X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nezz621
    • Dec 2006

IS my room fit for a projector

Ok, so I'm currently renovating my basement and i'd like to make a room dedicated to watching movies and playing video games (the room should be about 14' by 18' i beleive (but the projector will only have the 14 feet fron wall to wall b/c of the room's design). I'd really like a projector, but i have some concerns.

First off, the ceiling height is about 7 feet tall. Is this too low for a projector?

Secondly, the basement contains a woodstove, which means heat and smoke for the projector. Is this a problem because i know the woodstove occasionally smokes up the basement if its lit the wrong way (this only happens once or twice a year).

Finally, if the first two questions can be dealt with, theres a hot water heater which makes noise and i'd like to cover the noise by putting certain sound dampeners in the wall and for the vent thats going into the wall. ANy suggestions on how to decrese the sound of the hot water heater?

I realize this isnt the best place to have a projector, but its the only place i can do it atm.
  • ToddAnisman
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by nezz621
    Ok, so I'm currently renovating my basement and i'd like to make a room dedicated to watching movies and playing video games (the room should be about 14' by 18' i beleive (but the projector will only have the 14 feet fron wall to wall b/c of the room's design). I'd really like a projector, but i have some concerns.

First off, the ceiling height is about 7 feet tall. Is this too low for a projector?

Secondly, the basement contains a woodstove, which means heat and smoke for the projector. Is this a problem because i know the woodstove occasionally smokes up the basement if its lit the wrong way (this only happens once or twice a year).

Finally, if the first two questions can be dealt with, theres a hot water heater which makes noise and i'd like to cover the noise by putting certain sound dampeners in the wall and for the vent thats going into the wall. ANy suggestions on how to decrese the sound of the hot water heater?

I realize this isnt the best place to have a projector, but its the only place i can do it atm.
    As far as the Physical size of the Room, you're fine. My Theater is smaller, about 9x15. I have a Panny AE-700, which can throw about a 120" picture at that distance.

As for smoke and heat- Heat will be a bigger issue than the occasional smoke... exactly how hot does it get down there? are there any windows to get some fresh air? You might consider an AC unit maybe????

As for the water heater, can you enclose it in a room? I fso, you can effectively kill the sound by using some good contruction. Let us know some more details....

-Todd A.

Comment

• nezz621
      • Dec 2006

It does get hot if the wood stove is used, but not so hot that its unbearable. It is pretty much comfortable unless the woodstove is overstuffed (which never really happens). I figure the projector will be at least 20+ feet away from the woodstove, and the heat is all vented to other rooms upstairs. Also, there are three windows in the basement in case of smoke or too much heat.

We only use the woodstove maybe 3 months out of the year. SO far this year its only been used twice.

The entire basement is about 30' by 15', but the room for the home theater will be take up most of that.The water heater is definitely being walled off and sound proofed as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Smoke IS an issue. If the PJ is going to be subjected to smoke when not in use, you absolutely need to bag it with something to keep the smoke out of it. If subject to smoke while in use, even worse.

Quick way to get crap in your optics.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Agreed that the room is not too small. Not optimal, but you can make it work.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jariten
            • Jun 2000

Aem....you just wait and see what I'm setting up with a Barco 1209s

o_O

wife already killed me 3 times over....

^_^;;;;;;;

currently building the screen using WilsonArt Laminate

the new AV rack is built using Bosch-RexRoth Material

most cables are cat cables ^_^V

Pictures will be up as soon as I get my last parts...and calibrate the whole thing !

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

NeZ the room sounds OK to me
            tell your kidz not to smoke in that room and you'll be just dandy....

=))

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I had a basement home theater in my last house and first I don't think that the lower ceiling will present and issue. A ceiling mounted projector in such a room usually has the projector's lens aligned with the top of the screen, so unles you have people sitting very close to the screen and standing up (blocking the image) it should be fine.

I had a water heater in my basement HT as well as an upstairs in floor heater which lit up at times, and neither one presented much of a distraction from movie enjoyment.
              I eventually upgraded the 25 year old water heater with a new one which was quieter. But even if the noise was louder and I didn't want to upgrade the heater I could fairly easily build a simple insulated 3-wall enclosure for the unit.

If you really saw the smoke and heat potential in the basement as a problem you could build a simple enclosure box with fans and flexible vents that drew in cool, fresh air from above (or outside), and vented hot air out. I have a Whisperflow enclosure which worked very well, and I've seen fairly simple (but effective) home made hushbox enclosures that handle projector air circulation very well.

Again, if you rarely use the heater then it might not be much of a problem after all.

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Brandon B
                Smoke IS an issue. Quick way to get crap in your optics.
                BB
                oh it's a lot worse than that. If you have a warranty claim and they get the slightest whiff of smoke in the PJ your claim will be instantly rejected. But don't get me started on warranty's :rant:
                AFAIK, the only projectors that are totally immune to smoke and dust are CRT's but you guys knew I was going to say that right? Curt Palme has actually been replacing a lot of LCD's and DLP's in Vancouver sports bars with CRT's because they were dying very quickly in that environment. I guess they can still smoke and drink up in Bars up there?

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Panasonics midlevel fixed install DLPs have a sealed optics train (PT-3600, 5600, 7700), very good in crappy environments. Our rides don't have smoke, but they have a lot of other airborne stuff in the early stages that a Pj has to survive.

BB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"