legend. But I am not about to peel it off!

I'm just glad to have it back in one piece and (still) sounding so good! More later.

Burke

Comment

• Greg Staten
                • Sep 2001

Wow - an impressive turnaround time.

I dropped the RDC-7 off at UPS last Monday on my way to the airport, and it was waiting for me when I returned home from work today. Five business days including shipping both ways. Very very impressive.

Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet and may not get a chance until tomorrow, but it is back in the rack.

Incidentally, they put the first upgrade sticker on as well as the new upgrade sticker. (I hadn't bothered to stick the first one on.)

Burke, how long was your upgrade's round trip?

-greg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

greg -

It took six business days, or eight calendar days total.

I dropped the box off at UPS on Tuesday, Sept 17, and it arrived at ABL, Inc. in Michigan on Sept 19. The service ticket included in the box upon its return indicated that the upgrade was completed in one day (finished on the 20th, a Friday). UPS picked it up from them on Monday, Sept 23 and it was in my hands again on Wednesday, Sept 25.

Not bad turnaround at all. In fact, rather impressive, since it appears they did the job correctly. :>)

Burke

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"