X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Dedicated HT Update

Now that the membership has taken a big increase, it's time to get an update:
    HOW MANY FELLOW HT GUIDER'S HAVE A DEDICATED HT ?

Dedicated means a room especially set aside for your home theater use, and can include music listening set-up as well.

I have a room in the basement ( no windows) for HT use only. Music set-up is in the living room upstairs. The room startted out as a rec room with a RPTV and then I got rid of two windows so I could have total light control as I shifted to front projection.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I do! see pictures on my website by clicking the button below.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Good question, George -

People on "another forum" tell me that even though I painted the walls and ceiling of my living room 18 % neutral grey (except the matte black wall with the permanently fixed-wall-mount projection screen) and put stationary light control shades over the windows (plus some other light control measures), removed the sectional sofa to allow "theater style" seating (although the Ekornes chairs are MUCH more comfortable than "theater seats") and have two racks of equipment and six tall panel or tower speakers in the room (plus a fairly good sized subwoofer), I don't really have a "dedicated" HT room since I also have my main (non-HTPC) computer and printers in the same room and sometimes even eat meals in here when I am NOT watching a movie. But what do they know? :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Who says you can't have a couch in a dedicated HT?

BB

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ya' see Burke, that's what you get when you stray to other forums - exposure to the un-washed heathen. What do they know?
          :

I have a dedicated room, but at the same time I don't. Let's try it another way: Once I get the renovation on my room complete and the RPTV and electronics moved back in and re-connected, THEN I'll have a dedicated room. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Brandon B
            Who says you can't have a couch in a dedicated HT?"
            Only die hard "purists" who also insist you have to have a popcorn machine and ticket booth to qualify. :>) As far as I'm concerned, you can have any kind of furniture you want in a dedicated HT as long as it doesn't detract from the movie viewing or music listening. (Doesn't even matter if it is hideous or looks ridiculous, as long as it doesn't yield distracting reflections from the projector or emit light of its own in your field of view when the lights are out.) :>)

One of my friends has a very comfortable couch in his HT and I've even seen some with multiple couches -- but they are all arranged facing the screen. The ones behind the front row are on riser platforms. If you have to crane your head or twist your neck to view the screen, you are NOT in a dedicated HT. (At least not in a very well arranged one.) :>)

If couches are perpendicular to the screen, then they are for lying-down-on-only while watching a movie or TV, or they (and chairs in the same configuration) are for sitting in during conversation. A sectional sofa almost guarantees that a portion of it will be in the wrong position, and the one I ditched was just too bulky (took up too much floor space) for the amount of seating it rendered.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"