X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

IMPORTANT - Windows RPCSS Vulnerability MS03-039

Hey folks, in an effort to get Windows patches applied BEFORE the next big worm hits, I'm posting links to download the patch for the MS03-039 RPCSS vulnerability.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-039 Buffer Overrun In RPCSS Service Could Allow Code Execution (824146)

To download the patch, click on one of the following links for whatever version of Windows you're running. Once the page comes up, the download link will appear in the upper right hand corner of the page. If you're running Windows 95, 98, or ME, you are not affected by this vulnerability. You can also get the patch from Windows Update.

Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (requires Service Pack 6a)
    Windows NT Server 4.0 (requires Service Pack 6a)
    Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition (requires Service Pack 6)
    Windows 2000 (requires Service Pack 2 or higher)
    Windows XP (requires Service Pack 1 or XP Gold)

Go here for more information, or for patches for other versions, such as 64-bit Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.

After applying the patch, you will have to reboot. If you're not prompted to reboot, it means the patch was already applied (perhaps through Windows Update).

This patch supersedes MS03-026 which covered the RPC vulnerability that allowed the Blaster worm to spread.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

For those who haven't patched yet, better do it soon, as it may soon be exploited, and the next Blaster-like worm attack could be upon us in the next few weeks. I'm starting to see TCP port 593 scans on my firewall, so some are already probing for vulnerable systems.

SANS - RPCSS Vulnerability Update

It's easier to patch now, than to cleanup, disinfect and patch compromised machines later!

Run, don't walk, and patch, patch, patch!

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"